Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
Came upon this link of a scholar who has done research on near death experiences. It is very powerful stuff. Interestingly, both Christians AND Aetheists will find it interesting (An aetheist believes he saw the afterlife, BUT still is an aetheist!). The speaker also discussed briefly about NDEs from people of other cultures and religion, though, i have to say that I felt as if he was suggesting their experiences were mostly negative (e.g. the Hinduist)

http://www.veritas.org/media_files/V03CPSLO04.mov (170mb)

or, if you prefer to listen to it and not download such a huge file, you can click here.

I'd love to discuss this if anyone else listened to it.

Last edited by doss1; 10-02-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
That was very interesting..thanks for sharing. I`ve been reading a lot lately about near death experiences and what happens to a person the second after death. Such as,do you go into a state of unconsciousness,does your spirit go to heaven, etc. If a person does continue on in spirit then I don`t understand why Jesus will resurrect our bodies at a later time. If a body is needed then why don`t we get one the moment of our death?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
That was very interesting..thanks for sharing. I`ve been reading a lot lately about near death experiences and what happens to a person the second after death. Such as,do you go into a state of unconsciousness,does your spirit go to heaven, etc. If a person does continue on in spirit then I don`t understand why Jesus will resurrect our bodies at a later time. If a body is needed then why don`t we get one the moment of our death?
I think what was said in the discussion was that apparently you are given a point of "no return" after you cross a river or some barrier. It seems some people have a CHOICE.

Last edited by doss1; 10-04-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
Could be hallucinations related to the loss of blood to the brain.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Could be hallucinations related to the loss of blood to the brain.
Did you even listen to the file(s)? They already talked about that. Besides, these NDE cases are only studied when the patient has no brain wave activity, no pulse, no heart beat, is comatosed, etc. Lastly, some cases include things that the patients witnessed from "outside the body" that they otherwise could not possibly have seen (e.g. little girl watching her mother cook dinner and being able to precisely name the ingredients, listening to brother hum a tune that on the radio which she was able to name, etc). All this was accurately cross referenced after the patient came to.

Last edited by doss1; 10-04-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Did you even listen to the file(s)? They already talked about that. Besides, these NDE cases are only studied when the patient has no brain wave activity, no pulse, no heart beat, is comatosed, etc. Lastly, some cases include things that the patients witnessed from "outside the body" that they otherwise could not possibly have seen (e.g. little girl watching her mother cook dinner and being able to precisely name the ingredients, listening to brother hum a tune that on the radio which she was able to name, etc). All this was accurately cross referenced after the patient came to.
The links to the video wouldn't come up for me so I couldn't watch it, but I wonder after no brain wave activity, no heart beat, and basically being clinically dead how the person came back in the first place? In other words, if the brain were dead, there is nothing to involuntarily tell the heart to beat, the lungs to breathe, etc... etc.. So, this tells me that there must have been some sort of brain wave activity, and with that brain wave activity they probably hallucinated as the brain was probably dying off. Is it odd that someone could explain having seen things "outside" the body, yes, but I think that the brain has a much bigger subconscious than we are really aware of. Perhaps it is this part of the brain that dies off last.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:09 PM

640 posts, read 461,282 times
My mother-in-law told me that she had "died" during childbirth back in the 1960's. She was hesitant to talk about it, but she had read something or heard something about near-death experiences so she asked me what I thought. I told her that I thought it was very real. Here's what she recounted to me:

She went to the hospital very ill at 7 months pregnant with twins. She was put on gurney and taken into surgery. She remembered a mask being placed over her mouth. She then saw herself laying on the table and doctors and nurses working on her. She heard their words. She was up above them and trying desperately to tell them that she couldn't be dead. She had a son to raise; a husband to care for; family and friends. She said she begged the doctors to look up and see her. She then said that she went up and saw a very bright light and she went towards it. She heard her name. And she says she saw Jesus. She said that she told Him that she couldn't come with him yet; it wasn't time. And lastly, she said that she heard Jesus speak and say to her to go back; go back. She felt safe and well. Her next memory is awakening in the ICU. It was three days later. The doctors told her she had died and had no heartbeat for over 4 minutes. She lost her twins. Both died.

I believe her. She's the type of woman who says little about herself, especially something this personal. I don't think science can explain this experience, because it's a DIVINE experience; not a science experiment that can be induced and monitored.

Thanks for the link, TexasNick. Great read!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The links to the video wouldn't come up for me so I couldn't watch it, but I wonder after no brain wave activity, no heart beat, and basically being clinically dead how the person came back in the first place? In other words, if the brain were dead, there is nothing to involuntarily tell the heart to beat, the lungs to breathe, etc... etc.. So, this tells me that there must have been some sort of brain wave activity, and with that brain wave activity they probably hallucinated as the brain was probably dying off. Is it odd that someone could explain having seen things "outside" the body, yes, but I think that the brain has a much bigger subconscious than we are really aware of. Perhaps it is this part of the brain that dies off last.
IMO, This is Gods way of giving us assurance that He Is....

Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
Those videos are not evidence of anything other than undocumented testimonials. In essence, worthless.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
It's my opinion that those who claim to have come back from the dead were never dead in the first place. If someone came back after having rigamortus then I'd say you might be onto something but that's never happened. Medical advances have allowed people to be revived who appeared to be dead. There was no heart beat or brain activity but they were revived. People have survived for surprising long periods of time when they were in freezing water and paramedics were able to bring them back. It's quite possible that there's no exact instant of death if your body is still intact and that these near death experiences are exactly what they're called: NEAR death, not beyond death and back again. I suspect that researchers who claim that these experiences are the result of the activities in the brain are probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal