Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, ya know this is a forum...and we have all had many experiences in the past from forums...
Sometimes there are molds that people fit in...from years of experience and
sometimes mistakes are made.
If we could look into your eyes and not just see your words with no tone in print,
we/ I could feel differently, thus come off differently.
The Forums online are filled with professional debators...wow, you were one
outta many that says he is not...cool.
I already said I was sorry if I was wrong...would you like more?

You love lists and to rehash/hang onto the past...do you want an apology for each
Item on your list to be able to move on?

Or would you like to judge ME now? Not really knowing me either?
Lemme know.

Edit:And please do not refer to me as religious.
Oh my my Miss Hepburn.

I don't love to hold grudges or hold onto the past and no I don't need an apology for each item.

I understand why you reacted the way that you did. I did not take it personally

Peace love and light my dear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I have no judgments about others spiritual paths. You did not hear me calling one judgment call. I merely asked for clarification on something in order to understand how one comes to think that they are specially selected by their Creator and thus gets anything they ask for. I was the one judged for asking.
I didn't clarify in that post that I was echoing and agreeing with you in general, didn't mean that you yourself were being judgmental.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
That is not all it is supposed to take. It does take effort, it takes the proper attitude, it takes not getting upset, it takes unifying with others with a like mind...I can go on.
And it's not always what people like to hear.
"One must come to terms with and realize that everything that they have experienced, good and bad, is ones own doing."
Generally people do not like to take personal responsibity, they have a need to blame someone else.
Then there is the issue of excuses and the need to change habits and make sacrifices. These are just more things that people will resist.
And this is no different than what you'd learn about yourself and about the things you need to change to succeed in working with a competent positive psychologist, solution focused therapist, pastoral counselor or life coach ... Without all the metaphysical trappings used to market the LOA. It is, in fact, about building the internal locus of control I referenced in my earlier response. You know, the response that was greeted with derision and contempt by themaster.

Shouldn't a constructive spiritual path lead one to increased tolerance and a sense of peace?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
And this is no different than what you'd learn about yourself and about the things you need to change to succeed in working with a competent positive psychologist, solution focused therapist, pastoral counselor or life coach ... Without all the metaphysical trappings used to market the LOA. It is, in fact, about building the internal locus of control I referenced in my earlier response. You know, the response that was greeted with derision and contempt by themaster.

Shouldn't a constructive spiritual path lead one to increased tolerance and a sense of peace?
I agree with you for the most part. My response was mainly directed at this comment:
"the whole LOA bs is nothing but telling people everything they love to hear. ie, just wish it and it will happen! no need to put in any work, just focus your thoughts and everything will work out just fine."

Which, even with religous teachings, the above comment leaves a lot out and shows a lack of understanding.
Now I am not sure what 'metaphysical trappings' you are refering to. I see no difference in the LOA teachings that do help people as compared to any other self-help speaker/author who would take the approach of self-love. Same lessons, just wrapped in different colored paper.
Everyone finds thier teacher when they are ready, but not everyone is attracted to the same teacher.

mod cut

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Don't give him ammo

Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I didn't clarify in that post that I was echoing and agreeing with you in general, didn't mean that you yourself were being judgmental.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I agree with you for the most part. My response was mainly directed at this comment:
"the whole LOA bs is nothing but telling people everything they love to hear. ie, just wish it and it will happen! no need to put in any work, just focus your thoughts and everything will work out just fine."

Which, even with religous teachings, the above comment leaves a lot out and shows a lack of understanding.
I took TM training back in the early 70s, and it worked. So did the other relaxation techniques I learned over the years like guided imagery and autogenic training ... And I used them with success later with my anger management and anxiety disorder clients.

TM training induction "graduation" involved bringing fruit wrapped in a cloth and a flower and probably something else to offer to the spirit of a master. The trainer would pause, and then give you your special mantra.

Turns out TM works just as well without the mumbo jumbo, the flower and the "special" mantra. Any word works just as well; it's the technique that matters and it's a physiological response, nothing spiritual.

There may be techniques associated with LOA that work, but I suspect they're little different than the techniques I'd use with a counseling or coaching client who sees himself as a victim. Wrapping it in spirituality is little different to me than what the prosperity gospel guys do, but replacing Jesus and scripture with the Universe and other new age concepts. Saying the Universe gave me X because I followed these rules is I think a weaker statement than saying: I've decided to take responsibilty for my life and change things.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM

256 posts, read 342,830 times
Okay, i've been thinking about this thread for two days and been wanting to add something but i'm not sure how to put this, so if makes no sense... then ignore me. I'm no expert on law of attraction, honestly I am just starting to learn and understand it myself. I think the problem isn't that its counterintuitive, I don't think thats the right word.

See here is how I see it, your problem is you can't focus on wanting good things while bad things happen in your life, you can't help but feel bad emotions when bad things happen, is this correct? You don't understand how bad things can still happen when you are focused on good things to happen. It doesn't make sense.

How I see it is, when bad things happen to you while you are focused on good things doesn't mean you are doing the LOA "wrong" per-say. One of the things that keeps getting said with LOA is that it takes time to see the outcome. So the bad things that happen are from past bad thoughts, it takes time to manifest things. The key is, when these bad things happen, is to not invest in them EMOTIONALLY while still handling them in your life, you can't just ignore them and focus on happy thoughts. But at the same time you can't throw your whole heart and soul into the bad things that happen because then more bad things will happen. You need to OVERCOME the bad things and keep a happy heart while bad things happen, and I promise that with practice it isn't as hard as it sounds. I notice what helps for me is when bad things happen I think of it as a "test of my faith", my faith with "the universe". I think a big thing in law of attraction is you have to TRUST that the universe knows whats best, and you fight the flow is when bad things happen, if you let the bad things you can't control take over your life you are making it harder on yourself than it needs to be.

- again, i'm not sure this makes sense -

No, you can not ignore the bad things like car accidents and broken bones and late bills - but you can also can't let one or two or 8 thousand bad things control your life, and most importantly your emotions. Its okay to cry sometimes when bad things happen, thats normal, but in your heart you have to not just believe but KNOW that things will get better. Much like the religious believe god tests us, I very much believe the universe does too. Our souls were put on earth to learn, and everything we learn can't be good, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn to love the universe with our whole soul. And when people do bad things to you, don't curse them, bless them and wish good things on them. The more love and happiness you put onto the earth the more will come to you. The key is just to KNOW and believe that good always overcomes. Be strong.

Hope this helps someone, thinking this way is the only way I have been able to get law of attraction to work for me. I tried the secret, and honestly never listen to Abraham (I know I should), but this way just seems simpler - maybe a bit more religious, but it helps when you have faith in something, doesn't matter if its god or the universe or yourself, but having faith and knowledge that things will be good and great is really key. Not just feeling it, dreaming it, hoping it, wanting it, but to know without doubt that things will come through the storm. Bless your life, bless those around you, bless those you dislike, and bless those who hurt you. The more goodness you put out the more you get back, and all the bitterness in your heart must be overcame.

Hey, I haven't gotten all the bitterness in my heart out yet, but nothing has brought me such great fortune as wishing fortune on those who do bad things to me. We are all one soul and by blessing the good people AND the bad people you are blessing yourself.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 365 times
Better late than never...

Here’s how I understand it. What
You focus on most, you get
More of. If you are pretty content with life but you still allow your focus to go to what you don’t already have but want, or focus on the 1 or 2 things that aren’t going well in your life, you will inevitably attract more of that in your life. The feelings thing works like this...if you are aware of your feelings often, and you can acknowledge when something feels bad, and you make the choice to focus more on what brings you joy in your life, eventually, maybe not immediately, but eventually, more good will come about. And you will inevitabley no longer register the thing that brought you negative emotion anymore. If I focus my attention away from drama and negative people and focus only on good things, maybe even only the good qualities of those negative dramatic people, eventually, with time and practice, the negative aspects of those people won’t even register in my perception. I have experienced this many times in many circumstances in my life. It takes some deliberate thought work for sure. And that can sometimes be tricky. But again with practice and being aware of your feelings so you can shift focus deliberately to something better, you can make a difference in your own perception and life.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 PM

855 posts, read 624,153 times
All I know is that if the LOA really worked, I’d be going through a lot
more turmoil than I do. I tend to envision the worst case scenario in
many situations only for those situations to turn out just fine. Maybe
I’ve got my wires crossed and a reverse LOA is at work in my life, kind
of like a sink where the cold-water lever turns on the hot water and
vice versa. The more negativity I expect, the more positive the
outcomes. Very confusing...

Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
All I know is that if the LOA really worked, I’d be going through a lot
more turmoil than I do. I tend to envision the worst case scenario in
many situations only for those situations to turn out just fine. Maybe
I’ve got my wires crossed and a reverse LOA is at work in my life, kind
of like a sink where the cold-water lever turns on the hot water and
vice versa. The more negativity I expect, the more positive the
outcomes. Very confusing...
Are you using those worst case scenarios to prepare yourself? Thinking of bad things is not going to attract the bad things, one has to also carry the strong feeling of dread that goes along with it. I often think of what could ‘go wrong’, but I do not ever dwell on it. And when I find myself going on and actually worrying about them, I stop because I don’t want it.
I know very well this that you experience. As a kid, I was shy and not popular or anything remotely outgoing, so I held some self-conscious issues. I would be fearful of some outcome when I really wanted something strongly. My thought process would be something like I was not worthy. But I would set my mind to ‘expect the worst’ and prepare for it... but as for my ‘wish’ - I put it out there and then just let it go. It worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal