Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,233,462 times

Advertisements

I’ve been wanting to start this thread for a while. There are so many hoaxes and easily debunked claims about allegedly unexplained phenomena. But there is a lot of good evidence out there as well. I would like this thread to be about the “best of the best” evidence, of any unexplained phenomenon. Take your pick, just tell us why it’s the best. And please, show us the evidence via videos, photos, etc.

As an overall (but not categorical) skeptic myself, I would appreciate skeptics’ feedback too. Hypothetically speaking, what theory of an unexplained mystery would you put your bet on as the most likely to be true? I understand this requires some suspension of disbelief, but let’s play pretend. What is/was the hardest to debunk?

I’ll start. The Patterson-Gimlin footage. Shot in 1967, it appears to depict a female bipedal primate walking through the woods of Northern California. It’s probably one of the most heavily scrutinized pieces of evidence in recent history, and I’ve yet to see a debunk that passes the laugh test. To me, this footage remains unexplained, and it remains the most compelling evidence for the Sasquatch theories.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSWr9C_gn40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,256,580 times
Why they told back in 1967 was a lie. They shot 5-6 creatures that day. Do some searching for MK Davis you tube videos and you will shocked.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,180,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’ve been wanting to start this thread for a while. There are so many hoaxes and easily debunked claims about allegedly unexplained phenomena. But there is a lot of good evidence out there as well. I would like this thread to be about the “best of the best” evidence, of any unexplained phenomenon. Take your pick, just tell us why it’s the best. And please, show us the evidence via videos, photos, etc.

As an overall (but not categorical) skeptic myself, I would appreciate skeptics’ feedback too. Hypothetically speaking, what theory of an unexplained mystery would you put your bet on as the most likely to be true? I understand this requires some suspension of disbelief, but let’s play pretend. What is/was the hardest to debunk?

I’ll start. The Patterson-Gimlin footage. Shot in 1967, it appears to depict a female bipedal primate walking through the woods of Northern California. It’s probably one of the most heavily scrutinized pieces of evidence in recent history, and I’ve yet to see a debunk that passes the laugh test. To me, this footage remains unexplained, and it remains the most compelling evidence for the Sasquatch theories.
Jump to "Hoax Allegations" in this Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patter...ax_allegations. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence to at least raise an eyebrow.

Furthermore, all of those that claim it's real overlook how the use of cameras and better technology has grown exponentially since this Holly Grail of a film - there is no place left for BF to hide!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,256,580 times
A very good compilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atvS_K0oig

Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,637,187 times
What I find curious and interesting (ive mentioned this in other threads too), considering it is 2019 and computer technology is always progressing...so where are all the super convincing pics and videos, those that are even capable of deceiving the experts?

By rights, there should be ALOT out there in circulation.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:03 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Moderating speaking... WAIT!! This is not going to be another Bigfoot fight. Stop stop stop.

The main question at hand is — what evidence ABOUT ANYTHING PARANORMAL, do you consider to be incontrovertible proof.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,180,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Moderating speaking... WAIT!! This is not going to be another Bigfoot fight. Stop stop stop.

The main question at hand is — what evidence ABOUT ANYTHING PARANORMAL, do you consider to be incontrovertible proof.
The OP asked the question: "I’ve yet to see a debunk that passes the laugh test" and Wikipedia has many plausible explanations or possible answers to why the film could be a fake.

Then we have the believer that tosses in a collage video that contains many small excerpts that on their own could be fake; but we would have to look at each one carefully.

I am well aware that this is a slippery slope. I am also aware that you have enjoyed some peace and quite after one recent crackdown. So set the rules; give us guidance.

I am very interested in anything paranormal; I just don't want it biased on hearsay or false conclusions. We also need to have some way to weed out those that make money from false allegations - just like we try to keep relators off the forum.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The OP asked the question: "I’ve yet to see a debunk that passes the laugh test" and Wikipedia has many plausible explanations or possible answers to why the film could be a fake.

Then we have the believer that tosses in a collage video that contains many small excerpts that on their own could be fake; but we would have to look at each one carefully.

I am well aware that this is a slippery slope. I am also aware that you have enjoyed some peace and quite after one recent crackdown. So set the rules; give us guidance.

I am very interested in anything paranormal; I just don't want it biased on hearsay or false conclusions. We also need to have some way to weed out those that make money from false allegations - just like we try to keep relators off the forum.
Thanks, I did need that bit of peace after hubby’s seizure and my having to go back to work. When you read this say work like Maynard G. Krebs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJxwgNqgobM

The big rule is to stay on topic. And the topic isn’t Bigfoot.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:44 PM

13,029 posts, read 9,568,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I always think of bigfoot and UFOs as falling under the "Unexplained Mysteries" part of this forum's title, not the Paranormal. I save that part for ghosts, etc. Right or wrong, that's how I see it.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The only bullet-proof evidence for me are my own personal experiences... problem is, they don't mean jack squat to anyone else.

There is truth to the old phrase "you have to see it to believe it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal