Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

I've taken a somewhat skeptical view of many sightings since many can be attributed to chinese paper lanterns or balloons with light sticks. You get floating lights in a pattern.
But on Monday just after 10 PM I happened to be casually stargazing in the backyard while waiting for the dog. Looking up at the clear night sky and the bright stars I saw an object whiz past at extreme speed, literally gone in a second when it disappeared. It had two lights one right after the other very close and appeared to be from one craft. It seemed low enough to be a jet but it moved too fast to be a jet. It left no trail like a meteor would and I don't think I've ever seen a dual meteor, so I'd say it wasn't an meteor. No sounds. I saw its lights distinctly so it didn't appear to be extremely high up.
It moved FAST. And it just vanished in mid sky sort of appearing to be going up and accelerating as it went.
Anybody go to Above Top Secret.com? They have some good discussions about a wide vareity of conspiracies and topics but the sites been down now for awhile.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I saw a UFO about 20 years ago and at close range. It was of the "cigar shaped" variety, greenish and moving slowly. I tend to think it was an illusion of some sort (sure looked like a physical object though).

Interestingly, some people I've told about it are more convinced than me, that it was the real deal - little green men.

Last edited by Joe90; 04-03-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM

194 posts, read 300,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
What I never get about the whole UFO phenomenon is why there seem to be so many different shapes and designs? If they are in fact machines of some sort, then form usually follows function and manufacturing dictates some repetition, so there will usually be certain recurring design characteristics. But the look of these things always seems to be all over the map... what gives? In fact have there ever been any pics of any two UFOs that are the same design... or are little green men just continually knocking out idiosyncratic ''one-off'' UFO's in their garage somewhere?
There is actually a classification system used by ufologists. Unfortunately I could not find the one I was looking for so this will have to do. 8 MOST COMMON UFO SHAPES | Weekly World News

Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Tell me something - If you could create anything you wanted out of thin air, would you make the same as the next man? Most people would not and would create something unique to themselves.

We are looking at these phenomena as if they abide by our rules of physics and as is they abiide by our KNOWN rules of how our 3D world works. If your civilisation has been around and constantly developing technology for millions of years, you are not going to be stuck with jet engines.

IF there are aliens out there, it is really scary to think that they are going to have technology far, far, far more advanced than ours and they will understand a lot of how the Universe hangs together. Now... do we understand this? No, not at all.

I think most of the stuff out there is ours and our secret black projects. The stuff that is not ours is probably not even made with solid matter.

Of course, this is all speculation, but we have to start to think in terms of wild sci-fi not 50 years ahead of now.
To add to that, we have to understand that technology millions of years ahead of us or even 2,000 years ahead of us is going to seem like magic. Our technology today would seem like magic to someone from the middle ages. Even a simple cigarette lighter would seem like an object of sorcery. As much as we think we know about the universe and how it works, we really haven't even scratched the surface. We ourselves are proof of extraterrestrial life. If we exist in this universe, there must be others. Some may be less advanced then us and some may be far ahead of us. Remember, as soon as our rovers landed on Mars, we ourselves became extraterrestrials.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Tell me something - If you could create anything you wanted out of thin air, would you make the same as the next man? Most people would not and would create something unique to themselves.

We are looking at these phenomena as if they abide by our rules of physics and as is they abiide by our KNOWN rules of how our 3D world works. If your civilisation has been around and constantly developing technology for millions of years, you are not going to be stuck with jet engines.

IF there are aliens out there, it is really scary to think that they are going to have technology far, far, far more advanced than ours and they will understand a lot of how the Universe hangs together. Now... do we understand this? No, not at all.

I think most of the stuff out there is ours and our secret black projects. The stuff that is not ours is probably not even made with solid matter.

Of course, this is all speculation, but we have to start to think in terms of wild sci-fi not 50 years ahead of now.
Holy friggin' smoke, Batman! "Wild sci-fi" is most often more "fi" than "sci". "Hard" sci-fi would be a better bet if you want to use sci-fi at all. The fact is that the laws of physics we do know about are very accurate and have been tested to extreme precision. There may be unknown laws (actually, there probably are -- otherwise there'd be no point in building ever bigger particle colliders and other experiments), but that doesn't automatically mean "anything is possible" and that the known laws don't also have to be obeyed.

And yeah, "wild" sci-fi... that's like saying "wild speculation" (which is what "wild sci-fi" is...) is more likely to be correct than more directed, discerning, and reasoned approaches. Yet all of science shows the exact opposite, as far as I can tell.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4ty4 View Post
Holy friggin' smoke, Batman! "Wild sci-fi" is most often more "fi" than "sci". "Hard" sci-fi would be a better bet if you want to use sci-fi at all. The fact is that the laws of physics we do know about are very accurate and have been tested to extreme precision. There may be unknown laws (actually, there probably are -- otherwise there'd be no point in building ever bigger particle colliders and other experiments), but that doesn't automatically mean "anything is possible" and that the known laws don't also have to be obeyed.

And yeah, "wild" sci-fi... that's like saying "wild speculation" (which is what "wild sci-fi" is...) is more likely to be correct than more directed, discerning, and reasoned approaches. Yet all of science shows the exact opposite, as far as I can tell.
Oh boy, are YOU funny.
People said the same thing about the earth being flat not too long ago. EVERYONE knew it was true. Their 'science' confirmed it.
How about 'modern' science, at one time, thought the human body would shatter to pieces if autos went faster than 5mph?
Science once believed man could never travel in space.

The wonderful thing about science (as opposed to religion), is that it is ALWAYS willing to change, to question, to even tackle KNOWN facts if new information calls them into question.
Science is OPEN MINDED and NOT dogmatic, thank goodness.
(Well, it SHOULD be.)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quite right, a huge difference between religion and science, just like there is a huge difference between concrete facts and the extremely subjective topic of what people see (or imagine they saw).

Attempting to associate UFO's with science is as ludicrous as associating Nazi's with pacifists or the KKK with racial harmony...

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
There is actually a classification system used by ufologists. Unfortunately I could not find the one I was looking for so this will have to do. 8 MOST COMMON UFO SHAPES | Weekly World News
The US Air Force uses this top-secret identification chart...

US Air Force TOP-SECRET UFO Chart

Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I recently read a Brasscheck or Forbidden Planet video about Billy Meier. It seemed to say that our government's progress in the scientific basis of these things is way more advanced than is let on. It claimed that there were many visitors from other planets that were human, not readily distinguished from the rest of us if they were spotted walking down the street and there was a suggestion that the monstrosities that most people think of when they think of alien visitation are artificial creations, manufactured by our government. Disinformation.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that when I was a child I think most of the alien depictions had them presented as humans.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
That was great, Ghengis.

I remember Billy Meier. I saw the videos about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal