Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

If you are getting the "ultimate creeps" about ghost stories, it does not sound as if you are an appropriate person to be working in a hospital for people with mental illnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I am an agnostic when it comes to ghosts, but if you're dubious about this job, it may not be for you. If you do decide to give it a try, offering a prayer for things to go well just before you enter the building is a good idea. If you think it would help, carry a little talisman or reminder of some sort in your pocket - a cross, lucky piece, worry stone, favorite picture, whatever is meaningful to you and is associated with safety and protection.

have you actually set foot in this place yet? If not, could you ask for a sort of orientation tour before you begin working there? That might help allay your fears.

Try to see your patients as individuals, not as uniformly dangerous people -while some may be, the majority will not be dangerous. You will have to establish authority and appropriate professional boundaries with your patients, but you can still be pleasant and respectful to them. Both go a very long way with defusing potentially difficult interactions, whether the individuals involved have a diagnosis or not. Learning more about various forms of mental illness, in particular those which apply to the people you'll be working with, would be very helpful. There are very constructive ways to interact with and communicate effectively with people with diagnoses like schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, and so on.

I wouldn't worry about wearing drab clothing - actually, wearing cheerful colors might help raise the emotional 'temperature" of the place and make it more pleasant for everyone. Keeping your hair tied back may not be a bad idea, but try smiling rather than looking scared or intimidated - the latter would seem pretty close to being a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. Look people in the eye (unless you're advised not to do so) and politely address them by name and treat them as adults in so far as possible. Be pleasant, but also keep your emotional distance. You can still be compassionate and caring, but don't get emotionally drawn in.

You may still find yourself being "tested", but keep your cool and don't react unduly to such tests. If you act scared or intimidated, your patients will very likely pick up on that immediately and react accordingly, so set your fears aside, claim your authority (without bullying or threats) and help your patients regain their stability.

It may also be helpful to learn that some theories hold that ghosts are stuck in places which were emotionally significant to them in life, and that they tend to repeat patterns of behavior, rather than to threaten the living. There are a few exceptions, according to this theory - mischievous ghosts, who only want recognition for harmless pranks - "hey, there, john, I see you're making the lights flicker again" is an appropriate response to such a ghost - but generally, ghosts are not particularly intelligent, not malicious and they repeat their actions. If you believe this theory, you can work with it. it's also said that ghosts of this sort are not even aware of contemporary, live human beings - they're just trying to work out their own problems which are "left over" from their previous existences, so they can move on to the next world.

good luck to you.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
CraigCreek, I appreciate all the info! I actually plan to talk to my supervisor for this internship tonight by phone to get the scoop & find out as much as possible.

I don't want her to know I'm scared, however I will be expressing my concerns. I don't plan to mention about anything paranormal. My main concern is my personal safety & how I'll interact with these patients.

I actually had a good talk with her earlier tonight by phone & it actually doesn't seem too bad. I just hope the place itself doesn't feel creepy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Don't ever let a patient get between you & the door. Seriously. Not good in a mental or any kind of hospital. But that should just be common sense.

Ever hear of the term "self-fulfilling prophecy"? R-E-L-A-X.
Oh yes, I thought about the door thing for sure! I'm also going to mk sure I know where at least 3 restrooms are, so if I can't go to one for some reason, there are others to go to.

I hope the place is pretty populated with employees rather than sparse & isolated.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
If you've never had a paranormal experience chances are you never will. Not all people are sensitive to such things. You won't be there alone will you?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 PM

animalcrazy, that's right...no paranormal experiences ever & I'm almost 40, but then again, I haven't traveled that much or been out & about in peculiar places. And no, won't be at this place alone, thank God & it will be during daytime hours that I'm there.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Default Small Update

OP here. So, I went on the premises for the first time on Thurs & there is a creepiness factor to it, even during the day. I sure wouldn't want to be there after dark! The grounds are huge with many little streets that you can drive along within the place. There are a lot of old, abandoned buildings that are no longer used on the grounds & there are many cemented walkways surrounded by dead lawns. The place was built in 1917 after all. Personnel said that the place is haunted (chapel, don't know what other bldgs are) & that many horror movies were filmed there & I can see why.

I only have to be there 2 days a week for the next 5 weeks, so I'm glad of that! I'll update more in a few weeks.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Most of my family won't visit me at work since I work in the boiler room which is right next door to the morgue. They ask if I see or hear anything strange. All the time, but not from the dead. Always look for a logical explanation before shouting ghost. I've had my share of ghost experience on a Navy ship.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
OP, since you say you believe in god maybe it would help you to discuss this with whatever priest or spiritual advisor you have in your life. If you believe in the bible you know that it says over and over again, Fear not, be not afraid.
Remember the old saying, "Don't worry about the Dead, they can't hurt you. Its the living you gotta watch out for."
Good luck with your internship.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:24 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
OP, since you say you believe in god maybe it would help you to discuss this with whatever priest or spiritual advisor you have in your life. If you believe in the bible you know that it says over and over again, Fear not, be not afraid.
Remember the old saying, "Don't worry about the Dead, they can't hurt you. Its the living you gotta watch out for."
Good luck with your internship.
I don't feel like there is anything in this place but if she is an intern and scared to death of spirits, what is she doing working in a psyche unit?

As a medium ( so to speak or gifted or whatever) her post is about not getting paid to do this and she is backing it up with every inconceivable problem to get out of this. If spirits are a bother to her ( which I seriously doubt anything is in that building) , what is she going to do with a mental patient that sees spirits all the time, that thinks this is normal? Is that just too 'bizarre" for her because it's a no pay position? She has to do her internship somewhere.

I would think she needs to change her degree.

Also, This has NOTHING to do with JESUS!

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-21-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
No kidding but she has these beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal