Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I wanted us to have a thread to share things that have happened to us that are not paranormal, but unexplained nonetheless.

I tend to believe in a lot of "paranormal" phenomena, but I'm still skeptical about each thing I hear about, and I also recognize there's a lot of BS out there.

Here are some weird things that happened to me, that I'm sure don't involve anything supernatural, but they seem to be unexplainable.

1. As a kid (about 11-12) I had a desk chair that would repeatedly end up lying on its back on the floor. My mom will still joke today about the "ghost" in my room, but I'm sure there was some reasonable explanation. We just never figured it out. I would close my bedroom door when I left for school, and when I'd come home, the chair would be lying on the floor. I would blame my little sister, but sometimes I'd be the first one in the house, and I'd find it like that. I'm sure it was something about the structure of the chair, but oddly, I still have that old chair in my current home, and it hasn't "moved." But back in my childhood it was also on thick shag carpet, and now it's on a solid floor.

2. Soon after I bought my current house 14 years ago, I learned that this one light switch in the kitchen did nothing. There was a strip of under-cabinet lighting near it, that didn't work, so I just figured that switch went to that light, but that it had stopped working long ago. The switch was sideways, so I really didn't know which way was "on" and which way was "off." I could flick it back and forth, but no lights ever came on. So I haven't touched the switch or the light in many years, just totally forgetting about it. Last night I came home from work and the under-cabinet light was on! Now the damned thing works!

3. About 10 years ago, my last hamster died, and I had all this mixed-seed hamster/gerbil food left. I decided to put it out in my backyard shed in the winter, to feed the mice that are out there. I had the idea that if they had food out there, they would be less likely to try to get into my house. I poured the food into several little bowls (the bottoms of flower pots) out in the shed. I went out to check it a couple days later, and found that the seeds had been separated by type: all of one kind of seed was in one bowl, white seeds in that bowl, little brown seeds in another bowl, sunflower seeds in another bowl. It was like one of the mice had OCD and had to organize all the mixed-up seeds!

4. About 5-6 years ago my boyfriend and I were out in the back yard, looking at a dead bush we planned to have removed. There were squirrels up in a tree over us, chattering and making lots of angry noises, like they were angry we were in their zone. Something came flying down out of the tree and bounced off my boyfriend's head and landed on the ground. We looked at it, and it was a possum skull! Somehow, I guess, one of the squirrels had carried it up there and dropped it (or threw it?) onto him. To this day we still refer to the incident of the "scary flying possum skull."

Have you had any weird stuff happen to you that just can't be easily explained?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 02:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
...4. About 5-6 years ago my boyfriend and I were out in the back yard, looking at a dead bush we planned to have removed. There were squirrels up in a tree over us, chattering and making lots of angry noises, like they were angry we were in their zone. Something came flying down out of the tree and bounced off my boyfriend's head and landed on the ground. We looked at it, and it was a possum skull! Somehow, I guess, one of the squirrels had carried it up there and dropped it (or threw it?) onto him. To this day we still refer to the incident of the "scary flying possum skull."

Squirrels have incisors that constantly grow, so they have to grind them down. Sometimes they grind their incisors on bones that they find. We had a large ham bone fall from one of our trees; it had dozens of small grooves, caused by squirrels grinding their incisors on the bone.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:56 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
I wanted us to have a thread to share things that have happened to us that are not paranormal, but unexplained nonetheless.

I tend to believe in a lot of "paranormal" phenomena, but I'm still skeptical about each thing I hear about, and I also recognize there's a lot of BS out there.

Here are some weird things that happened to me, that I'm sure don't involve anything supernatural, but they seem to be unexplainable.

1. As a kid (about 11-12) I had a desk chair that would repeatedly end up lying on its back on the floor. My mom will still joke today about the "ghost" in my room, but I'm sure there was some reasonable explanation. We just never figured it out. I would close my bedroom door when I left for school, and when I'd come home, the chair would be lying on the floor. I would blame my little sister, but sometimes I'd be the first one in the house, and I'd find it like that. I'm sure it was something about the structure of the chair, but oddly, I still have that old chair in my current home, and it hasn't "moved." But back in my childhood it was also on thick shag carpet, and now it's on a solid floor.

2. Soon after I bought my current house 14 years ago, I learned that this one light switch in the kitchen did nothing. There was a strip of under-cabinet lighting near it, that didn't work, so I just figured that switch went to that light, but that it had stopped working long ago. The switch was sideways, so I really didn't know which way was "on" and which way was "off." I could flick it back and forth, but no lights ever came on. So I haven't touched the switch or the light in many years, just totally forgetting about it. Last night I came home from work and the under-cabinet light was on! Now the damned thing works!

3. About 10 years ago, my last hamster died, and I had all this mixed-seed hamster/gerbil food left. I decided to put it out in my backyard shed in the winter, to feed the mice that are out there. I had the idea that if they had food out there, they would be less likely to try to get into my house. I poured the food into several little bowls (the bottoms of flower pots) out in the shed. I went out to check it a couple days later, and found that the seeds had been separated by type: all of one kind of seed was in one bowl, white seeds in that bowl, little brown seeds in another bowl, sunflower seeds in another bowl. It was like one of the mice had OCD and had to organize all the mixed-up seeds!

4. About 5-6 years ago my boyfriend and I were out in the back yard, looking at a dead bush we planned to have removed. There were squirrels up in a tree over us, chattering and making lots of angry noises, like they were angry we were in their zone. Something came flying down out of the tree and bounced off my boyfriend's head and landed on the ground. We looked at it, and it was a possum skull! Somehow, I guess, one of the squirrels had carried it up there and dropped it (or threw it?) onto him. To this day we still refer to the incident of the "scary flying possum skull."

The seed issue is strange.

The squirrels were not angry, they were laughing whilst tossing scull.

Dirt Grinder is correct, tree squirrels often use bone to shave down their incisors otherwise they will die. The incisors can grow into their brains if not taken care of. I've seen squirrels do this with bone and metal objects.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
I like this thread. I believe there are some things that happen that just seem damn weird and unexplainable at the time, but you know with your intelligent mind there must be some logical explanation.

I think most 'weird' things that happen have a logical explanation, but people inherently like stories and mysteries. It makes our mundane lives more interesting.

Although nothing unexplainable has ever happened to me, I have known people to have things happen that were just so out of the ordinary that it makes you go hmmmmm....

Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
That is awesome! We've had squirrels throw acorns at us quite frequently, but never the severed heads of their enemies. Sounds like you ran into Conan the Squirrel.

Quote:

Yup. I actually think most UFO sightings have non-paranormal explanations. We just don't know what they are.

I saw a UFO. I was watching what I first thought was an airliner from my front yard. It was at about the same altitude and moving at the same speed at which commercial jets fly over our area all the time. But I thought this was a little weird because it was leaving no contrail and was absolutely silent. I couldn't see any wings on it either, but I figured it was just due to the angle of the sun or something. But as I was watching, puzzling all this out, it made an INSTANT change in velocity. No banking. No turning. It was going one way, just like a jet, but then suddenly moved at a 50+ degree angle and accelerated so fast that it left the sky in less than a second. All without a sound.

So assuming it was indeed flying at around 600 mph (the average speed of a 747 at that altitude), it was able to make an instant change in direction, turned at an angle of 50 degrees or more, and accelerate to what must have been close to 3000 mph in less than a second. All without a sound.

I have no idea what man-made aircraft can do that.

All that said, I am still extremely skeptical about alien visitors. I saw a UFO, meaning I saw an unidentified flying object. I don't know what it was.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
My seam ripper disappeared a couple of months ago. Two day ago, my husband bent down and picked it up in the middle of the living room.

But. I have cats. Anything weird in my house, we blame the cats.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
I found this in my driveway one evening as I was leaving for work.
Attached Thumbnails
Unexplained but not paranormal-image.jpeg  

Old 03-16-2016, 02:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Quote:

#1, maybe your sister was moving the chair, even on the day you knew it couldn't have been her, she maybe found a way.

#2, if a light has never worked for years, suddenly started working, that would make my hair stand on end for a moment. I'm just like you as far as believing in paranormal things while remaining skeptical & discerning. Maybe you can have an electrician look at those lights & wiring.

#3, The seeds were sorted! That gave me the chills. Even if some person sneaked in there and sorted the seeds, that's creepy. And if a mouse did it, that mouse needs to be taken to a lab & studied. If the seeds paranormally sorted themselves or a ghost did it, spooky.

---------------------------------------------------------

I've had a few unexplainable things happen:

1) Lost my dorm key in the military, and after fasting & prayer the key showed up on the table next to me. The table was empty before that. (I attributed that to divine assistance at the time but nowadays since hardly anyone is religious, we'll chalk it up to unexplained phenomenon.)

2) When I was about 4 yrs old, and my brother was about 6, our teenage neighbor babysat us a few times. One night the 3 of us were sitting in our finished basement family room and suddenly the distinct shapes of 2 or 3 faces pressed into our curtains. I whimpered and held onto the babysitter, the babysitter laughed, and my brother as an adult no longer remembers the event. Probably a babysitter prank because she was laughing but I've wracked my brain all these years and could never figure out how she would've done it.

3) Same babysitter, same basement family room, different day, we had an electric massage wand laying on the floor. It was off and we were talking or playing a game. No one was near it. Suddenly the massager turned on and it was loud and vibrating around on the floor. It just seemed to turn on by itself.

4) 11 years old, living in a neighborhood near a farm & another neighborhood with undeveloped land between it all. As kids we'd cut across the undeveloped land to get to the other neighborhood. One day I walked through the field with my friends, passing all the familiar landmarks such as the motorcycle trail, and a large dirt mound where people would dispose of large trash like refrigerators, tires. Just a few minutes later for some reason I was alone as it was time to cross through the field again to go back home. As I passed that big dirt mound there was a man laying face down on it! He was wearing a red plaid flannel shirt & jeans & black hiking shoes. He didn't move a muscle or even seem to take a breath the whole time I watched him as I walked by, my heart beating fast. I never heard anything about him in the local news.

Last edited by Zelpha; 03-16-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Just one of many~ I was hiking through the forest by a river along a trail in sub freezing and a fresh couple inches of snow. There was a severed rabbits head right in the middle of the trail on top of the snow in the middle of nowhere and no tracks around.. must have been a bird dropped it? Tallysmom, my cat gets the blame for everything too. Everything. Out of milk, cats fault, dirty dishes, cats fault, etc. Very convenient.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Just one of many~ I was hiking through the forest by a river along a trail in sub freezing and a fresh couple inches of snow. There was a severed rabbits head right in the middle of the trail on top of the snow in the middle of nowhere and no tracks around.. must have been a bird dropped it? Tallysmom, my cat gets the blame for everything too. Everything. Out of milk, cats fault, dirty dishes, cats fault, etc. Very convenient.
Cats of all kinds eat the bones of their kills, if they are edible....so a skull is way too big and hard. Wouldn't surprise me if dogs of all kinds do that, too. While we are told not to give bones to our pets, it's more because cooked bones shatter and splinter, which can cause bad problems in intestines. Raw bones don't do that....but don't give your pets raw bones on my say so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal