Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 11:46 AM

313 posts, read 346,982 times

Advertisements

I received a settlement check (not that much) as a result of Door Dash being sued (I deliver for Door Dash part time).

I'm certifying for benefits and it asks "did you receive any other type of income?"

Do I include the settlement check as part of my week's income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 01:18 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Depends.

Is this the California settlement or the Massachusetts settlement?
What date range is the check covering (some ranges cover misclassification payments not payment of owed wages)
Was the date it covered part of the calculation used for benefits?

Old 07-03-2022, 10:12 PM

Great questions!

It's for the California settlement.

The settlement is due to what transpired between August 2016 and December 2020,
but the settlement check came with a Miscellaneous Income tax form for this year, 2022.

I'll probably call EDD on Tuesday anyway,
but I was curious to know what others on here might say.

Have a fantastic 4th of July and thank you for responding to us Rabrrita!

Old 07-04-2022, 07:39 AM

That's for the minimum makeup wages based on past assignments. It would be considered income now if and only if you had continuous employment with Door Dash and it come with current employee taxes withheld. But since it included the 1099, it's just a back compensation settlement not wages. So, you don't have to report it.

To add, honestly I don't even think EDD will figure this out for another years as the settlement is based on a reversal or a reversal from an original modified and stipulated reversed reinstated modified reversed....

Old 07-04-2022, 10:40 AM

The settlement check did withhold Federal taxes,

and the Door Dash payments/wages we receive never withhold taxes -- it's up to us to file at the end of the year with the 1099s they send us, and we must repay all taxes owed to the government.

I usually report the wages I earn through Door Dash when I certify every 2 weeks. Is this correct to do?

Old 07-04-2022, 11:16 AM

I revisited UI Online to continue the certification process,
and where it asks, "did you receive any other type of income?" it mentions "backpay" as one of the types of income to mention.

Wouldn't a settlement check (due to wages previously wrongly withheld) be considered backpay?

At this point, I'm still not approved or denied from UI Benefits (it's been 11 days since my eligibility interview),
so if I end up being denied *knock on wood* this wouldn't even matter lol

I still appreciate your thoughts, though Rabrrita.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:55 PM

Since you are still working for Door Dash, the settlement may be considered reportable but I don't think it should be counted against you as wages. The settlement is confusing so I honestly have no idea what they expect and I figure EDD will just make it up as they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment