Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:08 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

I've been researching this stuff for 3 years now--afterlife, NDE's, deathbed visions, spirits, OBE's, ghost boxes--the whole nine yards and I've yet to come across a piece of evidence that is 100% reliable. Is there any?

Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've been researching this stuff for 3 years now--afterlife, NDE's, deathbed visions, spirits, OBE's, ghost boxes--the whole nine yards and I've yet to come across a piece of evidence that is 100% reliable. Is there any?
How could it be? What do you require, an act of God? I think NDE stories of people who float up to the ceiling and recall seeing objects from that vantage point that aren't visible from an operating table or hospital bed is pretty good evidence that something unusual is going on. Or people who float up from the operating table and leave the room, and hear nurses down the hall discussing the case. That sort of thing is the best we have to go on for now. Or the rare cases of people who were so maimed and broken up in accidents or bomb explosions (war) that they were expected to have to go through life as disfigured invalids, but somehow miraculously everything healed and they came through it looking like nothing had happened. (See the case of Natalie Sudman, among others.) There are some very unusual cases. But...whatever. There's never going to be concrete proof, that somebody won't try to explain away.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
100% reliabilities an unrealistic expectation.

Sarah Estep can be be googled, she had amazing, consistant EVP ( voice box ) evidence.

How do you go about validating someones NDE or deathbed vision...you can't.

Rhine Center at Duke University has one of most extensive parapsychology librarys in the country.
I'd love to get in their and do some research.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Re NDE's what puzzles me about them is how some float to the top of the ceiling, then go down the hospital hall and see loved ones grieving, then go out the door and fly around some more to nearby locations, like George Ritchie who flew some 500 miles across Texas to Louisiana and stopped in a small town in front of a diner. He says has he stood on the sidewalk asking people who walked by where he was and they ignored him, obviously because they couldn't see him. It was when he put his hand through a telephone anchor wire that he realized something was amiss.

But then there are others who say they immediately go flying down a dark tunnel with the characteristic light at the end.

So why does one hang around while another goes down the tunnel? Some don't even experience a tunnel; they walk through a door into a beautiful garden. There are countless other versions of this sequence. It's no wonder skeptics say it's all just a dying brain triggering hallucinations because each person has a totally different version. If this is all controlled by God why is He giving each person a completely different way of getting to the afterlife? Why does He allow some souls to hang around earth forever as earthbound spirits and others He immediately sucks into the vortex?

I'm trying to find some coherence to all of this and I cannot find a single common pattern. It all seems so haphazard.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
NONE!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:10 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,215 times
You're not going to find the 100 percent evidence you seek, but trust, one day you will find out for yourself.

I believe in an afterlife, and I've done a great deal of research into NDEs, out-of-body experiences, shared death experiences and more. I have also experienced several inexplicable occurrences in my own life, including oddities after someone close died (lots of mysteriously appearing dimes and pennies, messages conveyed through song, unusual animal behavior, scents and smells, sensations); I've also been able to record EVPs from "places with a past."

Those who believe in an afterlife have, I think, have either had an immaterial experience themselves, and / or are pretty firm in their faith. Neither have a scientific prescription.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Re NDE's what puzzles me about them is how some float to the top of the ceiling, then go down the hospital hall and see loved ones grieving, then go out the door and fly around some more to nearby locations, like George Ritchie who flew some 500 miles across Texas to Louisiana and stopped in a small town in front of a diner. He says has he stood on the sidewalk asking people who walked by where he was and they ignored him, obviously because they couldn't see him. It was when he put his hand through a telephone anchor wire that he realized something was amiss.

But then there are others who say they immediately go flying down a dark tunnel with the characteristic light at the end.

So why does one hang around while another goes down the tunnel? Some don't even experience a tunnel; they walk through a door into a beautiful garden. There are countless other versions of this sequence. It's no wonder skeptics say it's all just a dying brain triggering hallucinations because each person has a totally different version. If this is all controlled by God why is He giving each person a completely different way of getting to the afterlife? Why does He allow some souls to hang around earth forever as earthbound spirits and others He immediately sucks into the vortex?

I'm trying to find some coherence to all of this and I cannot find a single common pattern. It all seems so haphazard.
I'll look up the George Ritchie case, thanks. I enjoy these stories.

My understanding, after reading/hearing a lot of these stories (if you haven't discovered "Afterlife TV" on youtube, which hosts interviews with NDE survivors, check it out), is that most of what you mention is all part of the overall pattern or "journey" that happens after death, but some people get called (or sent) back before they reach the next stage. For example, some may see the tunnel in the distance, but they're not given enough time to go through it. Also, some people hang around the everyday earthly plane longer due to emotional attachment of one sort or another; they may be reluctant to leave loved ones, or like the guy who flew across TX to Louisiana, he didn't know yet that he was dead.

And people may have the "heavenly garden" experience, then after a time, they'll see the tunnel, and will gravitate towards it. After you've studied enough of these cases, you'll see there is an over-arching narrative. Not everyone experiences every stage of that journey, though; their experience gets cut short. This is probably why you have the impression that there's no consistent theme, no coherent "process" everyone goes through. But the separate elements one or another person experiences all add up to a characteristic whole.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
My uncle is my evidence...comes to me a couple times a year...
usually saving me from some issue....thanks, my buddy of life times.

He saved me today from a BIG mistake...by infusing my mind with
something NOT to do. Whew!

There is a big difference between, imagination, your own thoughts or being
given sudden insight and warnings...by angels, your guide or a friend 'over there'.

That's 'my' evidence. (I have way more, of course...LOL)

Old 10-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'll look up the George Ritchie case, thanks. I enjoy these stories.

My understanding, after reading/hearing a lot of these stories (if you haven't discovered "Afterlife TV" on youtube, which hosts interviews with NDE survivors, check it out), is that most of what you mention is all part of the overall pattern or "journey" that happens after death, but some people get called (or sent) back before they reach the next stage. For example, some may see the tunnel in the distance, but they're not given enough time to go through it. Also, some people hang around the everyday earthly plane longer due to emotional attachment of one sort or another; they may be reluctant to leave loved ones, or like the guy who flew across TX to Louisiana, he didn't know yet that he was dead.

And people may have the "heavenly garden" experience, then after a time, they'll see the tunnel, and will gravitate towards it. After you've studied enough of these cases, you'll see there is an over-arching narrative. Not everyone experiences every stage of that journey, though; their experience gets cut short. This is probably why you have the impression that there's no consistent theme, no coherent "process" everyone goes through. But the separate elements one or another person experiences all add up to a characteristic whole.
This is probably the best video done to explain his story--the story that inspired Raymond Moody, his student, to write Life After Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruKjIrejDCk

Quote:
For example, some may see the tunnel in the distance, but they're not given enough time to go through it.
See, this is the part that confuses me: someone is orchestrating all this from above I would guess. I mean I wouldn't have had that horrible accident that squashed me like a pancake unless it was ordained to happen from above and all that, right? So why does everybody in an NDE get told, "You have to go back. It's not your time" cuz I'm like saying, "Well, if it's not my time then why in the frack did you call me up here in the first place, Helllllo?!"

This is the stuff that doesn't make a bit of sense to me and unlike many here I've had hundreds of family members (14 brothers/sisters, a hundred kids and grand kids on mom's side and 6 brothers/sisters, kids, grand kids on father's side) all die and nobody--not a single one has given me even so much as a simple blowing in my ear that they were here, I'm that unpopular I guess. Enough to give a person a serious personality disorder, I mean a horrible case of rejection.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-04-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My uncle is my evidence...comes to me a couple times a year...
usually saving me from some issue....thanks, my buddy of life times.

He saved me today from a BIG mistake...by infusing my mind with
something NOT to do. Whew!

There is a big difference between, imagination, your own thoughts or being
given sudden insight and warnings...by angels, your guide or a friend 'over there'.

That's 'my' evidence. (I have way more, of course...LOL)
This reminds me of my friend who all her life was very dismissive of this sort of thing, and believed that people who were open to it were flaky, until her mother died. Then she started seeing her mother around the house from time to time. (I've posted about this on an earlier thread.) When she finally got up the nerve to ask her far-flung siblings if they'd noticed anything unusual since Mom had died, they had all seen her multiple times.

So, OP, the only kind of confirmation one can have, barring the heavens or seas parting, and God speaking in a booming voice, is this type of highly individual anecdotal evidence. In other words, any "proof" of that nature would only be witnessable and believable to you, so it doesn't work for trying to convince others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal