Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

I read about this case tonight, at first, it sounds like this all was hoaxed, but when the testing of the grass samples come back, taken from the area where this happened, it quickly turns into something else...

https://www.history.com/news/ufo-enc...tmaster-burned

To this day, this aspect of the case is still unexplained, they only found one way they could duplicate what happened to the grass at the site (expose the entire area to 300+ degree heat), Im not sure how the scoutmaster could have hoaxed such a thing in 1952, heck, I doubt anyone could do that today even!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 06:03 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
This case was the subject of an episode of "Project Blue Book", a series on the History Channel that will begin its second season in January. Season 1 was, and presumably still is, on History's On-Demand archive, and I understand can be purchased on DVD. It's a quite interesting series for UFO buffs.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I read about this case tonight, at first, it sounds like this all was hoaxed, but when the testing of the grass samples come back, taken from the area where this happened, it quickly turns into something else...

https://www.history.com/news/ufo-enc...tmaster-burned

To this day, this aspect of the case is still unexplained, they only found one way they could duplicate what happened to the grass at the site (expose the entire area to 300+ degree heat), Im not sure how the scoutmaster could have hoaxed such a thing in 1952, heck, I doubt anyone could do that today even!
It reminds me of the stories provided by the Navajo Rangers, on the youtube video posted here some months ago. They called people to examine the soil, and other physical evidence.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It reminds me of the stories provided by the Navajo Rangers, on the youtube video posted here some months ago. They called people to examine the soil, and other physical evidence.
The original link also states: "As the grass specimens were being tested, DesVergers’ character would come under intense scrutiny, with authorities noting his other-than-honorable discharge from the U.S. Marines due to theft of a car, and what Florida locals would describe as his ability to tell tall tales."

To me it sounds like methane was ignited. Was DesVergers a smoker? He described a smell in the swamp; which could have been swamp gas.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The original link also states: "As the grass specimens were being tested, DesVergers’ character would come under intense scrutiny, with authorities noting his other-than-honorable discharge from the U.S. Marines due to theft of a car, and what Florida locals would describe as his ability to tell tall tales."

To me it sounds like methane was ignited. Was DesVergers a smoker? He described a smell in the swamp; which could have been swamp gas.
This was in FL, and in the summer, probably way too much humidity in the air for methane to literally catch fire.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
This was in FL, and in the summer, probably way too much humidity in the air for methane to literally catch fire.
Humidity has nothing to do with whether or not methane will burn. As it is it bubbles up out the swamps and from under our oceans; I am almost positive that a cloud of it could be ignited even in a heavy rain storm. But, any scientist our there, are free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Humidity has nothing to do with whether or not methane will burn. As it is it bubbles up out the swamps and from under our oceans; I am almost positive that a cloud of it could be ignited even in a heavy rain storm. But, any scientist our there, are free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, this happened back in the 50s and its still unexplained to this day, even though Blue Book investigators looked into all these things, if it was just methane that had ignited, I think they would have considered that theory.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Would methane igniting affect the roots of the grass? I suppose, if he'd ignited methane, and singed himself--a prank that perhaps got out of hand, that would have caused him to freak out and run out of the area babbling incoherently, as the police reported. IDK. I'm watching this discussion, open to either side of the argument. I've never been into the UFO thing, but some of these reports have me wondering.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Would methane igniting affect the roots of the grass? I suppose, if he'd ignited methane, and singed himself--a prank that perhaps got out of hand, that would have caused him to freak out and run out of the area babbling incoherently, as the police reported. IDK. I'm watching this discussion, open to either side of the argument. I've never been into the UFO thing, but some of these reports have me wondering.
When they tested the grass samples they had collected, they concluded that it would have taken 300 degree heat across the entire area, to burn the roots of the grass.

I do not know if airborne methane can ignite like this, or at what temp it would be, I would imagine this information is available though.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
When they tested the grass samples they had collected, they concluded that it would have taken 300 degree heat across the entire area, to burn the roots of the grass.

I do not know if airborne methane can ignite like this, or at what temp it would be, I would imagine this information is available though.
The flame temperature, from Google, of methane gas burning can reach 1950 °C (3542 °F) with the proper amount of oxygen. Here is a picture you can see of scientist lighting a pocket of the gas on a frozen lake: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...rming/methane/. If you read quickly and look at the picture you will not have to sign up to read the rest of the article.

So the 300 degrees would be easy to reach at a ground level depending on where the gas cloud was ignited and how much was there. I recently saw some article where scientist were complaining about the permafrost melting and producing a lot of methane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal