Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times

Advertisements

Before the Internet, most of the British TV shows we "Yanks" saw were broadcast on the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). There were a few exceptions, such as "The Avengers" and "The Saint" (the latter starring a pre-Bond Roger Moore). Are either of these fondly remembered in the UK? I am sure there are many others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
If you're gonna talk about old British TV shows, you can't forget about Only Fools and Horses! A classic from the early 80s

Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
Anyone know Bless this house?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,117 times
My favorites are/were Mr. Bean, Dr. Martin, Dowton Abby, Lark Rising to Candleford, Sherlock Holmes, and Foyles War. There's a whole lot more here then on U.S. TV so I keep my on on public TV. These days there is not enough of these fine programs coming out of UK, they are all repeats.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Anyone know Bless this house?
Whoa that's going back aways... Next you'll be mentioning "Man About the House" those barely scrape into my early memories, and I think they were re-runs.

I was going to mention "The Good Life" which was broadcast on PBS as "Good Neighbors". I also remember the 80's reruns of the Prisoner (Monday 10pm Channel 4 as it was) fun watching people running in terror from weather balloons, and the ever changing face of number 2 (which of course means something completely different than sprang to mind when I typed it). The Young Ones, Blackadder, which is great to see Hugh Laurie (House) playing Prince Ludwig in Blackadder the Second, and Baldricks turnips, and Shelley (Hywel Bennett) Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister there's a gazillion though, they're the first one's that rise to the top.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you're gonna talk about old British TV shows, you can't forget about Only Fools and Horses! A classic from the early 80s
It always baffles me when people talk of only fools and horses in such a glowing way. I think its one of the most badly written, poorly acted, and unfunny comedies to be produced in the UK.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Whoa that's going back aways... Next you'll be mentioning "Man About the House" those barely scrape into my early memories, and I think they were re-runs.

I was going to mention "The Good Life" which was broadcast on PBS as "Good Neighbors". I also remember the 80's reruns of the Prisoner (Monday 10pm Channel 4 as it was) fun watching people running in terror from weather balloons, and the ever changing face of number 2 (which of course means something completely different than sprang to mind when I typed it). The Young Ones, Blackadder, which is great to see Hugh Laurie (House) playing Prince Ludwig in Blackadder the Second, and Baldricks turnips, and Shelley (Hywel Bennett) Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister there's a gazillion though, they're the first one's that rise to the top.
All good choices.

Also fondly remember Mr. Ben, Fingerbobs, the Clangers, Camberick Green and many other kids shows.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
I dont really watch british shows. Nearly all of the shows I watched when I was young were american. So the ones I cant see now: Dexter, rugrats and Recess, zoe 101 and lots more.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Many of these fondly remembered old shows are better left in the past........

A few still entertain. 'The Good Life' is one. My favourite is 'Steptoe & Son'. I think it was re-made in America as 'Sanford & Son.' Some of the stories were very well written. I believe the two actors in the programme didn't like each other much, but ended up working together on this series for many years.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Benny Hill
teehee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom