Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times

Advertisements

I think we all have encountered more death than we know, I live in an old house too and people probably died here. I don't go round thinking of that. It's part of life and who is to say where we will be when our time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM

13 posts, read 21,893 times
There are those who have gone, and were surprised by their ending, perhaps even unaccepting of it. If you don't feel comfortable speaking directly to a bodiless entity, find someone who does that sort of thing if you are being bothered by coldness/presence, to gently explain to them what happened and encourage them to go into the light and join their loved ones, in addition to the cleansing ceremony with candles and sage.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, then, those people need to live in new construction; otherwise there's no way you can ever be sure that someone hasn't died in that house.

And to ask a home seller to speculate about who has or hasn't died in a 100-year-old house is just plain ridiculous.
Even then, there's no way to know that someone hasn't croaked on the land. They're just as liable to haunt as the ones that died in the house.

However legally -- in some places you have disclose every thing. That includes deaths, murders and suicides. I seem to remember at one point that included sicknesses like cancer and AIDS.

But the kicker is if you know it. If you move into a 100 year old house you can assume someone died there, but if you never look into it, you never have to disclose it, in places that require disclosing it.

So if Bill bought the Adams place and lived there for 15 years with no problem, and sold it to Sam, who then had ALL sorts of ghosty stuff happen -- he can try to sue Bill for non disclosure, but he won't have a case if Bill never looked into the history of the Adams house, and never found anything out.

I'd bet MOST people don't look for the past in their homes.

AND -- I know for a fact that sometime it's the person. I clean a large residential building, and have for many years, and once, I had a guy claim something was going on in his unit. He stayed for only a few months -- he couldn't take it any more.

It was a two bedroom unit on the fourth floor, with each bedroom having balcony access from each side of the balcony. Each night, he'd lock up and make sure the unoccupied bedroom was locked up, and each morning he'd wake up and the unoccupied bedroom's balcony door was open.

Every single blessed morning.

He asked me several times about it. I knew a few people that had lived there and no one else had mentioned this to me.

And it hasn't happened since.

I concluded HE was haunted, not the place.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 01-22-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM

339 posts, read 832,831 times
If the person died peacefully like in their sleep or of old age or some natural cause, I would live there but just wouldn't want to know they died there. But I definitely don't want to live in a house where someone was murdered or killed violently. I feel like somehow that negative energy would be left in there. Maybe not a haunting or ghost, but a negative energy lingers in the house I think.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM

339 posts, read 832,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
In some states they only have to disclose if a house has known defects, or a stigma such as a murder or recent suicide. Frankly, people die everyday, just like they are born everyday. If they die of natural causes, what is the big deal? If places were "haunted" just because people died there of natural causes, imagine how "haunted" the hospital would be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
One more thing, most large cities contain older homes, and just by the sheer fact that they've been around since the 20's. 30's, 40's and 50's most will have had a death in them.
I agree with these posts, with older homes it's impossible to expect that no one ever died in it. There is a huge difference between dying of natural causes and a violent murder death. I would not mind living in a home where someone was happy, lived their life, enjoyed it then died of old age or natural causes. I just wouldn't want to know about it, but I wouldn't mind it. It's the violent deaths/murders that I think creates a negative energy left in the home. But that energy can be cleared through prayer and blessing of the home. Most deaths do not result in a haunting so I'm not worried about the haunting I just would not like the negative energy.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Unexpected deaths and violent murders can cause an imprint of those emotions in the area of the incidents which could lead to hauntings. If you moved things around or remodeled a house, there's a chance that it could also cause a disturbance that can "awaken" dormant spirits too.

People who also live in one house for most of there lives can also leave there spirit or energy behind. I couldn't tell you whether or not you were dealing with the spirit of the old woman that lived in the house or just you thinking that was it and it could be explained as something else. Only you and your family knows for sure.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
In some states they only have to disclose if a house has known defects, or a stigma such as a murder or recent suicide. Frankly, people die everyday, just like they are born everyday. If they die of natural causes, what is the big deal? If places were "haunted" just because people died there of natural causes, imagine how "haunted" the hospital would be!
True, but few spirits would have a personal attachment to a hospital in the same way they would to a house. I think it's possible that spirits can get caught or lost on the way to the light in transitional places such as hospitals and nursing homes, though. But I don't think they are usually occupied or haunted in the same way homes are.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
However legally -- in some places you have disclose every thing. That includes deaths, murders and suicides. I seem to remember at one point that included sicknesses like cancer and AIDS.
True, but even then disclosure laws may limit a seller to disclose only what has happened since they have lived in the house. When I sold my house in Ohio, the disclosure limit was five years. Even if it had been required for me to disclose a death of any kind in the home, none had occurred within the past five years; I would not have been required legally to disclose the fact that the previous owners had died in the home -- even if they'd died violently.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

101 posts, read 173,301 times
A friend bought a house in Kinde, MI. There was a table in the basement in the middle of the room. Our friend kept moving it over to the wall but everytime he came down it was back in the middle. They later found out the former owner had hung himself in the basement using that table. They had two ministers come out to exorcise the home but the (whatever it was) never departed. It always was a creepy place.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
oh thats spooky..... I have lived in six houses in my lifetime and none had the feeling this flat had..it just didnt want us there... it really didnt... one day my son who was 14 at the time came home from school. and was at the front door, but I was still on the bus coming home.. He didnt have a key and said through the top glass of the door which was dimpled glass.. he saw me go from the kitchen to his bedroom... so kept knocking on the door ... thinking I was in.... When I was coming up the communal stairs he heard me and asked... who was in the house.... I laughed but felt scared, and put it down to the dimpled glass in the door causing him to think he saw someone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal