Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 56,219 times

Advertisements

We don't pay state income tax in Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeygal View Post
I have a question... I live in TX and origionally recieved unemployment benefits for being fired for what they called misconduct.. well the first decision by TWC was in my favor and I won.. well they of course appealed the decision but due to backlog I guess our appeal hearing didnt happen until almost 6 months later! Of course the whole 6 months I had been drawing unemployment. Well they unfortunately won the appeal and Im in the process of appealing to the Commission. So in the mean time they are telling me that I am responsible for overpayment... Are they serious?? They awarded it to me in the first place! LOL... Sorry just had to say that. Well in any case my question is where do i go from here? I obviously cant pay it cause im not working! I am in the process of appealing the last decision but is there a way to appeal having to pay them? What can they do if I dont pay it?? Texas doesnt have any state taxes but can they garnish wages or take from federal income tax refund?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I'm in the same boat so I feel your pain. They know you are unemployed so what are you supposed to do ? Pull the money out of your ass ?

In my case I had started culinary school but was still fulfilling the work search requirements. They came back at me with an overpayment saying that because I was in school (you know, trying to BETTER yourself) that I wasn't available for work (like I'm going to quit school to go to work at a FcDonalds).

I wrote them a letter explaining that my intent in going to school was to better myself so I could get a better JOB, and that their cutting off my unemployment made it to where I couldn't make my student loan payments. I'm still unemployed (6 months later) and my student loans have gone to collections thanks to the UNENJOYMENT OFFICE.

My letter had no effect whatsoever on the Borg. I poured my heart out asking them to waive the 220.00 overpayment (may as well be two MILLION) and explaining my circumstances and all I got back was a robotic letter typed by a soulless mind controlled slave saying how I'm still expected to pay. Don't these people THINK for themselves at all ?

And they wonder why people hate state workers. Quite frankly I can understand why they need all that tightened security the way they callously eff people over.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 10,250 times
Ok, tell me how this works. I went on line and signed up with TWC to use their services to look for a job while I still have a job. I always want to keep my options open. Next thing I know, I receive a notice in the mail stating that I have an overpayment from back in 2008 for 27.00. Then a month later, I received two more notices that state they found overpayments from 2009. These two notices total up to 665.00. From the period of time they state the overpayment, I was unemployed and did not receive additional compensation. I faxed a copy of all the letters that I received along with a letter stating that I needed more documentation. Proof that they overpaid. But what do I get in the mail, another notice stating that action will be filed against me.

What in the heck are they doing? I don't understand how they can go back 2 years prior and all of a sudden determine that I owe them money. I have already paid taxes on the money that was paid out to me.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
In this case, I would write your state legislators. Attach copies of all documents and emphasize you've declared and paid taxes on this 'overpayment,' and that you don't know why TX now believes it has overpaid you, and is threatening to file suit. All you did was register on their job site, which apparently has triggered a review of past claims. One more example of how every good deed deserves a punishment.

You also need to find a telephone number for the TWC collections department for a better explanation - and a repayment plan if it comes to that. In WI, they are easily reached by phone. Usually the states will work with you on repayment.

No-fault overpayments happen all the time and the UE offices do come after the claimants long after the fact. Think of TWC as you would the IRS. They can come back to you years later if they determine there was an overpayment or if an employer contests a claim a year later and is upheld. In this case, it wasn't your fault - it was their error. Nonetheless, they want their money.

Let us know what happens.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 20,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeygal View Post
I have a question... I live in TX and origionally recieved unemployment benefits for being fired for what they called misconduct.. well the first decision by TWC was in my favor and I won.. well they of course appealed the decision but due to backlog I guess our appeal hearing didnt happen until almost 6 months later! Of course the whole 6 months I had been drawing unemployment. Well they unfortunately won the appeal and Im in the process of appealing to the Commission. So in the mean time they are telling me that I am responsible for overpayment... Are they serious?? They awarded it to me in the first place! LOL... Sorry just had to say that. Well in any case my question is where do i go from here? I obviously cant pay it cause im not working! I am in the process of appealing the last decision but is there a way to appeal having to pay them? What can they do if I dont pay it?? Texas doesnt have any state taxes but can they garnish wages or take from federal income tax refund?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 20,415 times
can they garnish my wages for overpayment on uemployment

Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckn9954 View Post
can they garnish my wages for overpayment on uemployment
Yes, if you do not make arrangements for repayment and pay as agreed. They actually could even take the money from your bank account once there is a lien/judgment in place. Set up an installment payment agreement and keep to it.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 10,124 times
I live in california and I owe Nevada unemployment for "overpayment". Can the state of Nevada garnish my wages in California?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM

They would have to file a lien in CA, I believe. Talk to an atty.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,746 times
I have been asked by Unemployment to pay back
Cause i was emoyed full time and not part time
The amount overpayment is over 12,000
And they said if is fraud
I was hired as a commission employee and
My directvmanager all along said i was part time
From may 11- until jan12- 2012
Then i asked him again i went straight to HR
HR said no im employed full time since i have a base pay
Of 23,600 and i get paid twice a month

So I appealed and stated exactly that i had emails
With my direct manager and the Vp that said I
Was part time
However the referee asked me why i collected
Unemployment under part time status after HR in my
Company said I am clearly full time
My answer was my pay did not change nor my hours only the status
Then i also said i will pay it back if it was wrong
Jan-April but im not responsible from may of 2011-
Jan2012
What do you think he will decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment