Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM

323 posts, read 346,178 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done a past life regression? If so, how was your experience.

I'm very interested in learning more as I think it could help me with other aspects of my life.

Appreciate you insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It depends on how hypnotizable you are. I've never been able to get anywhere with it. I don't go into trance easily. But I do think it could help resolve issues in this lifetime, depending on the nature of the issue.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on how hypnotizable you are. I've never been able to get anywhere with it. I don't go into trance easily. But I do think it could help resolve issues in this lifetime, depending on the nature of the issue.
Example?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Example?
There have been cases in which people have an irrational fear, and under hypnotherapy, the patient spontaneously regressed to a previous lifetime, much to the surprise of the therapist, who only suggested the patient go back to a time when the problem first arose. After recovering that memory, the issue was resolved.

That kind of thing.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There have been cases in which people have an irrational fear, and under hypnotherapy, the patient spontaneously regressed to a previous lifetime, much to the surprise of the therapist, who only suggested the patient go back to a time when the problem first arose. After recovering that memory, the issue was resolved.

That kind of thing.
While I believe this form of hypnosis could help I am skeptical that this is proof of past lives.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
See this article:

The truth about hypnosis and memory - Uncommon Knowledge

Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 PM

639 posts, read 579,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Doesn't necessarily prove anything, On the other hand, if past life is real could you ever prove that either. Generally I call BS on regressive therapy, but don't no for sure.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
While I believe this form of hypnosis could help I am skeptical that this is proof of past lives.
There is no proof of past lives, unless you follow the research on interviews done with kids claiming to remember past lives, and even then, some of those stories are refuted. The past life thing can only be experienced to be believed, and most people don't have occasion to experience past life memories, so--no proof. But this thread isn't about proving that there's such a thing as reincarnation. The OP's question is altogether different. If you'd like to start a separate debate thread, by all means--feel free.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-15-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Has anyone done a past life regression? If so, how was your experience.

I'm very interested in learning more as I think it could help me with other aspects of my life.

Appreciate you insight.
So, OP, the thing to do is google around, to find out who in your city or nearby does this. Then check their qualifications, that they'll have listed on their website. There are two psychologists who pioneered this type of work, and neither of them actually set out to do it; they became interested after having a client or two spontaneously regress to a past life. So you're looking for practitioners that trained under either of those two guys, or both. One is Brian Weiss (he has interviews on youtube you can check out.) I don't recall the other one at this time. But you can start researching it.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Doesn't necessarily prove anything, On the other hand, if past life is real could you ever prove that either. Generally I call BS on regressive therapy, but don't no for sure.
It's not just regression "therapy" that's the problem, it's the claims in general about recovered memories, no matter what their nature. . In addition to past life regression and recovery of alien abduction memories, hypnosis has been used in cases of supposed sexual abuse and/or "Satanic" abuse.

The problem is that our memories are not like a computer's hard drive, and in the process of recalling them particularly in the suggestible state of hypnotic induction, you can end up "remembering" things in a distorted fashion ... or "remembering" things that never happened. See e.g.:

Creating False Memories

I'd say that someone who goes in to a hypnotist specializing in regression "therapy" is going in predisposed to find evidence of past lives. My brother did this many years ago and did indeed "recover" memories of past lives. All such memories are suspect for the reasons outlined in the Loftus article.

With regard to past lives, I don't personally believe in them. But let's suppose that at least some of these accounts are accurate. There might be other "paranormal" explanations that explain them. For example: if all consciousness is interconnected in some way that transcends time and space, it might be the case that a "past life" is just tapping into someone else's memories without being evidence of the continuity of personality across lifetimes (or of life after death). So even within a New Agey paradigm it's possible to come up with alternate explanations for these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal