Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 AM

138 posts, read 348,654 times

Advertisements

A slighly less optomistic spin on the same quote from the AP:

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said Tuesday that Congress would consider continuing the federal emergency program and other benefits included in the stimulus package as part of a bill focused on jobs. But Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid has said the Senate will finish work on health care before taking up a jobs bill, which could mean that it won't act until next year.
Congress could face opposition over the cost of extending the program into 2010, especially with a proposed health care overhaul bill carrying an $849 billion price tag.

Jobless benefits could end for many in January - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jobless-benefits-could-end-apf-2068602974.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,982,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
A slighly less optomistic spin on the same quote from the AP:

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said Tuesday that Congress would consider continuing the federal emergency program and other benefits included in the stimulus package as part of a bill focused on jobs. But Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid has said the Senate will finish work on health care before taking up a jobs bill, which could mean that it won't act until next year.
Congress could face opposition over the cost of extending the program into 2010, especially with a proposed health care overhaul bill carrying an $849 billion price tag.

Jobless benefits could end for many in January - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jobless-benefits-could-end-apf-2068602974.html?x=0 - broken link)
Actually, that's a story in progress... the Yahoo! edition was reported 24 hours later than the initial report about Hoyer's comments -- and the later report includes the comment from Reid.

Interestingly, this is the first time Reid has put an actual time frame on when the Senate would next address the jobless issue.

Before Hoyer's comments on Tuesday about the House bill, Reid and his staff were saying that they would address the expiration date issues -- COBRA premium subsidy, as well as unemployment -- "soon."

Twenty-four hours after Hoyer said that the House will put together a single jobless bill for everything before year-end, Reid says the Senate will address the subject "next year."

We'll see if McDermott or anyone else in the House gets a "single issue" bill -- extension of expiration dates, without a massive jobs creation program -- moving a bit faster.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 AM

968 posts, read 2,620,280 times
So, the reality is for most is that this does not look good because right now healthcare > UI extensions. For a program that will take quite some time to place into motion, I am astonished that more pertinent matters have been placed on the back-burner that will leave many of the unemployed even worse off than the terrible situation their currently in. With rising living costs--savings will not last forever.

What's even more interesting is that there was no problem saving companies who in turned cut jobs for thousands of Americans after receiving TARP funds and/or were major contractors with those recipients. Yet when its time to save those who were sacrificed after corporate America's bailout, we get placed on the back burner.

How convenient. Definitely keeping all this in mind when it comes to mid-term elections and following.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,919 times
does anyone know if the cobra subsidy extension has passed. Mine is due to run out in January. Thank you

Old 11-20-2009, 01:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,278 times
No there has been nothing passed at this point. I love how slow the process moves. Mine is gone in 10 days.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times
I read that person who has a disability either physical or psychological may extend their COBRA coverage past the 18 months (at a cost that may be %150) for another 11 months.

Are their any provisions on the decreased rate of 35% COBRA subsidy to be able to keep that rate due to the fact I have been diagnosed 3 years ago as having a psychological classification that the medical field considers me as having a disability which will never go away. This could be an additional reason for employers passing me by during interviews - hard to prove though, but, is unfortunately has statistically weight for persons in my classification.

There had been situations w/ my disability that could have been defused with my last employer had I wanted to play that disability card - but I chose not to for fear of registering with NYS and having this condition show up for future employers who do background searches and so I just put up with things. This situation w/ Cobra and the loss of the grace of 35% COBRA subsidy is now an issue that I may wish to pursue w/ my condition for it could be detrimental and contributing factor thus far w/ my employment pursuits.

Last edited by PrincessD; 11-22-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessD View Post
I read that person who has a disability either physical or psychological may extend their COBRA coverage past the 18 months (at a cost that may be %150) for another 11 months.

Are their any provisions on the decreased rate of 35% COBRA subsidy to be able to keep that rate due to the fact I have been diagnosed 3 years ago as having a psychological classification that the medical field considers me as having a disability which will never go away. This could be an additional reason for employers passing me by during interviews - hard to prove though, but, is unfortunately has statistically weight for persons in my classification.

There had been situations w/ my disability that could have been defused with my last employer had I wanted to play that disability card - but I chose not to for fear of registering with NYS and having this condition show up for future employers who do background searches and so I just put up with things. This situation w/ Cobra and the loss of the grace of 35% COBRA subsidy is now an issue that I may wish to pursue w/ my condition for it could be detrimental and contributing factor thus far w/ my employment pursuits.
The legislation that provides the 65% premium subsidy for COBRA specifically limits that subsidy to nine months. There are no qualifications or exceptions under the law to lengthen the subsidy under special circumstances in individual cases.

The premium subsidy is not linked to the extension of COBRA which is available in the case of certain types of disability.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Congress in Holiday Recess

Just a reminder that Congress is in recess this week for the Thanksgiving holiday. They are expected to resume session on Monday, November 30, 2009.

So it is unlikely that we will hear anything this week about an extension of the COBRA premium subsidy -- or the extension of any of the unemployment year-end expiration dates.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM

138 posts, read 348,654 times
We're not likely to hear anything for a while so long as they are consumed by the Healthcare bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just a reminder that Congress is in recess this week for the Thanksgiving holiday. They are expected to resume session on Monday, November 30, 2009.

So it is unlikely that we will hear anything this week about an extension of the COBRA premium subsidy -- or the extension of any of the unemployment year-end expiration dates.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,278 times
Really does suck that they cant get their heads out of this Health care stuff right now and work on jobs and the Unemployed. I just got approved for an Individual policy which really does stink compared to what I had with cobra for about the same price with the 65 percent off. Its really more for if something bad were to happen then anything else as the deductible is sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment