Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 28,415 times

Advertisements

There are many "believers" steeped in superstition who give credence to so called "paranormal" events which in actuality may simply be coincidences or delusions, to fulfill a false sense of " power" or "superiority." Some of these "believers" are charlatans who rely on fraudulent practices to fleece the public for monetary gains. There are the mentally disturbed suffering from schizophrenia or paranoia, haunted by the voice of God or authority attributed figures. Religious fanatics and politicians claiming they are guided by the voice of God have always been prevalent in the past as they are today.

Advanced Yogis are said to experience the paranormal frequently, but pay little heed as these experiences are commonplace in their meditative practices as they attempt to reach nirvana. Exploitation of the paranormal is left to fakirs to impress their audiences. Saints and other deeply religious figures through their meditative states readily accept what we term, "the unexplainable" without further thought as they seek peace with their God.

Most individuals whom have"truly" experienced a paranormal event, are usually humbled and reticent to share their experience, for fear that others will look askance at them. Often the experience brings change and enlightenment to them with an awareness of another dimension beyond our understanding, and a desire to re-experience the situation, but feel frustrated that recurrence can't be willed. Fortunately, this message board allows these individuals to share their experiences with others whom have had similar experiences, affirming their own occurrence.

The non-believer is usually an individual who has not had a paranormal experience and is often quick to discount the possibility, stating it can't be proved scientifically.The more adamant the disbeliever may be, the more likely he or she has a false sense of superiority supported by the belief that science has all the answers. Arguing against this type of smugness is as futile as trying to persuade another with one's own religious beliefs.

There are others who are inquisitive but have not experienced the "unexplainable" and are open to its possibilities, perhaps even envious. We have all types on this board which makes it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM

455 posts, read 898,620 times
So let me ask you this...
How much legitimacy or respect should be given to a person's beliefs? And how do you measure the amount of legitimacy you give them? Is there an objective foundation upon which you judge such a legitimacy, or do you simply allow belief to be belief and go no further?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
The OP did not mention that some non believers have experienced psychic phenomena and still refuse to accept it. I think there are some people who have been influenced strongly by either certain religions or a philosophy that everything has an explanation that is rational according to our current state of knowledge. So they will conclude that they had a temporary mental failure of some sort and chances are that there is some deep seated primitive fear brought into play that forces them to reject the evidence of their own senses.

Sorry if that seemed rambling. There are some people who will grasp at any tenuous explanation rather than just accept that there are some things we just do not now fully understand.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 AM

651 posts, read 705,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The OP did not mention that some non believers have experienced psychic phenomena and still refuse to accept it. I think there are some people who have been influenced strongly by either certain religions or a philosophy that everything has an explanation that is rational according to our current state of knowledge. So they will conclude that they had a temporary mental failure of some sort and chances are that there is some deep seated primitive fear brought into play that forces them to reject the evidence of their own senses.

Sorry if that seemed rambling. There are some people who will grasp at any tenuous explanation rather than just accept that there are some things we just do not now fully understand.
That is BS. I have an open mind. If I see something I will not dismiss it out of hand. But it is reasonable to say if something happens is there an explanation other than some oogieboogie did it?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
That is BS. I have an open mind. If I see something I will not dismiss it out of hand. But it is reasonable to say if something happens is there an explanation other than some oogieboogie did it?
There is no reason to get nasty. I did not accuse you of anything. I don't know if your mind is opened or not, nor should I care, really. We are each at different stages of sensitivity and development on the planet and we're not in a race. It's probable that you have had some experiences that I've yet to have and vice versa.

I am not sure what you are referring to as 'oogieboogie'. Is this a regular part of your vocabulary?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM

25 posts, read 28,415 times
goldengrain,

I concur that there may be some individuals so bent on "rational" proof that they may gloss over a paranormal occurrence and attribute it to a momentary delusion or coincidence. But I believe there is a larger number who may attribute the delusion or coincidence to being a paranormal experience when in actuality it may be a quirk of the senses or a wish for mystical powers.

Experiencing a "truly" paranormal experience does not leave one in self doubt, although the occurrence may be unexplainable, especially after a self examination as to state of mind and consciousness and conditions which may be attributable to distorted perceptions.

P.S. It is best to ignore the very few on this board with nothing better to do than attempt to bolster their false sense of superiority by ceaselessly trying to intimidate and disprove anyone who makes any claim to the unexplainable.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenic View Post
P.S. It is best to ignore the very few on this board with nothing better to do than attempt to bolster their false sense of superiority by ceaselessly trying to intimidate and disprove anyone who makes any claim to the unexplainable.
Very good advice. I have found that once some people stop getting the attention they seek, they leave.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I was once told for believers anything is proof enough, and for nonbelievers nothing is proof enough.

The more I read, the more I totally get that. There are people that will not believe. WILL. NOT.

And there are people that believe too much.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenic View Post
There are many "believers" steeped in superstition who give credence to so called "paranormal" events which in actuality may simply be coincidences or delusions, to fulfill a false sense of " power" or "superiority." Some of these "believers" are charlatans who rely on fraudulent practices to fleece the public for monetary gains. There are the mentally disturbed suffering from schizophrenia or paranoia, haunted by the voice of God or authority attributed figures. Religious fanatics and politicians claiming they are guided by the voice of God have always been prevalent in the past as they are today.

Advanced Yogis are said to experience the paranormal frequently, but pay little heed as these experiences are commonplace in their meditative practices as they attempt to reach nirvana. Exploitation of the paranormal is left to fakirs to impress their audiences. Saints and other deeply religious figures through their meditative states readily accept what we term, "the unexplainable" without further thought as they seek peace with their God.

Most individuals whom have"truly" experienced a paranormal event, are usually humbled and reticent to share their experience, for fear that others will look askance at them. Often the experience brings change and enlightenment to them with an awareness of another dimension beyond our understanding, and a desire to re-experience the situation, but feel frustrated that recurrence can't be willed. Fortunately, this message board allows these individuals to share their experiences with others whom have had similar experiences, affirming their own occurrence.

The non-believer is usually an individual who has not had a paranormal experience and is often quick to discount the possibility, stating it can't be proved scientifically.The more adamant the disbeliever may be, the more likely he or she has a false sense of superiority supported by the belief that science has all the answers. Arguing against this type of smugness is as futile as trying to persuade another with one's own religious beliefs.

There are others who are inquisitive but have not experienced the "unexplainable" and are open to its possibilities, perhaps even envious. We have all types on this board which makes it interesting.
I have little doubt that there are individuals that do have abilities. I also have no doubt that the vast majority of individuals that profess to have abilities for profit are fakes. Those that have genuine experiences generally do not talk about them.

I have had one experience that I can not explain. About ten years after my father passed away, I was having a tough time with my life. One day, I got the scent of "BAY RUN". After that, things just seemed to fall into place. There are trees that smell just like BAY RUN, but they grow in places like Florida, not Wisconsin, where I was at the time. And, BAY RUN was my father's after shave. I know it's available because I've done a search for it on the internet, but I have doubt that there are many men that use it. I have not smelled it in many years.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM

577 posts, read 992,734 times
There will always be people that believe regardless. They want to believe, so they do. There will always be debunkers who seem to spend a fair amount of their spare time attacking anyone that believes. I think most of the rest of us are in the middle trying to make sense of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal