Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:04 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times

Advertisements

Some people refuse to see what is right in front of their face while it is happening. This has been true throughout history. Nowadays so many people are just tuned out of their physical surroundings, staring at their phones or caught up in their own agendas. Many of the reports include apathetic/passive bystanders who just don't react to strange phenomena like flying orbs, cylinders, fireballs, zig zagging lights, black triangles, and the like. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Are humans smart enough and capable enough to slide this under the carpet to the rest of the world while studying it hands on?
Sure they are. Is it possible for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people to keep that secret for 70 years? Of that I am EXTREMELY skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Are ET's (or whatever) stupid enough to allow this coverup to happen, yet smart enough to actually get here in the first place?
That's assuming that ET's (or whatever) give a flying flip about us. The last time you went for a walk and strolled past an ant hill, did you stop for a conversation?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Some people refuse to see what is right in front of their face while it is happening. This has been true throughout history. Nowadays so many people are just tuned out of their physical surroundings, staring at their phones or caught up in their own agendas. Many of the reports include apathetic/passive bystanders who just don't react to strange phenomena like flying orbs, cylinders, fireballs, zig zagging lights, black triangles, and the like. Go figure.
We filter out information that doesn't make sense, or isn't relevant to the task immediately at hand. There was a candid camera episode many years ago where they put a magnet in a ketchup bottle and moved it around the table while the guy in the booth was eating. He would calmly reach out and put the bottle back in its place while it made the most extraordinary moves.

Then there's the invisible gorilla test:

'Invisible Gorilla' Test Shows How Little We Notice

It has nothing to do with refusing to see things, it's due to the mental mechanisms we've evolved to keep up from getting overwhelmed by extraneous data.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But the UFO Conspiracy crowd expect us to believe that hundreds (maybe thousands) of people --- from buck privates in the Air Force all the way up to the Presidency and beyond --- have managed to guard the greatest secret in human history without a single credible leak.

I just have a hard time buying that. I find it more likely that Nikolai Tesla invented a magnetic moon unicycle that he road to the moon and back.
While I agree with your post, you probably should know that there is no rank of "private" in the Air Force. The term for lower level air force personnel is "airman". Just letting you know so that you won't continue making that mistake.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
While I agree with your post, you probably should know that there is no rank of "private" in the Air Force. The term for lower level air force personnel is "airman". Just letting you know so that you won't continue making that mistake.
Duly noted. Many thanks.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Mark S
Quote:
Consider: The government has tried cover ups in the past. Watergate, Iran/Contra, illegal CIA Ops, the Manhattan Project, Ruby Ridge … take your pick. Dozens and dozens over the years. You know what every single one of them has in common? People talked. Sometimes just a few. Sometimes lots of people talked and talked and talked and talked. And in some of these operations, only a few dozen people were entrusted with the secrets. And they still leaked.
No, dont buy that. Plenty of well-kept secrets still. Loads of spy planes which only "appeared" after 20+ years.

The secrecy spreads across many areas from bigfoot to many other strange animals across the country (not only this country but other countries too). Many people have witnessed bigfoot or 'dogman' close-up, and the National Guard have investigated 411 disappearances in National Parks separately to the Park Rangers. There are lots of secrets and lots of good reasons why they have to be kept secret.

Quote:
When you look back at other nationwide crises of the past --- Pearl Harbor, WWII, 9/11, etc. --- did society rip itself apart? Mass panic? Riots in the streets? Cats and dogs living together?
None of these threatened the beliefs of the people, did they? None of these presented a far superior technology which could enslave the whole human population. It is NOT the UFOs which are the reason for secrecy but the alien existence and its possibly totally alien culture which may be far different to what we currently know and accept as 'normal'.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Plenty of well-kept secrets still. Loads of spy planes which only "appeared" after 20+ years.
And yet you know what we have for all those "top secret" spy planes? Conclusive proof they exist. If you have conclusive proof of aliens, I would dearly love to see it.

Quote:
The secrecy spreads across many areas from bigfoot to many other strange animals across the country (not only this country but other countries too). Many people have witnessed bigfoot or 'dogman' close-up, and the National Guard have investigated 411 disappearances in National Parks separately to the Park Rangers. There are lots of secrets and lots of good reasons why they have to be kept secret.
Such as ... ?

And do you have credible evidence to support this claim?

Quote:
None of these threatened the beliefs of the people, did they?
Which beliefs?

I think you are seriously underestimating your average citizen. The days of Puritans seeing witches in every shadow are long gone. If presented with proof of alien life, most people would say, "Cool. I knew it all along." And we would immediately begin trying to figure out how to sell them beer and shampoo on easy credit terms.

Quote:
None of these presented a far superior technology which could enslave the whole human population.
Nor do we have any credible evidence that there is any such alien technology. Besides, most modern countries are far too busy enslaving themselves to worry much about ET.

Quote:
It is NOT the UFOs which are the reason for secrecy but the alien existence and its possibly totally alien culture which may be far different to what we currently know and accept as 'normal'.
Where is your evidence for that?

Old 05-24-2016, 12:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
I think you are seriously underestimating your average citizen. The days of Puritans seeing witches in every shadow are long gone. If presented with proof of alien life, most people would say, "Cool. I knew it all along." And we would immediately begin trying to figure out how to sell them beer and shampoo on easy credit terms.
I think you're absolutely right. The only people who would be shaken to the core by the revelation that there are superior aliens out there are religious fundamentalists (whatever the stripe), and they'd deny its reality -- just as they still do with Darwinism.

An encounter with modern technology does not automatically destabilize a "more primitive" culture:

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~vlib...athfinder.html

What's destabilizing are things like forced assimilation, disease, and economic inequalities. A society that's tens of thousands of years beyond us and has survived multiple Great Filters will know about these things, and if they do come in peace will be inclined to avoid introducing problems like these into our culture because of their own past experiences with them.

The only danger would be from a predatory alien culture that destroys what it encounters for its own survival benefit (Hawking's fear), or for some strange and overriding philosophical or religious reason (interstellar jihad). Sorry, I'm at an age where I find it difficult spending a lot of time worrying about things like that.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced of that either. Simply because history teaches against it.

When you look back at other nationwide crises of the past --- Pearl Harbor, WWII, 9/11, etc. --- did society rip itself apart? Mass panic? Riots in the streets? Cats and dogs living together?

No. People came together like never before. There were exceptions to the rule, sure but they were the minority.

If the truth about UFOs ever does come out, I suspect there will be small groups of koo-koos who over react. But most people will go about their lives, adapt, and move on.
Much different imo, all those things involved other nations, other human beings, aliens, UFOs are something we are not sure what they are, just admitting something exists and is able to fly around in our skies, that we do not fully understand what they are, would be enough to send the world into a panic.

It would make people realize we are likely lower on the totem pole that previously thought.

I believe there was a statement made to this effect in the past, as to why this information was not made public, (fears it would cause mass panic), I will try to find who said that, I think it was back in the 60s or 70s.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
... just admitting something exists and is able to fly around in our skies, that we do not fully understand what they are, would be enough to send the world into a panic.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It would make people realize we are likely lower on the totem pole that previously thought.
And who thinks that exactly? Science? No. The world's major religions? No again. All teach that human beings are not on the upper end of things in the cosmos. Should evidence of alien civilizations come to light, science and religion will certainly start asking where they fit in. But very few people will have their worldview shaken irreparably.

Certain fundamentalist sects (both in science and religion) may freak out. But there are two very important and related things to keep in mind there: One, Fundamentalists represent an extreme minority in both science and religion. They're just very loud so they seem larger than they are. And two, these are the same people who freak out about evolution and quantum physics and the Teletubbies. The world survived. Don't spent too much time worrying about their latest freak out. Just smile and go about your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal