Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

My state has a new stigmatized property law on the books but it favors the seller...if the buyer doesn't ask, the seller doesn't have to say. Whew. It never even entered my mind to say my mother had died in the house! Momma didn't haunt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I read from somewhere that only 3 states have the law that states that it has to be revealed that a death has occurred in a home before a prospective owner buys it. But what about revealing hauntings? There's no actual law about it that I know of. Does anyone know?

I'd sure as heck would like to know if I home I was considering to buy was haunted.

In NY, California and Pennsylvania there are laws about "stigmatized property". These properties do not need to be reputed as haunted in order to qualify as "stigmatized".
However a reputed haunting is one of the classifications that makes a house "stigmatized".

Other conditions include being the site of a murder or suicide.

It is the owner/sellers responsibility to disclose this.

The court does not believe or disbelieve - in ghosts in order to believe what is true. Homes such as these command less money on the market. Even people who do not believe in hauntings, or that the site of a murder might be haunted, will generally eschew living in a house with a bad reputation.

I'm originally from LI NY and the Amityville house, 40 years after the murders and the reputed haunting, still draws crowds on Halloween and on other nights.

Not many people want to live in a "house of ill repute".

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Actually the California disclosure law states only that the seller is obligated ONLY to disclose a death within the last 3 years prior to the sale. Prior to 3 years it is not required to disclose "the occurrence or manner of death" of a prior occupant. So a suicide 4 years ago need not be disclosed.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Dad passed in a hospital, but shortly after, in the locked shop debris were being swept to the center of the walk way through out the shop, so I set up a camera.
Lights floated past and critters passed but I wanted a better angle so I moved the camera to a different spot and the electronics burned inside . (battery operated)
The other phenomena is the electric meter quit registering , my brother was receiving the bill at his address ,and there were no new registries for about 2 years.
I didn't know that, and I was living there , Partially on solar , but I was using city power as well , running larger equipment.
Contacting the electric company they simply installed a new meter and did not estimate the loss.
No new phenomenon have occurred after that, but it was interesting for a while.
I have known about homes where lights and TV would com on from time to time in the middle of the night ,even homes that the cleaning lady was literally pushed out of the house and things thrown at her.
I love to see some of the CD nay sayers live in some of these homes for a while. Let them prove their unbelief.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Yes, interesting info. I'll just hope & pray that nothing to cause ghosts occurred at the homes I plan to live at.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
When I bought my house, I asked the realtor and neighbors if there were any RUMORED hauntings regarding the property. Believe it or not, there was one house I was interested in and the neighbor said something like, I don't believe ghosts in or anything, but the last people who lived in that house thought it was haunted. I didn't buy it.

You can also research property records to see how many times a property has changed hands. If nobody's staying that would definitely be a red flag to me.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I read from somewhere that only 3 states have the law that states that it has to be revealed that a death has occurred in a home before a prospective owner buys it. But what about revealing hauntings? There's no actual law about it that I know of. Does anyone know?

I'd sure as heck would like to know if I home I was considering to buy was haunted.
In Ontario, there is a law that any stigma attached to a home has to be disclosed to prospective buyers prior to the house being sold. This would include murders, suicides and alleged hauntings. Basically, any kind of reputation that could affect the home's market value.

The realtor that sold us our home is a good friend of mine and told us he has sold homes that fell into the "allegedly haunted" category.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
I'm not sure, but we were showing a condo to a couple in Tempe and the guy asked out of the blue if someone died there. Someone did die there and that's why it was on the market, but I thought it was an eerie question to ask.

I wonder if people can "feel" that stuff.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm not sure, but we were showing a condo to a couple in Tempe and the guy asked out of the blue if someone died there. Someone did die there and that's why it was on the market, but I thought it was an eerie question to ask.

I wonder if people can "feel" that stuff.
Yes they can.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 PM

112 posts, read 177,433 times
From what I have been told, here in NC, if the home has been investigated by "qualified paranormal experts", whatever that means, and they determine it is "haunted", something about "odd happenings" in the home have to be told to anyone that plans to bid on the house or buy it outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal