Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Here is a great article to start the debate in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth.

I quote from that link:

"A worldwide deluge, such as the one described in Genesis, is incompatible with modern scientific understanding of natural history, especially geology and paleontology."

That link list many theories and it is possible that a localized flood gave rise to the global version.

The reason I posted this thread is because the Great Flood has been used as a reason why or why not some mythical creatures could or could not exist. But if this Great Flood was localized, then all bets would be off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a great article to start the debate in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth.

I quote from that link:

"A worldwide deluge, such as the one described in Genesis, is incompatible with modern scientific understanding of natural history, especially geology and paleontology."

That link list many theories and it is possible that a localized flood gave rise to the global version.

The reason I posted this thread is because the Great Flood has been used as a reason why or why not some mythical creatures could or could not exist. But if this Great Flood was localized, then all bets would be off.
I am far from a expert in the area. My understanding is it was a very localized flood with a lot of very exaggerated stories coming from it.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I am far from a expert in the area. My understanding is it was a very localized flood with a lot of very exaggerated stories coming from it.
That is what that link states and they trace the origins of those stories. If this was a localized even then humans and animals would have survived in other areas of the globe. It is hard to believe that only two of each species survived a world cataclysmic event. We declare species endangered long before the numbers go down to one male and one female. All it would take is one accident and the species would perish.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:03 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
As an atheist, I believe that Noah's flood was a localized weather catastrophe, equal to the modern-day hurricane Katrina. (But not a hurricane per se, since you need a large warm sea to form it.) The count of 40 days and 40 nights could easily be wrong: clocks didn't exist back then, and the dark wooden box Noah's family floated around in made it difficult to tell day and night apart. But it was definitely a prolonged natural disaster, not a one-day downpour. Since the ark allegedly landed on Mount Ararat, in modern-day eastern Turkey, that's where the flood most likely happened. Although, it could have drifted north from Mesopotamia (Iraq), the place where early Biblical characters allegedly lived.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
As an atheist, I believe that Noah's flood was a localized weather catastrophe, equal to the modern-day hurricane Katrina. (But not a hurricane per se, since you need a large warm sea to form it.) The count of 40 days and 40 nights could easily be wrong: clocks didn't exist back then, and the dark wooden box Noah's family floated around in made it difficult to tell day and night apart. But it was definitely a prolonged natural disaster, not a one-day downpour. Since the ark allegedly landed on Mount Ararat, in modern-day eastern Turkey, that's where the flood most likely happened. Although, it could have drifted north from Mesopotamia (Iraq), the place where early Biblical characters allegedly lived.
I share your belief and lack of beliefs. I posted this link because of the debate that was going on about whether or not Big Foot could have survived when not aboard the ark. I also think it was a localized flood. When I was a truck driver I was on roads in Mississippi and Louisiana during flooding and one would think the whole world was under water, the road was the only thing out of the water. So I can easily imagine ancient ancestor trapped and they assumed it was everyplace.

The Wikipedia article, that I first posted, was titled "Flood Myth". It did not sound as if they are believers.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Hmmm, Ive never heard any connection to the ark, global flood and 'mythical creatures', I know its said that a male and female of every animal species was on board, and Ive even heard those that believe smaller dinosaurs may have been onboard, (the Ark Experience here in KY, depicts several species of dinosaurs being on the ark)...but no Bigfoot or Dogman that Im aware of!! LOL

Old 11-06-2020, 06:55 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Hmmm, Ive never heard any connection to the ark, global flood and 'mythical creatures', I know its said that a male and female of every animal species was on board, and Ive even heard those that believe smaller dinosaurs may have been onboard, (the Ark Experience here in KY, depicts several species of dinosaurs being on the ark)...but no Bigfoot or Dogman that Im aware of!! LOL
Oh, really?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPsuOEH1fY

Old 11-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Actually I was referring to your post #33 that you made in the tread "Big Foot, what is it":

"Technically, the bible says the Nephilim were here before the flood AND AFTER...but if Noahs family were the only humans to survive, Im not sure how that is accurate or what they are talking about."

You were responding to Sand&Salt's post #29:

"If we are going Old Testament, wouldn't the Nephilim have been destroyed in the flood?

However, the "Dark Side" is out there and who knows what strings they are pulling these days.

IMO, supernatural is not beyond the realm of possibility...."

Old 11-06-2020, 10:28 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
This may be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQeEgPhSfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwJS32MTSc

I could not find the original Ballard National Geographic Documentary on the Black Sea on youtube which does a great job.

Also read The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes by Firestone, West and Warwick-Smith which give scientific evidence of a comet striking earth which likely precipitated atmospheric and climactic disruptions causing large ice caps melting and the wiping out of early civilizations.

As for mythological creatures and their existence I still don't see why (if they still exist) their remains have never been found unless they became subsumed and found a few places based upon geological formations underground where they could survive like "Morlocks".

On the other hand, there is the whole issue of remains supposedly found which are kept out of public view (Smithsonian) which show larger humanoid like skeletal frames found at some sites through out various parts of the USA (can;t recall the book now but the remains were in Grand Canyon and in Mississippi valley area mounds if I recall) and other parts of the world. Don't know how much credence to put into it but I think everything should be open to inspection by scientists / archeologists and let the findings fall where they may.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 11-06-2020 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: additional

Old 11-06-2020, 11:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
There are Bible scholars in my family and many of them now believe the Flood was the "known world" at the time, which was of course, just that part of the globe.

The Flood is also recorded in several other non-Christian mythologies, some even pre-dating the Bible.

So yes, if there's Bigfoot, they could have survived.

I've learned from my Bible-translating sister that hyperbole was often used by the Bible writers, as that was a common way to talk in those times. The Bible is not a scientific book and was never meant to be. But the two do not have to conflict. I believe both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal