Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m from Chicago. I applied for benefits (04/2021) a year after I left my old job (06/2020). It was a daycare. I worked there only 5 months. I left due to reasons of lack of safety including Covid-19 and other small details (went from 40 hrs to 20 hrs, etc). after that, I worked for Uber eats, Grubhub, Postmates for almost 7 months (still trying to find a new job though). When I applied for benefits, It showed 2 jobs. my first job and the daycare. My first job had the resignation letter online. The daycare never put a reason why I wasn’t working with them anymore. It was blank. I never signed a resignation letter nor was given one. So, I decided to put “laid-off” due to Covid-19. Benefits were approved and ended in 09/2021. I will be working a new job in a month.
After more than a year later; not working for that job anymore, I received a letter stating “A question has been raised regarding your eligibility for unemployment. Interview is requested because [daycare job] reports you voluntarily quit.”
What should I do?
What should I say on the interview? Should I stick to my word?

- I did not signed a resignation letter. Only texted my director I will not be working with them anymore and thanks for the opportunity.
- Got the letter after I already received my benefits
*Interview is in 4 days*

thank you in advance.

Last edited by merbar1; 12-19-2021 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: more details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 06:58 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
A text message is the same as a written document. If they produce the text showing what you said you wrote, it will be accepted as a voluntary quit.

The first thing you need to do is research why it took so long to be informed of the potential disqualification. If it was due to the employer's apathy, you have the making of potentially having the issue dismissed as untimely. Next you'll need to do is show that your quit was due to a non-disqualifying reason. Show the reduction from full-time to part time. Show the monetary wages lost due to that reduction. You need to also find out what federal and state requirements for COVID precautions were mandated at the time you quit and how your former employer failed to adhere to them.

A word of caution, were you working those gig jobs while collecting unemployment? if so, did you report it to unemployment? Those jobs may also cause an issue as it can be argued you voluntarily became self-employed so you'll have to show why you aren't working those jobs anymore.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:05 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merbar1 View Post

- I did not signed a resignation letter. Only texted my director I will not be working with them anymore and thanks for the opportunity.
You gave notice that you'd be leaving. That means you quit. Don't be surprised if they want their money back.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A text message is the same as a written document. If they produce the text showing what you said you wrote, it will be accepted as a voluntary quit.

The first thing you need to do is research why it took so long to be informed of the potential disqualification. If it was due to the employer's apathy, you have the making of potentially having the issue dismissed as untimely. Next you'll need to do is show that your quit was due to a non-disqualifying reason. Show the reduction from full-time to part time. Show the monetary wages lost due to that reduction. You need to also find out what federal and state requirements for COVID precautions were mandated at the time you quit and how your former employer failed to adhere to them.

A word of caution, were you working those gig jobs while collecting unemployment? if so, did you report it to unemployment? Those jobs may also cause an issue as it can be argued you voluntarily became self-employed so you'll have to show why you aren't working those jobs anymore.
Thank you for replying, I just hope they do not have that text message. That will probably be my last hope. If they do, I mean, I’ll just pay it back. I’m going to start working soon.
And about working those side jobs, no. I was working those right after I left the daycare from 07/2020-02/2021. I Applied for benefits this year not last year. After I got accepted with benefits, still looked for jobs on Illinois Job Link was looking for a place to stay because I did not have a settled spot. I have proof only of the hour reductions.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merbar1 View Post
Thank you for replying, I just hope they do not have that text message. That will probably be my last hope. .
They aren't going to share their "evidence" with you during the interview. Getting caught lying is not going to go well for you.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:19 PM

313 posts, read 346,982 times
Any updates Merbar?

I had a phone interview today regarding eligibility.
Lady said she is going to verify what I said with my employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment