Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,163,465 times

Advertisements

Something to read and watch if you feel the urge. It will be interesting to see whether the result will make a difference to Falkland/Argentine relations and British/Argentine political relations...... we shall see I suppose.

BBC News - Falklanders prepare for referendum vote
Quote:
Visitors on the cruise ships that dock here are greeted by scarlet-red pillar-boxes, and even a roof bearing the red, white and blue union flag.
Tourists are a vital part of the economy, as they come ashore to places like Bluff Cove lagoon to watch the Gentoo and King penguins, and enjoy a proper Falklands cream tea.
But Argentina has threatened cruise companies that dock here, as well as banning Falklands-registered ships from her ports, all measures which have affected businesses such as that of Kevin Kilmartin, who runs the penguin tours at Bluff Cove.
BBC - Newsbeat - Falkland islanders vote on future as British territory
Quote:
Put simply, if Argentina hadn't invaded the Falklands in 1982, Krysteen Ormond probably wouldn't be here today.
"In a roundabout way, my dad freed my mum," says the 24-year-old.
Her mother, Teena, a Falkland islander, was one of 115 people placed under arrest by the Argentines.
Argentina invaded the islands claiming to have inherited them from Spain.
Her father, Kevin, attached to 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, was part of the Task Force which helped liberate the detainees.
BBC - Newsbeat - Falklands referendum: An Argentine view
Quote:
Twenty-six-year-old Martin de Angelis is from Buenos Aires in Argentina and is studying in the UK.
He thinks his country has the right to the islands, known to Argentines as Las Malvinas.
BBC News - How Argentines feel about the Falkland Islands dispute
Quote:
Thirty years ago Britain sent a task force to liberate the Falkland Islands from the Argentine military. Since then Argentina has regularly demanded the return of what they call the Malvinas and Britain has just as regularly said that the future of the Falklands is up to the islanders themselves.
Now just ahead of a referendum, Sue Lloyd-Roberts reports for Newsnight from Buenos Aires on how the prospect of a vote is being seen in Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,931,460 times
They are obviously gonna vote to stay in the UK

Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,687,596 times
What are we guessing then, 95%+ Yes to staying British? I doubt they'll quite match the impressive 99.64% Yes vote that Gibraltar had in 1967, but shouldn't be that far off.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,389,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
What are we guessing then, 95%+ Yes to staying British? I doubt they'll quite match the impressive 99.64% Yes vote that Gibraltar had in 1967, but shouldn't be that far off.
in 1967 Franco was still running Spain and the brits along with everyone else hated him. That was like taking a vote to become part of Germany in 1938 Poland.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
in 1967 Franco was still running Spain and the brits along with everyone else hated him. That was like taking a vote to become part of Germany in 1938 Poland.
True, but the 98.5% No vote in 2002 on sharing sovereignty with the Spanish was still pretty clear cut.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,389,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
True, but the 98.5% No vote in 2002 on sharing sovereignty with the Spanish was still pretty clear cut.
I would suppose in the 300 years that Britain has controlled Gibraltar they have probably purged the territory of any Iberian or African blood. It's over-all value at one point was that it was a free-port like Ceuta. Today I don't know if that is true or not.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I would suppose in the 300 years that Britain has controlled Gibraltar they have probably purged the territory of any Iberian or African blood. It's over-all value at one point was that it was a free-port like Ceuta. Today I don't know if that is true or not.
I don't know either, and to be honest I'm not that bothered. I only mentioned the Gibraltar referendum to provide a rough parallel, no other reason

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,896,045 times
Default everybody hated him ?

Quote:

EVERYBODY HATED HIM?
certainly not!
Franco in the '60s had opened Spain to tourism, to the West, to the Arabian countries, the standard of living of the people was increasing fast.He was loved by a lot of Spanish people. They certainly were more happy back then than today. I went as a kid to Spain with my parents in the 60s, what happiness, what joy of life! it was the "fiesta espanola"!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,416,626 times
Just noticed this thread. I'm surprised some Argentinephile hasn't popped in yet with the "Malvinas" talk yet.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM

585 posts, read 1,090,102 times
Quote:
Why would you think that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom