Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,649,548 times

Advertisements

Is this a ghost outside Parliament? Mysterious apparition caught on camera next to the Thames on New Year's Eve | Mail Online

I don't know. The photographer seems to be reputable (or at least one would think so if he's put this out). What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Not a ghost.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Unfortunately these days with digital tech it's pretty hard to convince folk you have a genuine ghost photo.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,649,548 times
The photographer must be an idiot. Why would he put his credibility and career on the line by doing this? I don't think it's a ghost, either.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,948,149 times
Add a layer in a program like Photoshop, position it above the landscape layer, drop in another image in the new layer and set its opacity low. Generate an image file and voila, a ghost.

My guess: either a publicity stunt, or a prank played on the photographer by a coworker.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
I just saw an explanation as to how the "ghost" may have gotten in the picture.
The photographer stated no one was there before he snapped the picture, but that more than likely is not the case.
Someone could have been there either seconds before, or after the lens was opened to take the shot.
With what I just saw on tv, the subject was having her picture taken in the corner of a room.
Just as the camera snapped the picture she stepped away from the camera.
Before the lens fully closed, it snapped the ghostly image of her.
The image came out looking just like the one in this image which is the subject of this thread.
The person taking the picture explained that the camera lens was timed for a specific amount of seconds, and that the image of the girl was still captured by the camera, even though she had stepped out of view of the lens.
Bob.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I just saw an explanation as to how the "ghost" may have gotten in the picture.
The photographer stated no one was there before he snapped the picture, but that more than likely is not the case.
Someone could have been there either seconds before, or after the lens was opened to take the shot.
With what I just saw on tv, the subject was having her picture taken in the corner of a room.
Just as the camera snapped the picture she stepped away from the camera.
Before the lens fully closed, it snapped the ghostly image of her.
The image came out looking just like the one in this image which is the subject of this thread.
The person taking the picture explained that the camera lens was timed for a specific amount of seconds, and that the image of the girl was still captured by the camera, even though she had stepped out of view of the lens.
Bob.
Typically if the shutter is open for an extended period of time, long enough for someone to move, the moving object is blurred. That goes for both film and digital cameras.

I don't believe such an exposure is even possible with a digital camera. There is no way for there to be a double exposure. But with a film camera, it's possible. However, a night shot requires either fast film or long exposure times- and a tripod. It could have happened while setting up for the shot. A accidental bit of the button and not advancing the film then taking the long shot.
But I wonder, what professional photographer regularly uses film cameras anymore? Unless of course you want to have such effects as double exposure. Then again, Photoshop can replicate this as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
It's my unoffical job to debunk ghost photos on the forum but this time I'm 100% sure it's a real, authentic, true ghost picture.

Clearly this is the soul of a deceased jock from Hasmonean High School. He most likely died in the 80's while driving home from a new years party in his new Reliant Robin, when it rolled into the Thames on that spot on a similarly cold January morning long ago.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
I don't know about digital SLR cameras but this is fairly simple to do with a film SLR camera - I did a few pictures similar to this in high school with my younger brother being the "ghost." I used both long exposure times with him walking in and out of the frame at night and some double exposures to create the effect. I never claimed my pictures were of real ghosts. I had a huge interest in special effects and ghost photos at the time. Most of them didn't turn out the way I wanted, but a few turned out looking very much like this photo.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 AM

84 posts, read 184,936 times
I've come to the conclusion long ago, that if someone doesn't believe, they're simply not going to believe any "ghost" photo, regardless of the story, or what the photographer claims. How many times have I heard people say... "That's supposed to be a ghost? It looks like a pixilated mess! Why are the photos always so blurry? That could be anything." Then the same people are shown a photo of a exceptionally clear "ghost" photograph showing what clearly is a human form with the photographer swearing on a stack of bibles that what he / she took is absolutely unexplainable, and not messed with in any way, and they'll say... "Oh come on... It's obviously fake, it looks to real." So, you can't win. Nothing will convince a non believer, because they simply can't except the possibility that any such thing could possibly exist in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal