Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 01:33 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

Just for fun, I've had my astrological chart done, my palm read, and had a psychic reading--all by different people, and years apart.

Each one told me I have an old soul.

I can't help it, I'm a sceptic. Is that a standard bit of puffery used to make clients feel good about themselves? Does everyone get told they've lived 495 lives? (Incidentally, is there a maximum number of lives? Do you get kicked out of the cycle when you reach 500? 1000?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 02:06 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Yes, I think it is puffery, but having said that, I think anyone who is interested in spiritual matters has been around the loop a few more times than people who are not. That does not mean old souls are better any more than a masters degree student is better than a bachelors degree student. Yes, they probably know more, but just at a different stage in their learning development. Like students can teach the teachers how to be better teachers.

Obviously, everyone likes to be told they are special or advanced, or they are a 'star seed', 'indigo 1' or 'indigo 2', or 'walk-in'. It appeals to our ego, but it is how you handle such comments that really show whether one is an 'old soul' or not.

Actually, I think most of us have been around the Earth-life loop multiple times already. Each time we learn new and important things which help us advance on our spiritual journey. So, in this case, 'old' is relative and since time is only an illusional concept for this reality, it has no real meaning at all.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
According to psychology class back in school it is just one of the many things they use to trick people. It supposedly makes you feel special and more open to believe them. It is also used pick up on anything in your past you might bring up so they can use it later.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Astrology does not need to see you face to face and often you just get a report of the interpretation of your birth chart. Obviously palm readers need to see your hand, but I guess it is mainly psychics who say this about being old souls.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yes, I think it is puffery, but having said that, I think anyone who is interested in spiritual matters has been around the loop a few more times than people who are not. That does not mean old souls are better any more than a masters degree student is better than a bachelors degree student. Yes, they probably know more, but just at a different stage in their learning development. Like students can teach the teachers how to be better teachers.

Obviously, everyone likes to be told they are special or advanced, or they are a 'star seed', 'indigo 1' or 'indigo 2', or 'walk-in'. It appeals to our ego, but it is how you handle such comments that really show whether one is an 'old soul' or not.

Actually, I think most of us have been around the Earth-life loop multiple times already. Each time we learn new and important things which help us advance on our spiritual journey. So, in this case, 'old' is relative and since time is only an illusional concept for this reality, it has no real meaning at all.
Thanks for the analysis. I had to look up your examples (star seed, etc.), so I guess maybe I haven't been around the loop so many times

Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the analysis. I had to look up your examples (star seed, etc.), so I guess maybe I haven't been around the loop so many times
I shouldn't worry about it, it is just the weird names the new agers give to what they see as advanced humans. (These are usually the ones who go on the speaking circuits or write books on the subject) There have always been people who can see/hear/sense stuff throughout history, we just give them different names now. No big deal.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:51 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Just for fun, I've had my astrological chart done, my palm read, and had a psychic reading--all by different people, and years apart.

Each one told me I have an old soul.

I can't help it, I'm a sceptic. Is that a standard bit of puffery used to make clients feel good about themselves? Does everyone get told they've lived 495 lives? (Incidentally, is there a maximum number of lives? Do you get kicked out of the cycle when you reach 500? 1000?)
Well, I don't think it's puffery, because I've only been told once, that I had a large number of previous lives. So it depends on who your "reader" is, as to whether they're faking it by flattering you, or not bothering to flatter you, or maybe that's what they actually "saw".

Hard to say. I'd say, that the more interesting question is; did what any of them told you about those past lives resonate with you, in the sense that it seemed to fit a theme from this lifetime? Or was it just statements obviously plucked out of thin air, like: you were Egyptian royalty in the days of the Pharoes, or something.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:54 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Well, and there's also the possibility, that being an "old soul" means you're not too swift on the uptake, and have had to keep coming back time and again, with only short intervals between lives, to get your lessons through your thick skull. If you were an old soul but with fewer lifetimes, it might mean you're a quick learner, and have advanced in spiritual maturity quickly.

You never know.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I don't think it's puffery, because I've only been told once, that I had a large number of previous lives. So it depends on who your "reader" is, as to whether they're faking it by flattering you, or not bothering to flatter you, or maybe that's what they actually "saw".

Hard to say. I'd say, that the more interesting question is; did what any of them told you about those past lives resonate with you, in the sense that it seemed to fit a theme from this lifetime? Or was it just statements obviously plucked out of thin air, like: you were Egyptian royalty in the days of the Pharoes, or something.
Sadly, none have identified any previous identities. I don't like tight necklines, that's supposed to indicate I was hanged or strangled in a previous incarnation. I hope it was hanged; being strangled seems like a victim.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:51 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I'm not into new age stuff anymore because of how dangerously misleading it is, but....

There is something to that 'old soul' phrase. And I'm not necessarily talking about past lives or anything like that.

But have you noticed some people just have a certain "look" in their eyes? There's just something there, something really deep and mysterious, that others do not have.

(Some people have kind of a blank look like there's nobody home.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal