Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 PM

439 posts, read 522,193 times

Advertisements

So according to what I have gathered through your opinions, it was nothing but a case of hypnotic induction and suggestion. It was never real. Hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
So according to what I have gathered through your opinions, it was nothing but a case of hypnotic induction and suggestion. It was never real. Hmmmm
I think that and an attempted money grab is the most logical conclusion.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The abduction accounts of Betty & Barney Hill and the account of Travis Walton are two that I hold as strongest evidences. Very compelling.
I would like to point out that strongest does not actually mean it is strong. Example. I am the strongest person in the room I am in now. I go to the gym....errrrrr.....not so much.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
This seems like one reasonable explanation for their experience:

Making Light: Alien Abduction: Betty & Barney Hill

In short: they might have been sleep deprived, got freaked out by misinterpreted glimpses of the light on Cannon Mountain as they drove on winding roads. We process memories during sleep and dream about them. Betty and Barney would have discussed their experience later. Under hypnotic induction their actual memories, the fear they felt at the experience, dreams about the event, and their later discussions of the experience and whatever they'd (maybe subconsciously) picked up from popular culture (say, a glimpse of the Outer Limits alien in TV Guide or somewhere else in the media) were woven together into the abduction experience.

There's a dreamlike quality at times to their account in the Fuller book. You see this also in Whitley Streiber's accounts of his experiences: seemingly real science fiction elements mixed with the absurdity of dreams. This to me suggests something other than a flesh and blood encounter involved in these stories.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Pretty much.
I mean when you read the account the first thing that comes to mine is a plot to a low-budget Ed Wood sci-fi movie from that period - blinking lights, a "star map", telepathy in English, and aliens wearing blue uniforms and a cap?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
I remember the movie. James Earl Jones played the role of Barney. I recall in their story that the aliens revealed their home planet and what its star system looked like (star alignment). As I recall you could not see these stars with the naked eye, but apparently a system did exist or matched the star alignment told to the Hills which can be seen using a telescope.

What would be interesting is with our ability to detect exoplanets, why not take a peak at this group of stars? Perhaps even have the Seti Institute take a listen?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I remember the movie. James Earl Jones played the role of Barney. I recall in their story that the aliens revealed their home planet and what its star system looked like (star alignment). As I recall you could not see these stars with the naked eye, but apparently a system did exist or matched the star alignment told to the Hills which can be seen using a telescope.

What would be interesting is with our ability to detect exoplanets, why not take a peak at this group of stars? Perhaps even have the Seti Institute take a listen?
Many looked at this star map and it was pretty inconclusive. Some thought it was our solar system, some thought it was in the galaxy, who knows. Carl Sagan I think concluded that it was just a random series of dots.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Many looked at this star map and it was pretty inconclusive. Some thought it was our solar system, some thought it was in the galaxy, who knows. Carl Sagan I think concluded that it was just a random series of dots.
I didn't know that, oh well it was worth a shot.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM

439 posts, read 522,193 times
Quote:
It would be a good idea to do a further and more extensive research on this topic.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney...g_the_star_map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal