Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

I am very skeptical regarding things of this sort, and wonder about this guy:

https://mooji.org

He has a lot of videos on YouTube. Anybody know about him?

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=mooji&sm=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
What? Again, I'm hearing about Mooji.
He was a devotee of Papaji, a great guy...same as Gangaji.
I have it from a reliable source he is a great guy, great message.

He does not grab me as a speaker, tho...I never listen long enough to see
that he is, as said, funny and relatable.

Ganga ji is great also ...but can put you to sleep.

Added: See if we had an Eastern section this would be there, darn it.
The Powers that Be think Buddhism covers it all...and it doesn't.

ps: As far as being skeptical...you don't have to be, because you can try whatever it is
these Eastern teachers say...and see for yourself if 'it' works...whatever it is.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-09-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM

I have a friend from India, a scientist, who says that gerus of this sort have plagued India for millennia**, and denies validity to any of it, preferring Bertrand Russell -style freethinking. I tend to agree, but it's also hard to deny that the universe is a mysterious place.

He (Mooji) is earning a living doing this. I guess people have to earn a living somehow. But the reverence people have for him concerns me. And also that it sounds like a lot of nonsense. Soothing nonsense, to be sure. And it gives one what may be a very false hope of immortality, that the universe makes some kind of sense, or that there's some surcease of pain.

** Mooji is from Jamaica, but studied in India.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
From a quick read of a couple of pages on the website, he seems to be asking people to wake up from the sleep of media, education, culture, and religious conditioning we are all under. This conditioning puts limits on us and releasing those will be liberating.

As with all these things, they often seem to use language which is difficult to understand unless you are of a certain place in spiritual evolution. This is nothing new, scholars have been arguing over the passages in the Bible for years.

For example if you do not believe there is more to us than our physical body, then most of what is talked about will not make any sense so of course it will be gobledegook.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 PM

What he says does seem to make sense to me. Conversely, one way of perceiving his talks are that they are his work product. A shtick he designed, over time. That is the negative view, of course. I'm just not a true believer. Too much Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Bertrand Russell, Christopher Hitchens. Actually, Harris might be in favor.

At any rate, not really my area of expertise.

>>For example if you do not believe there is more to us than our physical body, then most of what is talked about will not make any sense so of course it will be gobledegook.

You're right; that is the heart of the matter. I'm unconvinced, either way. But listening to him, he's very persuasive, and it feels good, to think there is "something more." But just because something feels good, doesn't make it true. Maybe the "feels good" is how an effective con artist hooks you?

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 10-09-2017 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
All I know any more is that most gurus and lama's pick out disciples to sleep with, children or adults. Many use hypnosis. I have been in these groups and learned too much. They are also charismatic, when attracks people to them.
Downthecrookedpath is a good blog for this kind of info. as well.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 AM

I like Thich Nhat Hanh more. Vietnamese Zen Buddhist with monasteries in France and the US, nominated by Dr. King for the Nobel Prize. Probably instrumental in Dr. King opposing the war in Viet Nam (according to an Oprah OWN interview with Thich Nhat Hanh).

The monastery in Mississippi doesn't accept monks and nuns in training over the age of 50, however. But that's understandable.

What he says makes a lot more sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal