Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM

42 posts, read 76,169 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, have anyone heard anything yet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM

727 posts, read 1,097,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGeorgia View Post
Hello everyone, have anyone heard anything yet???
I assume you are referencing if they have passed any Bills and an extension with the UI benefits. Nothing yet-today is their first day back. I did go and check to see if anything had progressed and it hadn't earlier. Trust me-I will post immediately if something happens. Once again, we all will just have to hang in there and be patient.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM

285 posts, read 662,267 times
We are going to get through this once again until things clear up and it will. I am watching C-Span on all angles to see "if and when" they will bring up anything on both of the Bills that were introduced before recess. I have exhausted my SEB as of last week so I have not gotten to the stage of frantic as of this time. I have been e-mailing everyone and all including NELP, MOVE and all others on our side.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM

461 posts, read 945,521 times
Obama, Congress may extend unemployment benefits (http://michiganmessenger.com/25993/obama-congress-may-extend-unemployment-benefits - broken link)

By Ed Brayton 9/8/09 7:10 AM
Deb Price of the Detroit News reports that with “100,000 Michiganians who will cash their last unemployment check by year’s end,†the Obama administration and Congress may soon pass another 13 week extension of unemployment benefits. With Congress set to return to Washington from the August recess this week, the issue of such an extension “will be one of the first issues they’ll address.â€
Drew Hammill, spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, said the economy will determine the future of the benefits expansion bill sponsored by Rep. Sander Levin, D-Royal Oak.
“Clearly, unemployment remains the lagging number in an otherwise improving economy,†Hammill said.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said: “Soon after Congress returns to Washington we will need to address this matter … There is an economic case to be made for extending unemployment benefits.â€
Meanwhile, top economic advisers to President Barack Obama signaled on recent Sunday news programs that another extension may be needed.
Unemployment benefits have already been extended three times in the past 18 months by Congress. But with unemployment remaining high even while there are signs of a budding economic recovery going on, more may be needed. There is also movement in the Michigan legislature to extend benefits even further at the state level, but in the middle of a state budget crisis it seems unlikely that it will pass.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM

461 posts, read 945,521 times
Jobless benefits running dry for many

By MICHAEL E. KANELL

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

If the hiring doesn’t pick up soon — and there are few signs it will — a growing wave of Georgians will stop getting unemployment benefits in coming months.
Hyosub Shin, hshin@ajc.com Gayla Mass, of Atlanta, lost her customer service job in early 2008 and has had trouble even getting an interview for a new one.

An unemployed worker can now potentially receive as many as 79 weeks of checks, but many workers are not finding jobs in that time. Margaret Barnett of Villa Rica estimates that she has applied for 300 jobs since being laid off at the end of 2007. In that time, she has gone through the initial, 26 weeks of state benefits, two federal extensions and another state-federal program.

She will draw her final check in a few days.
“When it happens, we will be struggling,†she said. “Like we have been.â€
Barnett, 57, who worked in customer service at an Atlanta company that distributed plastic bags, said the job search has been discouraging.
“You see the job fairs and there are thousands of people applying for twenty or thirty jobs,†she said. “It is bad.â€
Advocates have called for Congress to pass another extension, an idea that has some bipartisan support. Several bills to extend the benefits were introduced just before Congress took its August recess.
More than 6 million Americans are receiving unemployment benefits, although there are about 15 million officially jobless. In Georgia, only about 60 percent of the half-million jobless receive benefits. Others were not eligible because they quit or were fired, because they have stopped looking for work or were self-employed. Some already exhausted their benefits.
Unemployment checks are calculated from the worker’s former earnings, with a cap of $330 a week. A $25-a-week boost was added by this year’s federal stimulus package.
As more of the unemployed reach the end of their checks, “I think we will see more foreclosures, more descent into poverty,†said Heidi Shierholz, senior economist for the Economic Policy Institute.
The end of benefits also removes a stream of spending that aids the economy, she said.
“The money goes to people who are the most cash-strapped. These people have no choice but to go out and spend that money.â€
The federal extension injects nearly $1 billion a week into the economy, according to a report by the National Employment Law Project.
In Georgia, 13,844 people will lose their federally-funded benefits during September, according to the NELP report. By the end of the year, 58,887 Georgians and 1.33 million Americans will have reached that destination.
Meanwhile, Georgia’s unemployment rate keeps ticking up, reaching 10.3 percent in July.
Between March and September 2008, more than 353,000 Georgians filed first-time jobless claims for unemployment benefits. Many found another job, but hiring fell far short of offsetting layoffs.
Some of those laid off dropped out of the labor force, gave up the job search, returned to school or even left the state to seek employment elsewhere. But others who lost jobs at the start of the period are now nearing the end of benefits, barring further extensions.
Gayla Mass, 57, of Atlanta, lost her customer service job in early 2008 and has had trouble even getting an interview for a new one.
The $240 a week that she receives in unemployment benefits is roughly half of what she had been making, but with income from her fiancé — and a discount from their landlord — it’s been enough to meet expenses.
But when her benefits end in about eight weeks, she said, “I think I’m in big trouble. We’ll probably have to move.â€
Although some economists say that the recession is ending, virtually no experts predict improvement in the job market until at least mid-2010.
On Friday, the government reported that the nation lost 216,000 jobs in August — the best monthly report in a year. The official unemployment rate jumped to 9.7 percent.
Jackie Jackson, 52, of Stockbridge, is among those with dim job prospects and worries about losing benefits, which for him are only $86 a week, he said.
Jackson has been using his mother’s car since his 11-year-old Ford was repossessed. His landlady trimmed his rent to $50 a week.
“That leaves me $36,†he said. “If it weren’t for the food pantry and the food stamps, I couldn’t make it. And when unemployment runs out, I don’t know what I will do.â€
The Illinois native has been in construction since he was 17, working pretty steadily.
“When the job finishes, you move on to the next one. But now, there’s no jobs.â€
He worked a one-month project in the spring but since then has found nothing despite trips to the unemployment office and searching via computer and phone.
“I’m a heavy equipment operator, but right now I’d take anything,†he said.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM

727 posts, read 1,097,383 times
Montana-I saw that article last week and why the new numbers for unemployment in GA were not put in that article is beyond me. Perhaps it was written before the numbers were announced. Right now GA is at 10.7% for unemployed and it isn't going away. Good finds with both. I hope they pass this in the next couple weeks but it has to go to Committee-why is beyond me-we all know it is there and not going away. Personally, besides the extensions-something needs to be done to get us back to work. I'm willing to do anything at this point-but getting hired is almost impossible and I am really trying, as I am sure all of us are.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM

462 posts, read 990,016 times
Here is the mailing list:

Committee On Finance
219 Dirksen Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510-6200
202) 224-4515
Committee Members....write to all of them

CHUCK GRASSLEY, IA
ORRIN G. HATCH, UT
OLYMPIA J. SNOWE, ME
JON KYL, AZ
JIM BUNNING, KY
MIKE CRAPO, ID
PAT ROBERTS, KS
JOHN ENSIGN, NV
MIKE ENZI, WY
JOHN CORNYN, TX
MAX BAUCUS, MT Head of Senate finance committee
JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER IV, WV
KENT CONRAD, ND
JEFF BINGAMAN, NM
JOHN F. KERRY, MA
BLANCHE L. LINCOLN, AR
RON WYDEN, OR
CHARLES E. SCHUMER, NY
DEBBIE STABENOW, MI
MARIA CANTWELL, WA
BILL NELSON, FL
ROBERT MENENDEZ, NJ
THOMAS CARPER, DE

Old 09-08-2009, 03:46 PM

45 posts, read 78,350 times
I am about to run out as well also, still no leads, and I would love to take advantage of WIA but seem to be spinning too many wheels to focus on adding something else to my plate.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM

968 posts, read 2,621,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorn2 View Post
I am about to run out as well also, still no leads, and I would love to take advantage of WIA but seem to be spinning too many wheels to focus on adding something else to my plate.
I can relate to what your saying. I am still going to pursue WIA because I will probably regret it later (when I am ineligible). With upwards of 50 hours freed from my week now, I can dedicate myself too a lot more.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM

45 posts, read 78,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
I can relate to what your saying. I am still going to pursue WIA because I will probably regret it later (when I am ineligible). With upwards of 50 hours freed from my week now, I can dedicate myself too a lot more.
You should it is a huge opportunity. My situation is complicated and I would like to also if I can get my s* together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment