Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

I've read and watched various stories of ghosts and hauntings on various sites, shows, and radio programs.
One common thing they all seem to share is the fact that most of the ghosts/spirits/apparitions involved all seem to be from the 1700s-early 20th century.
Then they just seem to drop off from there.

And recently, I was listening to some skit on an internet comedy radio channel talking about why the only ghosts and hauntings people talk about all involve some cowboy or Victorian era woman.

Anywho, has anyone ever witnessed or heard of an account of ghost/haunting case that involved apparitions that appeared to look like someone from within the past 20-30 years?
Wearing modern day looking clothes, speaking about things that only happened not all that long ago.

Maybe the Victorian-era ghost stories and lore get more attention due to the over-romanticism of that particular time that continues to persist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
There are a number of recent haunting. IIRC, a show that I once watched on Hollywood murders mentioned one or two from the 80s. If you want to go back a few decades further there are certainly a number of Hollywood-related hauntings. Strathcona Hotel in Edmonton, Canada has a ghost believed to be a woman murdered in the 1980s. A bit of googling will find you many more examples.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Google the Knickerbocker hotel in Hollywood.

Bob.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've read and watched various stories of ghosts and hauntings on various sites, shows, and radio programs.
One common thing they all seem to share is the fact that most of the ghosts/spirits/apparitions involved all seem to be from the 1700s-early 20th century.
Then they just seem to drop off from there.

And recently, I was listening to some skit on an internet comedy radio channel talking about why the only ghosts and hauntings people talk about all involve some cowboy or Victorian era woman.

Anywho, has anyone ever witnessed or heard of an account of ghost/haunting case that involved apparitions that appeared to look like someone from within the past 20-30 years?
Wearing modern day looking clothes, speaking about things that only happened not all that long ago.

Maybe the Victorian-era ghost stories and lore get more attention due to the over-romanticism of that particular time that continues to persist.
'All', overstating.

Most recent on camera from this past Halloween. Trick-or-treating with a friend and her kids, nite time of course. I took along my camera ( a good SLR), and did a group photo of the kids in costume. After reviewing, off to the right in the distance of one photo, a man and little boy near a tree trunk. Wondering who they were, and not remembering seeing them, blew up the photo and discovered neither had legs below the knees or feet and what appeared to be modern day clothing, not Halloween garb or 1700's.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Haunting and other paranormal activity is most often the result of a death at that location, especially an untimely, sudden, violent death. The chances of that happening 200 years ago is much greater than in a 10-15 year old home. We once looked at a house to buy that showed signs of an out-of-control fireplace fire, with some sooty residue on the paint. After checking with a policeman friend in that city, we found that the woman there had killed her husband and burned him. Needless to say, we passed on it. There was an episode of Ghost Hunters filmed in the home of some people we know in our city. That home was only a few years old, but they thought it was a resident's deceased mother searching for her. There have been other times when a newer home was suspected to be haunted, and was built on what was a former battleground or graveyard.

Ghost Hunters - Season 3, Episode 16: Ghostly Houseguest - TV.com

Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
I lived in a house that was built in the early 70's. It was haunted by the designer/owner. It was his house and he liked it there.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 PM

Well I'm a bit at ease now that I know I'm not the only one who wondered about this sort of thing.

That bit about the unknown man and boy with no legs by the tree is definitely a spooker.
Kind of makes you wonder if they were accident victims who were killed nearby and just sort of wander the area.

Then at work place, we've got all the trucks and trailers parked there for repair, some for sale, and others just there for when a driver doesn't want to go all the way down to the cheeseplant.
We've got the wreck of one of our 2015 Volvo tractors sitting in a corner all by itself.
A Dodge pickup ran head on into it while it was stopped.
Our driver survived, shaken.
But the Dodge pickup guy was killed on impact.

Makes one wonder if he's still lingering around what is part of his "death site".

Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times
I would say that more reported ghosts are from a time when it's more difficult/impossible to find information on the person on the internet or current living relatives of the person.

After all, it's much easier to claim you see a ghost when no one can make you prove it by asking them questions about themselves that can be easily proven.

People are more likely to see a ghost of a nameless Victorian era woman than they are the nephew of their neighbor that died 5 years ago that has personal information all over the place.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:15 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
There was some sort of ghost at the house which was built in the 1970s. He used to fumble with keys at the front door--he never had the right key--and walk through the house to the kitchen. I never saw him; I just heard him. I kept expecting him to say, "Honey, I'm home." The one previous owner was a single female, so I'm not sure where he came from.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I would say that more reported ghosts are from a time when it's more difficult/impossible to find information on the person on the internet or current living relatives of the person.

After all, it's much easier to claim you see a ghost when no one can make you prove it by asking them questions about themselves that can be easily proven.

People are more likely to see a ghost of a nameless Victorian era woman than they are the nephew of their neighbor that died 5 years ago that has personal information all over the place.
Using this criteria, I wonder now if these "nameless Victorian" spirits were forgotten in life.
They passed on with little-to-no-one caring and are now attempting to make a name for themselves in current times by appearing to whomever.

Guess they want to stick around and attempt to get some attention as a means of passing on to wherever the next dimension will take their life energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal