Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 05:27 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,230,479 times

Advertisements

I tend to be more skeptical not in the sense that I deny any in all paranormal I witness accounts, but in that I don't know why people experience these phenomena, and I won't jump to a conclusion over it.

To me this is what scepticism is.

Any time I wish to hear these stores from people they always are apprehensive and suggest I'll think they are crazy. I understand this apprehension so many people ridicule others for this.

That gets to the heart of this. It is the reason I started this thread. I don't need to explain everything or find a rational explanation. There may not be such an explanation.

I wonder if these attempts to explain these phenomena are based on the person explaining being fearful of this sort of thing existing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 08:21 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,035,266 times
What I don't like is when a person with a totally closed mind says, "I'm a skeptic." That's not what a skeptic is.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:22 PM

986 posts, read 553,064 times
And there is the opposite of that @irootoo, people who call skeptics debunkers. People tend to choose sides, and ignore the fact that there are people standing in the middle of what ever the subject is. When it comes to paranormal or UFOS, there are believers, skeptics, debunkers.

Some of the debunkers start their sentences with "Science proves..." which it does no such thing, science is not a person that proves anything. You can say scientists have determined ... and maybe that is all there is to know about the subject currently.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:56 PM

27,685 posts, read 16,171,854 times
Could very well be they are afraid of what the experiencer is saying. On the other hand, there are so many fakers these days looking for clicks, its hard not to be skeptical. . Also, im my own biggest debunker, but not because im scared, but because thats what you do. But some things remain in the ? catagory.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
What I don't like is when a person with a totally closed mind says, "I'm a skeptic." That's not what a skeptic is.
Agreed a skeptic is just a person that doesn't have a conclusion.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Could very well be they are afraid of what the experiencer is saying. On the other hand, there are so many fakers these days looking for clicks, its hard not to be skeptical. . Also, im my own biggest debunker, but not because im scared, but because thats what you do. But some things remain in the ? catagory.
Normally experiencers (I'll go with that term) are quite convicted to something they experience and typically calling it brings up quite a real emotion of fear.

I think there's a component within hours species that translates fear. Someone else is scared of something so maybe that's why you're afraid of it too.

I think the people that really get kind of pushy with this don't like the idea of something that's unexplainable having that kind of power to frighten you at the debunking is the way to deal with it.

I had an experience once upon a time I worked as a night watchman at a cemetery. Everybody had told me this cemetery was haunted I approached it in my normal skeptical way which is guarded.

One particular thing that I was told about was in the shed where they get the equipment there was something that would make this sort of inhuman moaning sound. And sure enough I heard it. And I did experience fear because I was told this was going to happen and that it's something supernatural and it happened.

My first instinct was to run away. And what I had gotten away from it I was sitting there thinking about it. I went back in sat down after my patrols and I heard it again my heart something my chest but I didn't run. And what's the adrenaline had worn off it happened again.

The shed was operational during the day so there were no lights except for one very dim light that didn't really eliminate the whole room. And there was this backhoe with a loader on the front of it. The backhoe had outriggers the outriggers were lifted up. I then decided to lean on this back home no particular reason and I heard it and felt it this time. The outriggers were drifting. That happens with older hydraulics and the sound that made sense having been a mechanic it all dawned on me.

I think a lot of people also fear being the laughing stock personally I think this story about backhoe and the inhuman moaning is really kind of funny and that's why I tell it. I don't feel foolish I was spooked by something I couldn't explain until I could.

If I couldn't explain that sound I probably still saying it the same amount of fear I had when I first heard it.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:28 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Agreed a skeptic is just a person that doesn't have a conclusion.
Not really. But that is why it is so important to define our terms in any discussion.

Skepticism is actually a specific type of philosophy with very specific terms and assertions. 99% of the time, that is not what most people are talking about when they claim to be a "skeptic."

In my experience, what most people mean: I can't be sure what you're claiming is true, but something about it seems off. I'm not convinced.

When it comes to most claims of the paranormal, that's where I find myself.

What I do not like is the supreme arrogance I find in most of the "true believers" and the "hardcore debunkers." They are so convinced that they alone get it, and that anyone who disagrees with them is either an idiot or in on The Conspiracy. We need a more humble approach to knowledge: admitting that no one yet knows it all, and there are still things in the cosmos for us to figure out.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not really. But that is why it is so important to define our terms in any discussion.

Skepticism is actually a specific type of philosophy with very specific terms and assertions. 99% of the time, that is not what most people are talking about when they claim to be a "skeptic."
I disagree it's not a philosophy it's just not coming to conclusion when there's not enough evidence to.
Quote:
In my experience, what most people mean: I can't be sure what you're claiming is true, but something about it seems off. I'm not convinced.

When it comes to most claims of the paranormal, that's where I find myself.
I think that approach focuses too much on "I know what's true" to actually be skepticism. When it comes to paranormal I have no idea.
Quote:
What I do not like is the supreme arrogance I find in most of the "true believers" and the "hardcore debunkers." They are so convinced that they alone get it, and that anyone who disagrees with them is either an idiot or in on The Conspiracy. We need a more humble approach to knowledge: admitting that no one yet knows it all, and there are still things in the cosmos for us to figure out.
that hasn't been right experience at all. People who have experienced paranormal events tend to be very reluctant to tell me about them. They all appreciate it with the statement that you're going to think I'm crazy.

No I don't think people are crazy I don't think they're making stuff up necessarily. Perhaps their imagination is filling in the gaps they're actually seeing something that I've never seen.

In the debunkers are mostly people trying to reduce fear. That's why they laugh and condescend positively even feel shame for the fear that they feel.

I don't know.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:45 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I disagree it's not a philosophy it's just not coming to conclusion when there's not enough evidence to.
It actually is a philosophy. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_skepticism

Old 08-03-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Then I guess I disagree with Wikipedia too. It's okay to disagree. I still wouldn't define it as a philosophy even if you can find people on the internet that agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal