Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,717,974 times

Advertisements

Transport secretary to announce proposed increase in speed limit from 70mph to 80mph at Tory conference.

Government plans to raise speed limit to 80mph | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 AM

16,728 posts, read 17,503,806 times
I suspect this will go the way it has gone in other countries.

If just speed is an issue the police tend to turn a blind eye to cars travelling at around 80mph. You might get away with travelling at up to 85 if other factors are not involved.

If and when the new higher limit is introduced I suspect that there will be less leniency if you exceed it.

Many private motorists are possibly unlikely to take advantage of the higher limit given the astronomical cost of fuel here. Repmobiles won't be affected in this way but they're the ones who were doing 80 anyhow.

As for the lower limits in towns, I would say that our nearby town already has this in place in the centre and it makes for a more relaxed and safer enviroment for drivers and pedestrians.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,308,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Transport secretary to announce proposed increase in speed limit from 70mph to 80mph at Tory conference.

Government plans to raise speed limit to 80mph | UK news | guardian.co.uk

80 mph is what a lot of people drive on the motorways now - when the speed limit is 70. The people that have the tendency to always exceed by 10mph (like my husband ) will now, no doubt, do 90 mph.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 AM

95 posts, read 161,356 times
Good idea.

I averaged 80-90mph on the motorways anyway. I never got stopped and never came close to having an accident. British motorways are much safer than their US counterparts anyway (longer merge lanes, smoother surfaces, fewer exits, no advertising billboards to distract, better overhead lighting, wider lanes and better crash barriers). Also, the standard of driving is much higher.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,010,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Good idea.

I averaged 80-90mph on the motorways anyway. I never got stopped and never came close to having an accident. British motorways are much safer than their US counterparts anyway (longer merge lanes, smoother surfaces, fewer exits, no advertising billboards to distract, better overhead lighting, wider lanes and better crash barriers). Also, the standard of driving is much higher.
Yeah, much of Europe is as densely populated, or more so, than the U.S. Northeast yet our speed limits here in the Northeast (except Maine now) are at a crawl of 65 mph. I think PA should have a limit of 75 MPH on the turnpike and I-80. When I was in England, when we went to Oxford for the weekend, we were driving at or over 70 MPH on the motorway to get there and there was no problem

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

95 posts, read 161,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah, much of Europe is as densely populated, or more so, than the U.S. Northeast yet our speed limits here in the Northeast (except Maine now) are at a crawl of 65 mph. I think PA should have a limit of 75 MPH on the turnpike and I-80. When I was in England, when we went to Oxford for the weekend, we were driving at or over 70 MPH on the motorway to get there and there was no problem
UK motorways are excellent. What they lack in quanity and # of lanes for the busier sections, they make up for in quality and safety. Driving over there was a breeze and even rural motorways are very well lit at night.

Some states vary of course. CA and TX have excellent roads, but the northeast not so much.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,969,479 times
Having driven extensively in both countries, British motorways are safer not primarily because of their construction but because of the better driving skills and far better lane discipline than in the USA.

I think a more flexible approach to speed limits on motorways is needed. For example, the M6 between Lancaster and Carlisle could have a safe speed limit of 90mph because it is a very good, 3 lane road, with relatively little traffic. On the other hand, the M1 from the M6 junction down to London should probably stay at 70 mph because of the sheer volume of traffic.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 PM

591 posts, read 930,442 times
It's about time. 90% go that fast anyway. Except for lorries, and the annoying bunch who drive 50 mph on the motorway.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,498,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
80 mph is what a lot of people drive on the motorways now - when the speed limit is 70. The people that have the tendency to always exceed by 10mph (like my husband ) will now, no doubt, do 90 mph.
Huh? 90 MPH isn't fast. In Germany, I'd go at least 100. Hell, even when I was going 120, I still had people passing me all the time.
Of course, it's up to you how fast you travel, but I think it should be higher. I don't see anything wrong with that. We ( U.S ) just have lousy drivers. Driving twice around the block ( literally ) gets you your driver's license.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,308,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Huh? 90 MPH isn't fast. In Germany, I'd go at least 100. Hell, even when I was going 120, I still had people passing me all the time.
Of course, it's up to you how fast you travel, but I think it should be higher. I don't see anything wrong with that. We ( U.S ) just have lousy drivers. Driving twice around the block ( literally ) gets you your driver's license.
So your point is what? That you think it is okay to break the law?
I wasn't debating whether or not 90 is "fast".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom