Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 06:38 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,346,880 times

Advertisements

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...223287195.html

Montana man told police a hunter ‘mistook him for Bigfoot’ and shot at him, cops say

BY JARED GILMOUR

DECEMBER 18, 2018 05:47 PM,

UPDATED DECEMBER 19, 2018 05:12 AM

A Montana man was out target shooting when he became a target himself — and it was because a man “mistook him for Bigfoot,” he told authorities.

The 27-year-old from Helena told dispatchers on Monday that a day earlier he had been putting up targets on public lands outside the city when bullets started flying toward him, Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton said in a phone interview with McClatchy.

The man said one bullet hit three feet to his left on Sunday and another whizzed past him on the right. He explained that he ran into the trees for cover as more gunfire came his way. Eventually he came out to confront the man in a black Ford F-150 who shot at him, he said.

“I thought you were Bigfoot,” the shooter told the victim in the victim’s telling of the story, according to Dutton. “I don’t target practice — but if I see something that looks like Bigfoot, I just shoot at it.”

The man said he responded that he’s not Bigfoot. The shooter advised the man to wear orange in the future, and the man said he told the shooter that was a good point, according to Dutton.

Local law enforcement are now looking for leads on who the person in the black F-150 might be, though Dutton said “there was some question about the veracity of the report” because it was called in the day after the alleged near-death incident, and because the man couldn’t describe the alleged shooter. The man also said he didn’t want to pursue charges and didn’t want to talk to deputies, Dutton said.

Police checked the area where the shooting was reported, but didn’t find the pickup, ABC Fox Montana reports.

But after reports of the alleged shooting appeared in the Helena Independent Record, another woman came forward with a similar experience, potentially bolstering the man’s story, Dutton said.

The woman told law enforcement that she had been shot at by a man in a black F-150 as well. Bigfoot didn’t come up in that woman’s report, according to Dutton, but the woman did give a better description of the man, who she said she also confronted about shooting at her.

“We’re working to find this person,” Dutton said. “It is of great concern that this individual might think it’s okay to shoot at anything he thinks is Bigfoot.”

If the reports are true, the shooter could face attempted negligent homicide charges, Dutton said.

However, Dutton said he doesn’t think the public is in danger.

“It seems to be a localized event to one geographic area,” Dutton said, referring to the North Hills near Helena.

A study in 2017 found that — despite sightings reported across the country each year — only 16 percent of Americans believe Bigfoot is real, McClatchy reported. Compare that with 50 percent of people who believe in ghosts and 35 percent who believe ancient aliens visited the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,377,478 times
No, I think what it actually was, was something like

"I thought you were that guy who left his size 14 shoes under my bed when I was away and my wife was here by herself"

Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,650,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, I think what it actually was, was something like

"I thought you were that guy who left his size 14 shoes under my bed when I was away and my wife was here by herself"
A size 14 foot is a big foot, but not as big a foot as Bigfoot's foot.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
A size 14 foot is a big foot, but not as big a foot as Bigfoot's foot.
How much foot could a Bigfoot fit if a Bigfoot could fit foot?

Old 12-20-2018, 03:04 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
How much foot could a Bigfoot fit if a Bigfoot could fit foot?
And I can’t swing the banhammer for bad puns.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:47 PM

102,257 posts, read 108,238,692 times
If someone were shooting at me from inside a truck, I probably wouldn't be able to describe them, either. THey'd be in the shadow of the truck interior, for one thing, and wouldn't be clearly visible. If bullets are flying past you, you're not likely to stop and try to get a good look at the shooter, if his body's obscured by the door of his truck, and his face might be down, because he's taking aim, if he's using a rifle.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,958,949 times
"... if I see something that looks like Bigfoot, I just shoot at it..."

One of the best things I've ever read in this forum.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,202,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

That is one of the problems with wild turkey season; hunters sometimes shoot at the sound of a turkey with deadly consequences. Hunters like that should not be allowed in the woods and some of them are locked up. Regardless, as far as I know, no state issues any permit to hunt Big Foot. I also believe that most states tell hunters that, if it is not listed as game, don't shoot it.

There have been idiots that place the value of a few pounds of meat over the life of another human. Even if somebody had a great view of what they felt was a BF; there is still a good chance that it might be a human in disguise. It isn't worth taking a chance and for what? Even if you had a dead 'real' Big Foot (if one did exist) chances are that you would still be in trouble. It would never be worth taking a chance.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:19 PM

75 posts, read 63,145 times
Geez, those two victims have a lot of courage to go confront someone that was shooting at them. I would confront the guy through the lens of the scope on my .270.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

I really want a transcript of the whole conversation.

"What the firetruck are you shootin' at? You idiot!"

"I thought you was a Bigfoot. If I see something that looks like Bigfoot, I just shoot at it."

"Well, I'm not a freakin' Bigfoot!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure!"

"Well, you really oughtta wear one of them orange vests. I'd never shoot at a Bigfoot in an orange vest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal