Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times

Advertisements

How for women one size can fit all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
When I was about 5 years old, I used to hear someone talking to me at night after everyone had gone to bed. It never scared me but I told mom about it and she said it was God. But she didn't seem to believe me. The voice was soft and mellow but the gender was ambiguous. It would ask me questions about my day and how things are going.

As I got older, never heard from it again and I forgot about it until about five years ago. Looking back on that now, the voice thing is strange.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Loch Ness, Area 51 and the Holy grail ...

Great mysteries but can't help but think it's all bollox especially the first and third one

Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Who built Gobekli Tepe 12,000 years ago, what did they believe, what were their lives like, and why did they bury it 4,000 years later?

And while we're at it, why is there something rather than nothing?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Why Mountain Monsters always found Bigfoot, and Finding Bigfoot never did......

Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Why Mountain Monsters always found Bigfoot, and Finding Bigfoot never did......
Mountain Monsters, which I suspect jumped the shark 10 minutes into its first episode, has apparently descended into the realm of the ludicrous and the never-before-seen just plain awful. Never watched it before -- I prefer to enjoy my hillbillies and cryptids separately. I watched a couple of episodes recently since I now have Playstation Vue, and they seem to be operating at a level of stupidity and childishness that makes episodes of Scooby Doo look like serious scientific inquiry. There are some horrible paranormal shows out there, Mountain Monsters is a genuine stinker -- neither interesting, nor chill inducing, nor amusing. At least Matt Moneymaker is fun to laugh at.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM

331 posts, read 315,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Who built Gobekli Tepe 12,000 years ago, what did they believe, what were their lives like, and why did they bury it 4,000 years later?

And while we're at it, why is there something rather than nothing?
I don't know if Gobekli Tepe would make my list of greatest mysteries, but it's certainly a puzzle - even the puzzle of why they carefully buried the pillars in rubble to preserve them. I have been reading a lot about it, starting with Graham Hancock's latest book. (My brush with celebrity: I once had a brief chat with Hancock while we were both using urinals at a restroom in Sedona!) As mavericky as Hancock may be, I do think his comet impact theories have merit.

Me: I did have a classic UFO encounter in 1971, a small daylight disk that paced my car at a range of no more than 60 yards. An arch-skeptic who was riding with me saw it as well. There was a "psychic" aspect that is not uncommon but that did convince me this was not some piece of military hardware. I've had other anomalous experiences that were more complex and meaningful, but this stands out just because I've had an intense interest in UFOs since I was 8 years old.

But my wife and I were agreeing yesterday that the greatest mysteries are indeed "life" and "death" - what actually are they in their essence, what actually is the difference (if any) between them, and how flawed will our current understanding prove to be if and when we know the truth?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
At least Matt Moneymaker is fun to laugh at.
Then you would LOVE Mountain Monsters, well maybe not this last season, but the others are just hilarious!

Old 06-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
I don't know if Gobekli Tepe would make my list of greatest mysteries, but it's certainly a puzzle - even the puzzle of why they carefully buried the pillars in rubble to preserve them. I have been reading a lot about it, starting with Graham Hancock's latest book. (My brush with celebrity: I once had a brief chat with Hancock while we were both using urinals at a restroom in Sedona!) As mavericky as Hancock may be, I do think his comet impact theories have merit.
I didn't know Hancock had a book out that discussed Gobekli Tepe, will have to check it out. I've enjoyed reading some of his past efforts (especially the Ark of the Covenant one).

Mystery vs puzzle? If we don't ever find the information to unravel the puzzle (a real possibility given its antiquity -- but there are sites in Turkey that may be from the same culture so maybe it's not completely hopeless), it probably qualifies as a mystery, I'd say.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
The Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis and how without moving an inch I can still loose
my remote control twice a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal