Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

222 posts, read 550,370 times

Advertisements

In another thread people were talking about Santeria. I don't see a lot of talk about folk magic or religions on this board, which is a shame, because these are the oldest types of magic. I feel like a lot of Westerners in general stay away from this type of magic, even though it's probably the most time-tested and effective. "Wicca" is a relatively new religion compared to the folk religions that practice magic. So let's hear from some folks who have experience with folk magic. I'm talking about Santeria, Brujeria, Hoodoo, Voodoo, traditions that come from the gypsies, and any others that I might not know about.

Last edited by DMG721; 06-24-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
In another thread people were talking about Santeria. I don't see a lot of talk about folk magic or religions on this board, which is a shame, because these are the oldest types of magic. I feel like a lot of Westerners in general stay away from this type of magic, even though it's probably the most time-tested and effective. "Wicca" is a relatively new religion compared to the folk religions that practice magic. So let's hear from some folks who have experience with folk magic. I'm talking about Santeria, Brujeria, Hoodoo, Voodoo, traditions that come from the gypsies, and any others that I might not know about.
I agree and I think that this is a wonderfully interesting and different post, with both anthropological. cultural and spiritual significance.

I don't have any experience with the magical practices that you list, but I have some with Germanic Magic. Here in PA it is commonly called "Pow-Wow" and it is an amalgamation of Christianity and folk beliefs from the Palatine region of Germany. In spite of it's name, it has nothing to do with Native American traditions. It is practiced by the Pennsylvania Dutch - who are really German. ( "Dutch" is a corruption of Deutch - (sp) how Germans would have referred to themselves.)

For some reason it has always resonated for me. My Grandmother was not from PA but had relatives there. She was a Christian - a devout Lutheran, but she also believed in other things.

When I rented my first apartment she pressed a strange little package wrapped in wax paper into my palm and muttered something in German in my ear. I said "what?" Actually before then, I'd never heard her speak the language. I knew she understood it, but that was all.

She said "A penny so you will not be poor, a piece of bread that you will not go hungry and some salt to keep away the devil."

I have since found that this is a Pow-Wow ritual for protection and blessing of a new home.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I'm not any part of a 'magic users' group, other than I have been called a witch in the good way.
Well, in a bad way too, but that had nothing to do with magic.
I am very organic in my approach. I also think that the word magic puts a lot of people off and leads to a HUGE misunderstanding about the powers all humans possess.
Magic is a ritualistic proccess for manifestation, or a term that is easier swallowed, Law of Attraction.
Einstien was very aware of this law. In one of his quotes he says 'it's not a philosophy, it's physics'.
My magic is working the Law of Attraction in a positive way. And it goes both ways, one can attract the bad just as easy as the good.
Many books have been written about the power of thought. One that most people may recognize is 'The Secret'.
But there are books that are much much older.
I'm not a bible person, but that book also contains information about the Law of Attraction.
'ask and you shall receive'
Magic spells are a means to focus our thoughts on what we want and to bring our vibration in line with our desire.
However, a spell is not needed. Not saying spells don't work, just that there is more than one way to get there.
The items used in spells have thier energy that aids us in our focus and helps to be reminders of the goal we are aiming for.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I'm not any part of a 'magic users' group, other than I have been called a witch in the good way.
Well, in a bad way too, but that had nothing to do with magic.
I am very organic in my approach. I also think that the word magic puts a lot of people off and leads to a HUGE misunderstanding about the powers all humans possess.
Magic is a ritualistic proccess for manifestation, or a term that is easier swallowed, Law of Attraction.
Einstien was very aware of this law. In one of his quotes he says 'it's not a philosophy, it's physics'.
My magic is working the Law of Attraction in a positive way. And it goes both ways, one can attract the bad just as easy as the good.
Many books have been written about the power of thought. One that most people may recognize is 'The Secret'.
But there are books that are much much older.
I'm not a bible person, but that book also contains information about the Law of Attraction.
'ask and you shall receive'
Magic spells are a means to focus our thoughts on what we want and to bring our vibration in line with our desire.
However, a spell is not needed. Not saying spells don't work, just that there is more than one way to get there.
The items used in spells have thier energy that aids us in our focus and helps to be reminders of the goal we are aiming for.

I think spells and ritual work are no different from prayer. They are just not Judeo Christian.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Thank you for sharing. This is a very interesting subject.

I like that quote from Einstein.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think spells and ritual work are no different from prayer. They are just not Judeo Christian.
Exactly!!!!
But prayer only works when the feeling is right.
One can pray for a new home because they are homeless, but if they dwell in worry and think 'I won't find a home by winter'...then they are being counter productive.
Pray and be happy, and have faith.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Exactly!!!!
But prayer only works when the feeling is right.
One can pray for a new home because they are homeless, but if they dwell in worry and think 'I won't find a home by winter'...then they are being counter productive.
Pray and be happy, and have faith.
Very true because like attracts like. The Universe does not distinguish between fear of a certain thing and desire. They are both passionate emotions.

Why when I was visiting the Heath Forum I advised a young woman to stop reading and thinking about cancer all the time. She seemed to think that worry was some sort of talisman against cancer.

Actually the reverse is true.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
i had a friend that was a santaria practioner and she went to mass regularly---never could figure out how she could combine the two

i also knew of a voodoo practitioner---never met anyone before her that was deceptively appearing good while doing the most vile,evil things as i saw,experienced later---it chased me out of an area i loved out of fear of her

Old 06-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i had a friend that was a santaria practioner and she went to mass regularly---never could figure out how she could combine the two

i also knew of a voodoo practitioner---never met anyone before her that was deceptively appearing good while doing the most vile,evil things as i saw,experienced later---it chased me out of an area i loved out of fear of her
Auntieannie68, do you know anything about folk practices in Italy? I read a book by Wally Lamb that talks about "malocchia" - the evil eye, and "strega" - Italian witches.

It's a novel but it's author did quite a bit of research about all of these subjects.

It's called "I Know This Much is True"

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Santeria got a bad image locally when somebody dumped dozens of dead chicken carcasses in a cemetary after a religious ritual. You can practice whatever religion you want but show some respect for others, please! I'd also ask that if you want to kill an animal for some religious reason at least cook it and eat it afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal