Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,601,161 times

Advertisements

Was watching an episode of Wheelers Dealers and the guy's Jeep would not pass the MOT inspection. Learned it was a very strict vehicle inspection. We have something similiar here but how strict it is depends on local and state laws. Some states don't even have inspections. Where I live, they'll check the headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, wipers, horn, and condition of windshield & mirrors. How strict is MOT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Oh, and the current cost per year for inspection here is about 6.11 pounds.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,002,580 times
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf

Second page has a car diagram that lists everything that's checked.

*If I remember right, that car is a Peugeot 107 or 207?

Passenger cars are £54.85 for MOT, plus you have to pay for a tax disc every year and that is dependent on engine size (cars manufactured before March 1, 2001) or CO2 emissions plus fuel type (cars manufactured after March 1, 2001). For comparison, in my state I have to pay about a total of $130 (£80) every year for inspection, emission, and registration

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM

WOW! There would be a lot less vehicles on the road if we had that test. My alcoholic uncle once had a car stolen. Police easily found it the next day. It was the only car they'd ever seen with a 2x4 piece of wood for a front bumper. One test I wish they would do here is the headlight and fog light aim test. Far too many idiots never bother to check that their lights are properly aimed. Another problem is modern plastic headlight lenses deteriorate and get cloudy due to oxidation from the sun. Either resurface the lenses (which still limits visibility) or replace them at a large price (sometimes $450 per lense) I was lucky in that mine cost $250 for both lenses including new headlight bulbs. Have to resurface my wife's vehicle lenses soon.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,094,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
WOW! There would be a lot less vehicles on the road if we had that test. My alcoholic uncle once had a car stolen. Police easily found it the next day. It was the only car they'd ever seen with a 2x4 piece of wood for a front bumper. One test I wish they would do here is the headlight and fog light aim test. Far too many idiots never bother to check that their lights are properly aimed. Another problem is modern plastic headlight lenses deteriorate and get cloudy due to oxidation from the sun. Either resurface the lenses (which still limits visibility) or replace them at a large price (sometimes $450 per lense) I was lucky in that mine cost $250 for both lenses including new headlight bulbs. Have to resurface my wife's vehicle lenses soon.
I had to replace my headlights for that very reason, Is was a mystery to me as to why the plastic had gone that way, thanks for the explanaition.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 AM

585 posts, read 1,090,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
One test I'd like to see done is the:

"Do you know where the F******ng switch for your fog lights is? Or is it usually foggy in your car sir?" test.

Many cars are built with fog lights but few drivers actually know what they are. "Oh, turn all the bloody lights on!"

Then again, we live and learn.

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the various social sessions over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a large whiskey. Not a good idea.

Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a bus home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block but because I was in a bus, they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise.

I have never driven a bus before and am still not sure where I got it.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,094,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post

"Do you know where the F******ng switch for your fog lights is? Or is it usually foggy in your car sir?" test.

Many cars are built with fog lights but few drivers actually know what they are. "Oh, turn all the bloody lights on!"

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the various social sessions over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a large whiskey. Not a good idea.

Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a bus home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block but because I was in a bus, they waved it past.

That made me chuckle

Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM

Haha! One night in Gaeta Italy I dared an Irish bartender to make every drink he knew how to make. Don't know what happened to my left shoe, dot know how I got back to the ship, but I do remember throwing up for two hours the next morning. Haven't drank alcohol since that morning.

That same uncle once passed out drunk in his car. His car was stopped with the front end on the train tracks. When he awoke, everything in front of him was gone. No fenders, no engine, no lights. All that was left was the firewall and windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post

Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 AM

585 posts, read 1,090,246 times
Well, it is Christmas time.

If you've had too much to drink and you can't catch a bus, take a taxi.

(Take a suitcase with you, pretend it's heavy, get him to jump out then take the taxi!)

Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 17,493,229 times
If I recall correctly American cars don't usually have high intensity rear (fog) lights fitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom