Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,572,520 times

Advertisements

Has things gotten any better? Have you seen more jobs/places to at least send a resume? How about interviews at this time of season? What are things looking like in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,332,878 times
The only response I've received since September was an email stating they like my qualifications, now click on the link below which will take you to a webpage where you will enter the minimum amount you are willing to do the job for. Benefits are not available. W-2 and 1099 bids are acceptable.

Since there were multiple bids at $10.00 on a 1099, I figured I couldn't make money doing it, so I didn't bother. This was for a position that should pay at least $20 and hour.

I don't know if the position was real, the bids were staged, or if they were simply trying to find out how little people are willing to work for. If what I saw on that page is real, there are a lot of stupid people out there, or they like to work for free.

I'm located in Sacramento. The position was in the East Bay (near San Francisco).

Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 AM

terrible thats it?? Wow, and that is not a dead area your in! Im sorry.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,130,272 times
It's dead. The last interview didn't even bother to send a 'rejection' letter.
There was a peak of about 4 jobs I applied for in October, only heard from one (the screwed up hours job). That's it...there is nothing to apply to. Any jobs I saw were mainly part time with limited benefits. (considered 'good' here..what the ????)

My plan is now to get out of here. It's never going to get better in Vermont till they pull their heads out of their butts and realize 'maple syrup' and 'snow' cannot sustain the population. I am tired of living in 1920.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,663,633 times
Problem is GypsySoul22 thats what everyone says about everywhere right now, I dont know that moving is going to get you a job the way things are right now. At the pace things are going once they cut the benefits off I will be going back to live with Mom and Dad again and I'm to dam old for that at 43. But what can I do no job no money and it sure doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,410,043 times
Not bad, actually. While I knew of a few people that lost jobs this year. All have gotten jobs and I'm currently the only one I know still seeking permanent employment.

I also know of several people who have gotten promotions and raises. seems to be pretty good here. For everyone else.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,492,458 times
It's pretty dismal in Tucson. I have Career Builder send me job matches to my e-mail, and nearly every single job they send me is in Phoenix (and not even those jobs seem anything close to spectacular). I feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack here.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,130,272 times
I still think people live near big cities or in a city have a better chance of getting something. In rural areas like where we live now and have lived 2 years, there is only a college and a hospital that sustains a large portion of the population. The rest work at little companies and in retail/hotel/motel service.

There are hiring freezes all over here.

It's sad to see boom places (like in NC and AZ) where EVERYONE was moving to have crashed and burned.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 AM

304 posts, read 787,768 times
at my current firm, when i started in mid 2007, our dept had 11 people. it's now down to 4.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I still think people live near big cities or in a city have a better chance of getting something. In rural areas like where we live now and have lived 2 years, there is only a college and a hospital that sustains a large portion of the population. The rest work at little companies and in retail/hotel/motel service.

There are hiring freezes all over here.

It's sad to see boom places (like in NC and AZ) where EVERYONE was moving to have crashed and burned.
you are correct, you will have a million times better chance in a city area. Especially the area I believe you said suburb or around Boston. Your chances are actually very very good there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment