Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM

55 posts, read 499,072 times

Advertisements

I have been certifying for unemployment benefits since the first week of February. I am two weeks into a temporary job with the US census. I'm located in NY state. I had paid training the first week so in certifying my benefits online, I put "No, I have not returned to work" but "Yes, I worked more than 40 hours" and "yes, I earned more than $405." I got the following message in the mail:

Quote:
You recently certified for unemployment benefits for the w/e 05/03/09.

You indicated you worked four or more days and/or earned more than $405. Because the law prohibits payment under these circumstances, you will not receive payment for the week shown above.
I thought that I could just repeat the same process this week ("yes, I worked more than 4 days," etc.) and it would again be followed up with a letter denying benefits. The temporary job is only likely to last another three or four weeks. My co-workers were also under the impression that they could do that so that their claim would not be closed.

However, when I went online in this morning to certify my benefits, I presented with a different screen to the usual
Quote:
Complete the information below regarding your most recent work.
1. Were you self employed on your last job? Yes/No
2. If you answered 'No' to question 1, what is the reason you are no longer working for your most recent employer? Choose one:
  • School Employee
  • Lack of work
  • Quit
  • Discharged/Let Go
  • Fired
  • Strike/Lockout
Since I'm still working for my most recent employer, I can't choose any of these options. So it seems that I must stop visiting the UIB site until the temporary job ends. What will happen at that stage? I was told by someone that the original claim would still exist and would be re-opened, but will there be a lost week (waiting week) and a delay in getting the next check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
I think you are making this a little more complicated than need be.

Your recent employer is the one that let you go and established your base year. If you got U.C. you were terminated in some manner or had a valid discrimination claim.

Your current employer is not relevant to the positoin.

Beware. You don't want to tell lies. Firstly, You have returned to work, even if temporarily. And yes, you have earned more than $405 in salary, etc...

No, you can't keep the claim active while you are working. ( i found this out.) But it will remain open, so when you lose your temp job you can re-open your original claim.

And yes, you will need to keep a nest egg on the side, since it will take a month, give or take, to get your checks started again.

Why? Because they will contact your current employer to find out if you were fired for stealing and if so, you will be denied benefits. Or if you were terminated through no fault of your own.

hope this helps!!

p.s. LIFE IS EASIER WHEN YOU DO U.C. VIA DIRECT DEPOSIT AND FILE ONLINE IF YOUR STATE ALLOWS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
I have been certifying for unemployment benefits since the first week of February. I am two weeks into a temporary job with the US census. I'm located in NY state. I had paid training the first week so in certifying my benefits online, I put "No, I have not returned to work" but "Yes, I worked more than 40 hours" and "yes, I earned more than $405." I got the following message in the mail:

I thought that I could just repeat the same process this week ("yes, I worked more than 4 days," etc.) and it would again be followed up with a letter denying benefits. The temporary job is only likely to last another three or four weeks. My co-workers were also under the impression that they could do that so that their claim would not be closed.

However, when I went online in this morning to certify my benefits, I presented with a different screen to the usual
Since I'm still working for my most recent employer, I can't choose any of these options. So it seems that I must stop visiting the UIB site until the temporary job ends. What will happen at that stage? I was told by someone that the original claim would still exist and would be re-opened, but will there be a lost week (waiting week) and a delay in getting the next check?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM

55 posts, read 499,072 times
Thanks gea12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Your recent employer is the one that let you go and established your base year. If you got U.C. you were terminated in some manner or had a valid discrimination claim.

Your current employer is not relevant to the positoin.
I finally reached someone at NYS DOL today so I could figure out what they mean by "recent employer." They said it referred to the US Census Bureau, NOT to the employer used to establish the base year.

They also said it was up to me whether to continue to file for the next couple of weeks (they seem to be wrong on this) and not get paid or just stop filing until the temporary work ended. I tried to explain that I cannot check anything next to "indicate the reason why you are no longer working for your most recent employer." The CSR then said she'd transfer me to the phone claims department instead. However there I was faced with exactly the same questions as online and no option to speak to a real person, so I couldn't complete the certification.

Quote:
Beware. You don't want to tell lies. Firstly, You have returned to work, even if temporarily. And yes, you have earned more than $405 in salary, etc...

No, you can't keep the claim active while you are working. ( i found this out.) But it will remain open, so when you lose your temp job you can re-open your original claim.
Yes, I've found you're right that I can't keep the claim active.

Quote:

And yes, you will need to keep a nest egg on the side, since it will take a month, give or take, to get your checks started again.
That's a bummer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment