Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have read about some early explorers, that claimed they came across an island that was inhabited by 'dog people', they walked up right like men, but had bodies and heads of dogs/wolves, they were even said to wear clothing and have commerce on the island, as well as their own language. I cannot recall the name, but it was something like 'Cyania------'. Im pretty sure this was long before Peter Stumppes time too.
They're the cynocephalii (dog heads): Old icons of St Christopher portray him as a cynocephalii warrior from Canaan who converted to Christianity and was martyred. Unfortunately, the Moscow patriarchate outlawed icons showing him as a cynocephalus in the 18th century - and post Vatican II the Vatican decided to declare St Christopher and a bunch of other saints never existed. An article on St Christopher in two parts:

https://orthodoxartsjournal.org/the-...t-christopher/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many people feared wolves and with just cause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attack. As you can see in that article I quote: "The country with the most extensive historical records is France, where nearly 7,600 fatal attacks were documented from 1200 to 1920." So there were many good reasons for this fear. Now once you combine fear and lack of scientific data or education; it is easy to see how these superstitions became the 'reality' of the day. A wolf was a terrifying predator and giving it supernatural abilities just took that reason to fear it up a few notches.

Bears, when a front leg is seriously injured, have been known to walk on its hind legs. That could be mistaken for a werewolf. I am curious if wolf, when their front legs get injured, have ever walk on there hind legs? I tried Googling and only came up with bears. But it would not surprise me if there were cases of upright wolves. If somebody watched a bear walking on its hind legs and then suddenly go down and start walking on three or four legs or go from four legs to two legs; that would perpetuate the myth.
Canines cannot walk upright on their hind legs for very long, and certainly cannot run(although picturing it in my head is quite hilarious). They can take a few awkward steps upright, but thats about it.

Bears are the same, they can walk upright, but not for long.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
They're the cynocephalii (dog heads): Old icons of St Christopher portray him as a cynocephalii warrior from Canaan who converted to Christianity and was martyred. Unfortunately, the Moscow patriarchate outlawed icons showing him as a cynocephalus in the 18th century - and post Vatican II the Vatican decided to declare St Christopher and a bunch of other saints never existed. An article on St Christopher in two parts:

Cynocephali...yes, thats the name.

What I find interesting about the 'dog men/werewolf' reports in the modern US, they ALL come from the same region (upper midwest), MI, and WI. and there are not many sightings, and that they date back to the 1800s, reports are very similar in details as well.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:14 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Canines cannot walk upright on their hind legs for very long, and certainly cannot run(although picturing it in my head is quite hilarious). They can take a few awkward steps upright, but thats about it.

Bears are the same, they can walk upright, but not for long.
If you have front legs that are injured and very painful to use; then you use your hind legs or die. That's nature. I tried to find films or references to wolves using just their rear legs and I could not - that does not mean that it does not happen. I had a deer that virtually walked on just its rear legs because of injury to the front legs; but it walked in more of a hunched over position using the one front leg for stabilization.

Take a good look at this YouTube and tell me if you think that bear is having a hard time walking upright. It is simply too painful for it to use its front legs. Also pay attention to the end of the clip where the bear goes down into what we would consider a normal bear walking position and think of how our ancestors could think they saw a 'transformation' of human into a beast or the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIkQaLJ9r8

Old 12-02-2019, 07:49 AM

30,509 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The news is crying Bigfoot, but this is obviously a werewolf.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hunter...VuwXG-yeVVXadg

Hunter captures strange howl in northern Ontario woods

sounds like a cat in heat to me.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you have front legs that are injured and very painful to use; then you use your hind legs or die. That's nature. I tried to find films or references to wolves using just their rear legs and I could not - that does not mean that it does not happen. I had a deer that virtually walked on just its rear legs because of injury to the front legs; but it walked in more of a hunched over position using the one front leg for stabilization.

Take a good look at this YouTube and tell me if you think that bear is having a hard time walking upright. It is simply too painful for it to use its front legs. Also pay attention to the end of the clip where the bear goes down into what we would consider a normal bear walking position and think of how our ancestors could think they saw a 'transformation' of human into a beast or the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIkQaLJ9r8

Can bears do this for long distances and run faster than any human while going through thick brush??

Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sounds like a cat in heat to me.
I was thinking more likely a moose or bear.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Can bears do this for long distances and run faster than any human while going through thick brush??
That depends on the human.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Without seeing it make the noise; or being super close; then we have no idea.
A Bf sound to me. Could have been a human with a Bullroarer.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That depends on the human.

OK, How about a "very healthy cross country runner."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal