Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:27 AM

6,908 posts, read 6,818,560 times

Advertisements

Not as large as a man-bat but still with 10ft wingspan, 18 months ago.

Large bird/bat sighting continue in the Chicago region (60 miles)

Quote:
At exactly 4:36 am CT (Sunday January 28, 2018 local time) I was sitting on my step and I, of course, was looking up at the sky, when suddenly my eyes were immediately drawn to what appeared to be a weird hybrid mix of an owl and a bat. To me the size was approximately that of a large raccoon...I even would go as far as saying it was a bit larger. For some reason, I was frozen solid with my eyes locked on this thing. I found it weird that even with how dark it was outside it seemed close enough for me to notice details of it to the point of realizing that it appeared brownish/greyish in color and the wings had a bat like feel to them.
So, there is a possibility that these are not hoaxes as they continue to be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 07:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 768,041 times
Lived in Chicago for 49 years and never even heard of this. This city has enough issues so its a shame people feel the need to create more

Last edited by prhill; 07-06-2019 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Lived in Chicago for 49 years and never even heard of this. This city has enough issues so its a shame people feel the need to create more
The Great Horned Owl lives in ILL and does have many of the features of a "man-bat": great horned owl. If you look at one perched, at just the right angle, it could fit the bill (except for the size).

Of course the size is always relative. When I was young and was walking in a field that had many young pine trees; I had a vulture pass just feet over my head. The sun was just right where I saw a huge shadow split seconds before it surprised me. I forget if the 1961 film 'Mothra' had come out (I think my sighting was before the movie). Between the shadow and the close proximity of the vulture and the wind from it's wings; I thought it could be the end of the world or a great wall mount! Distance is sometimes hard to determine when you only have one perspective. But these large birds like the Horned Owl and Vultures can really look big up close.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 768,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The Great Horned Owl lives in ILL and does have many of the features of a "man-bat": great horned owl. If you look at one perched, at just the right angle, it could fit the bill (except for the size).

Of course the size is always relative. When I was young and was walking in a field that had many young pine trees; I had a vulture pass just feet over my head. The sun was just right where I saw a huge shadow split seconds before it surprised me. I forget if the 1961 film 'Mothra' had come out (I think my sighting was before the movie). Between the shadow and the close proximity of the vulture and the wind from it's wings; I thought it could be the end of the world or a great wall mount! Distance is sometimes hard to determine when you only have one perspective. But these large birds like the Horned Owl and Vultures can really look big up close.
Nature is incredible and magnificent no doubt.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:49 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Not as large as a man-bat but still with 10ft wingspan, 18 months ago.

Large bird/bat sighting continue in the Chicago region (60 miles)

So, there is a possibility that these are not hoaxes as they continue to be reported.
Well... yesterday I had to go shopping, and while out, at a stop light, I swore I saw a little creature running between the tires of the cars.

It startled me out of my thoughts, and I immediately saw it was an odd tire rim as it rolled.

They may be seeing something and mistaking it, but sadly, Bat Boy died with the Weekly World News.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 PM

6,908 posts, read 6,818,560 times
Both of you had a scare and then realised it was something normal so you did not report it as something abnormal. Thats what normal people do with normal occurrances in life. So, Yes, there will be people seeking attention. Yes, there will be drama-queens who embellish a story to make it more dramatic - for whatever reason. And..there will always be people who want to see something so much they 'see' it at every turn.

However, this area has had a spate of a few strange things happening which could be more than just drama-queens, attention-seekers, and mistaken identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal