Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM

112 posts, read 330,802 times

Advertisements

HI,
I am about to go bonkers and shut down/malfunction due to my debt.

Here's the story. I"ve always had at least 4 credit cards. I am unemployed and went to the dentist and was told I needed major work. I was very depressed and let myself go including my dental hygene. Don't get me wrong, I did brush my teeth, but not as well as I shoud have and I was trying to cut down on what I was eating but ate tons of sugar not even realizing the damage.

I was told I needed 5 or 6 root canals, 7 fillings and 3 or so dental implants. Well being un employedd, having no 401k and no savings I went into survival mode. What frightened me was the fact that the next step was getting dentures and I"m not going to do that at 34 yrs of age.

So what I did was contacted a dental school and i am now going there for treatment which is great becaujse the appts are long. The thing is they estimated that I needed 8 thousand dollars in treatment.

So what I did next was to PREPAY all using my credit cards. My fear that the credit card companies would lower my credit limit and then I'd be out of luck won. I was thinking it would be better to pay for the stuff WHILE the money was there.

Now what am I going to do? I will have teeth but no money and the credit card companies after me.

What would you have done? Yes this does tie in to unemployment because have I been employed i would have been able to pay for it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? PLESE don'to say to pay back the money, i need my teeth and I dont want to be a polydent customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
In NJ, we have a few clinics that we can go to that work on a sliding scale basis. I used them once while a student...

Google medical sliding scale for your state. Also something like charity care. Try to avoid paying if you can. In terms of the Dental work, focus on the cavity fillings, root canals, and implants in that order. You can go without implants for some time, but the other two are worth taking care of ASAP.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM

117 posts, read 218,758 times
I did about the same thing, but before I knew I was going to be unemployed!
I got my teeth fixed, expensive, then I became unemployed!!
At this point I have Teeth!!!!!!!!! & the credit cards .... well, taxpayers already bailed them out!!!!!!!!
For a Free Consultation with a Bankrupcy attorney, I know That I am not alone, & I am going that route; as with the current economy, it is the "Nature of the Beast", & as she stated: If & when I am employed again, I will be able to rebuild credit, & even purchase a home within two years of the bankrupcy!!!
Good Luck to You, & know there are Lots Rite There With You, Sad but True!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM

What does a root canal feel like

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What does a root canal feel like
With or Without Anestesia?

Or By A Endodontist or "Sliding Scale" Dentist?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM

All of the above? I really don't know much about it and am curious. Thanks. I'm assuming they always use anesthesia?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
All of the above? I really don't know much about it and am curious. Thanks. I'm assuming they always use anesthesia?
Go With The Endodontist, You Get What You Pay For!!

& They Always Feel Good, Compared To The Before!!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmarabianz View Post
Go With The Endodontist, You Get What You Pay For!!

& They Always Feel Good, Compared To The Before!!

What can one expect to pay for a root canal by an endodontist on a molar?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
What can one expect to pay for a root canal by an endodontist on a molar?
$1,000

Then $600-$800 for Crown

= approx. $2,000

I'm Going To Go Brush My Teeth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment