Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:54 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do better with glass for target practice! Unfortunately I would now be required to pick up every piece! It isn't like half a century ago where nobody worried about it!

There is no way to set the lens grinding as a mechanized operation? I would have to use my screw gun; I don't work without a screw gun anymore!

As far as technology changing overnight (then next comment); we are headed in that direction. As the computer singularity happens we will relegate more and more responsibility to our silicone friends (hopefully friends). Their solutions could happen almost as fast as the speed of light. That would be especially true if they have the tools to build as well as think. Of course we might become irrelevant? Perhaps, if there are aliens, they would shut us down before the computers take control?
Sure, that's done in a lens manufacturing facility ("How It's Made" had a segment on making eyeglass lenses at one time) but people don't have such equipment at home. Teen science junkies don't mind doing things like hand-grinding lenses, if they're motivated.

I'm watching the new "Mythbusters Jr" program on Science at the moment. It's quite good ... those kids are sharp (one is a 12-year old sophomore in college, majoring in astrophysics). This series might make it since Adam is back. The one they tried with the other two guys last year just wasn't the same. It's be nice if Jamie was back with his deadpan humor, but I suppose he just got tired of doing the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Interesting grinding machine! I did go to eBay and checked out the prices on blanks. I think I will pass on that considering my experience with glass. Hopefully I will not miss any of those silent UFOs scooting around.
For observations of objects like the moon, planets, galaxies Dobsonian reflectors are affordable and get the job done. You can get an Orion 8944 SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian (6" mirror) for around $270(USD) on Amazon. A 6'" refractor would run you into the thousands of dollars, and would not be very portable. For viewing larger swatches of the night sky at lower power (like chunks of the Milky way, large nebulae, comets, etc) you can get wide field eyepieces for the Dobsonian that will do the job; Orion makes the 8829 available on Amazon for around $100(USD). A wide field eyepiece is also useful for tracking moving objects like your basic UFO.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sure, that's done in a lens manufacturing facility ("How It's Made" had a segment on making eyeglass lenses at one time) but people don't have such equipment at home. Teen science junkies don't mind doing things like hand-grinding lenses, if they're motivated.

I'm watching the new "Mythbusters Jr" program on Science at the moment. It's quite good ... those kids are sharp (one is a 12-year old sophomore in college, majoring in astrophysics). This series might make it since Adam is back. The one they tried with the other two guys last year just wasn't the same. It's be nice if Jamie was back with his deadpan humor, but I suppose he just got tired of doing the show.
I have not seen the new Mythbusters Jr; I'll have to check it out. I did like the old series. I haven't been watching too much TV lately. My feeling is that Ted Turner hurt many of the channels when he bought up so many of the movies. I hate watching repeats and that is all you see on the lower channels; not that the premium stations are a lot better.

As far as telescopes; I do have a refractor. But, instead of looking to the heavens for aliens; I bought a backhoe to explore the inner Earth. After I finally get it back from the shop; I'll let you know if I see if Mr. Grey is hiding in my back yard!

When we first bought our property 40 years ago we had a 20 foot circular patch where nothing grew for about thirty years; it now looks the same as the rest of the property. I have guessed that it was a spot the old property owners used to burn brush; but I did not see any charcoal. I don't have any plans for that particular area; but it might be interesting to see if there is anything under the ground? This Spring I will be taking down a lot of trees when I have a chance and then I will be replanting and maybe I'll try a tree in that location? I'll let you know if I step on any little grey toes by accident. Maybe I'll find some scrap to sell?

Old 01-03-2019, 07:30 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
I have not seen the new Mythbusters Jr; I'll have to check it out. I did like the old series. I haven't been watching too much TV lately. My feeling is that Ted Turner hurt many of the channels when he bought up so many of the movies. I hate watching repeats and that is all you see on the lower channels; not that the premium stations are a lot better.

As far as telescopes; I do have a refractor. But, instead of looking to the heavens for aliens; I bought a backhoe to explore the inner Earth. After I finally get it back from the shop; I'll let you know if I see if Mr. Grey is hiding in my back yard!

When we first bought our property 40 years ago we had a 20 foot circular patch where nothing grew for about thirty years; it now looks the same as the rest of the property. I have guessed that it was a spot the old property owners used to burn brush; but I did not see any charcoal. I don't have any plans for that particular area; but it might be interesting to see if there is anything under the ground? This Spring I will be taking down a lot of trees when I have a chance and then I will be replanting and maybe I'll try a tree in that location? I'll let you know if I step on any little grey toes by accident. Maybe I'll find some scrap to sell?
Hmm -- your circular area reminds me of the supposed UFO that landed in Delphos, Kansas some years ago. It seems that it left a somewhat circular area that would not grow vegetation for years afterward, maybe even to this day. Be careful!

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sh...delphos-kansas

Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Notice that in the drawings of the day of airships, they had propellers. That was pretty much the technology of the time, and the average person could think of nothing more advanced. A jet or rocket engine was not even in the realm of imagination. Now, we have to have "invisible" propulsion and anti-gravity because that's what we dream of due mostly to science fiction.

The subject is interesting and intriguing, and I love programming and books about UFOs and future (or impossible) technology. I like to watch Ancient Aliens and there really are a lot of unexplainable things out there. But I don't think we are or ever have been visited by other civilizations.
I recently caught a few episodes, some of the things they say like the identical pyramids in different parts of the world at the same time surely make you wonder how they figured out how to build them at the same time and they use the same things like what they have on top.

Ancient Aliens show page

I personally don't know what to think. When I was younger my friends and I saw something that I still wonder what it was. Wish I could remember specifics but I don't recall it making any noise at all. It was faster then anything we had back in the 70's

Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Can you imagine the situation where technology changes overnight? Where this new technology is announced and then what?

People will demand this new technology in their civilian aircraft, in their cars, in their daily life.

ALL of the training will be obsolete. Cars, planes, everything will be outdated everyone will be scrambling to get training for the new technology so it can be used, so the folks who have that training can take advantage of the job openings.

Imagine airports, stations, garages ALL have to be redesigned, rebuilt to accommodate the new technology. If cars suddenly start to levitate and move at 50 feet above the ground, then it will be chaos to allow this to happen without regulations - everyone going everywhere in every direction.

And that is not considering the people who have made their fortunes in oil who do not want a new power source.

No, if you are running a country, I think it is easier and less complicated to leave this technology well alone.
Yep, that is why they control and suppress technology when necessary.

Its interesting that the Invention Secrecy Act was created in 1951.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 PM

155 posts, read 125,936 times
Quote:
Remember the Lonnie Mazora incident in New Mexico? His attention was directed to the site by a booming noise ... when the egg-shaped UFO allegedly landed. And it took off in the same manner with much noise.

Nowadays UFOs don't make noise ... they just defy the laws of physics for an object with mass.

Strange how things change, isn't it?
The "UFO" he saw also knocked out his radio, but it appears described as some kind of man-made craft. Roswell COULD HAVE been extra-terrestrials; about equal as much seems like it was Mexicans, or small Asians.

It is afterwards that color TV, electronics, etc began to proliferate... Theories abound.

There are a LOT... a LOT a lot of craft and observances NOT OF THIS EARTH (Rendlesham Forest) and the topic remains taboo. Those abducted, and with "implants" they know not where it came from, and those with Missing Time... Don't believe it is advanced military, doing all these things.

Yes, there are top-secret craft but they still somewhat are burdened by physics, these aliens seem to make their craft move as light does. Anti-mass technology. Probably gleaned from the surrounding oxygen in the atmosphere...

Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi
Yes, there are top-secret craft but they still somewhat are burdened by physics, these aliens seem to make their craft move as light does. Anti-mass technology.
No-one says they have to use paranormal means, or that sticking to physics is a burden. However, we have to recognise that mainstream physics and science advances very slowly (kicking and screaming in the process) so there are probably laws of physics which have been discovered in the underground labs and hangars which normal scientists in universities and surface companies dont know anything about.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
No-one says they have to use paranormal means, or that sticking to physics is a burden. However, we have to recognise that mainstream physics and science advances very slowly (kicking and screaming in the process) so there are probably laws of physics which have been discovered in the underground labs and hangars which normal scientists in universities and surface companies dont know anything about.
Here you go: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46811618. Repeated signals verified by two different telescopes. Maybe their ships are silent; but their civilizations might be waking up? On the other hand they could be very noisy since what we just verified happened 1,500,000,000 years ago.

On the other hand there is always a chance the detected signals could have a natural cause?

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
I witnessed a craft at night, overhead outside Scottsdale, AZ. It appeared as if coming "out' of a misty cloud. The physics were obviously off. Not only did it move across the sky without a sound, it actually 'created' silence, it 'cancelled noise'. Everything was still and quiet, until it moved out of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal