Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

The real U.S. unemployment rate is close to 1 in 10 (10%) « Sidetalk

How pathetic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
Yup, just wait until all the people who believe government numbers. They'll give you every reason as to why the unemployment rate from the government is real. If you asked me. The real rate is about 2x of what the government says. They say it is 8% in California? More like 16% give or take. No questions asked, we will see unemployment as high or higher than the great depression. Just this time the government does a good job masking it up.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Yup, just wait until all the people who believe government numbers. They'll give you every reason as to why the unemployment rate from the government is real. If you asked me. The real rate is about 2x of what the government says. They say it is 8% in California? More like 16% give or take. No questions asked, we will see unemployment as high or higher than the great depression. Just this time the government does a good job masking it up.
I agree with you. In all my periods of unemployment I was never counted in any of those numbers. My brother has been unemployed for six years now. He gave up. He is not counted in those numbers. My sister is now unemployed. She is not counted in those numbers. That's three out of four siblings not employed and not counted. Can you imagine what the real rate must be? But the gubmit won't tell us that, as we're liable to freak

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 AM

195 posts, read 741,374 times
10% unemployment rate is classified as an economic depression!
If Uncle Sam is telling us the truth, then it will create an huge impact on the U.S. consumers; this is the very last thing Uncle Same wants to see.
The U.S. economy depends on the consumers who are now "slow" when it comes to spending! This is a vicious cycle--the big companies are not making money so they are not hiring or laying off people; Americans are not spending because they are afraid they might be unemployed tomorrow.
If Uncle Sam came out and told the truth, what would happen to the U.S. economy!!!! Just imagine what would happen after the opening bell in Wall Street at 9:30 am on Monday!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
What employment numbers also leave out is the under employed. I know of and have talked to countless people over the last couple of years that are making half to two thirds of that they made in 2000. They may have a job, but their living standards are much lower than they were in 2000. Most of the people I talk to were in manufacturing or IT. Their jobs were either moved overseas or their plants were relocated to Mexico.
To think this country can grow and thrive with out manufacturing is pure stupidity.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
10% unemployment rate is classified as an economic depression!
If Uncle Sam is telling us the truth, then it will create an huge impact on the U.S. consumers; this is the very last thing Uncle Same wants to see.
The U.S. economy depends on the consumers who are now "slow" when it comes to spending! This is a vicious cycle--the big companies are not making money so they are not hiring or laying off people; Americans are not spending because they are afraid they might be unemployed tomorrow.
If Uncle Sam came out and told the truth, what would happen to the U.S. economy!!!! Just imagine what would happen after the opening bell in Wall Street at 9:30 am on Monday!!!
Well, common sense dictates that one know the rate is above 7.2. It's just how much above 7.2 that is the question.

I suppose it's best not to tell the truth, right? People are already skittish enough. We just need people to keep spending and for investors not to realize just HOW BAD the numbers really are. Me? I pulled out of the market on September 19 - too late and I'd wanted to for months prior, but the financial house where I had my money kept telling me it was business as usual and I listened too long. Oh well, the DOW was 11,300 when I got out so better late than never.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
What employment numbers also leave out is the under employed. I know of and have talked to countless people over the last couple of years that are making half to two thirds of that they made in 2000. They may have a job, but their living standards are much lower than they were in 2000. Most of the people I talk to were in manufacturing or IT. Their jobs were either moved overseas or their plants were relocated to Mexico.
To think this country can grow and thrive with out manufacturing is pure stupidity.
Good point! So many people have had their hours cut, benefits hacked, and so on. I'm making a third of what I did a few years ago. It's brutal.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
nce a person quite seeking employment its hard to really count them . For instance when unemployemnt got to 4.3% in my area;there were alot of jobs and employers could get locals to apply. The unemployment rate is only good to compare one period and the job market in genreal and is never meant to be a count of all those not working.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I also agree with you. Probably because you are right. I want to just scream to everyone that their (not my) government is lying to them but no one will listen.

This govt only admitted just last month that we are in a recession even though we have just entered the depression mode. All this after 3 years of declining everything measurable.

And to top all this off the good ol govt freeloaders just voted themselves a nice little $4900 raise last week bringing their average salary to $174,000. I feel so sorry for those guys. It must be so difficult making ends meet on such a pittance salary.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,367 times
I agree with nearly all of the above, the Government doesn't want panic to set in so yup they fudge the numbers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment