Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,229 times

Advertisements

Kinda interesting: http://basicincome2013.eu/

They are seeking 1 million signatures by January.

Strangely, Milton Friedman advocated this idea in the US in the 1960s....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,272 times
I've read about it before, but don't think it's workable.

Surely if you got guaranteed money each month then no-one would do the dull jobs?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM

159 posts, read 263,592 times
I could only imagine the over all cost of such a program that spans throughout the whole EU. It appears to replace such systems as social security like here in the states, but provide more and in return cost alot more!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM

how would it work - ie: how could you get people to work at MacD's if they didn't need to?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
how would it work - ie: how could you get people to work at MacD's if they didn't need to?
Because they would be able to have a much better quality of life when they add there MacD income to there basic.

I am no expert but a friend of mine does research for a professor who is a proponent of basic income.

The principal ideas as I understand it

There will never ever be enough jobs for everyone and the number of jobs will shrink even more as technology replaces workers. What will you do with all the people, can´t build camps and send them all off to be killed has been tried and is generally looked down upon.

Most people will strive to have more than basic- those who don´t probably would not anyways.

It would open the doors for people wanting to peruse new ideas and creative pursuits.

Much simpler and cheaper to administer as there is almost no administration-everyone just gets it and so other extremely expensive and burocratic social service behemoths such as the unemployment agency would no longer exist.

Employers would not need to pay so much in social stuff and wages making it cheaper to do business. Corporations would be therefore taxed a bit more.

The money is there it is just a rearrangement.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 AM

703 posts, read 446,380 times
I think a basic income for everyone would not be workable given society's current mindset.
We are currently enslaved by the doctrine of 'competition' which in turn has made 'winning' no longer desirable but a requirement.(Mancini sacking a good example). Therefore the basic income idea which would need much more in the way of cooperation (rather than competition) between people could hardly work.
I think a 'basic wage' is a far more realistic goal to aim for. Currently, employers are keeping wages low whilst using the excuse that they need their profits to expand and compete, when of course it's the competition that drives down wages.
Don't see that happening anytime soon though as we are on a completely different road. Rarely do I hear anyone question the whole concept of competition. Indeed it's often preceded by the word 'healthy'.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM

159 posts, read 263,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I think a basic income for everyone would not be workable given society's current mindset.
We are currently enslaved by the doctrine of 'competition' which in turn has made 'winning' no longer desirable but a requirement.(Mancini sacking a good example). Therefore the basic income idea which would need much more in the way of cooperation (rather than competition) between people could hardly work.
I think a 'basic wage' is a far more realistic goal to aim for. Currently, employers are keeping wages low whilst using the excuse that they need their profits to expand and compete, when of course it's the competition that drives down wages.
Don't see that happening anytime soon though as we are on a completely different road. Rarely do I hear anyone question the whole concept of competition. Indeed it's often preceded by the word 'healthy'.
yes you are right, but people strive and become better when you have competition, how do you learn, you are taught by someone who knows or is much better than you, who would want a world where everything is done half-*****ed and you get a run of the mill outcome, there will always be someone better than an individual and then there will come along someone thats better than them. Would you want a world of mediocrity, i for one would not. Something about .... teach a man to fish so he can catch his own meal and he wont have to burden others by someone else feeding him. The fact of the matter is we are NOT created equal, and those entities should not be punished or held back from creating greatness!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 PM

326 posts, read 471,042 times
this is a disaster waiting to happen... if you're getting 15k a year from doing nothing.. why would anyone ever work ? without workers, how is the economy going to function ?.. who's going to do.. anything ?? and where is this money going to come from if no-one is working (ie getting taxed)... theres a good reason why this hasn't caught on.. because this is the STUPIDEST thing i've heard in my WHOLE life .. you earn your living. you have NO RIGHT to income if you have no intention to be productive.. to show you have intention to be productive, you get a job.. simple.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM

703 posts, read 446,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder View Post
yes you are right, but people strive and become better when you have competition, how do you learn, you are taught by someone who knows or is much better than you, who would want a world where everything is done half-*****ed and you get a run of the mill outcome, there will always be someone better than an individual and then there will come along someone thats better than them. Would you want a world of mediocrity, i for one would not. Something about .... teach a man to fish so he can catch his own meal and he wont have to burden others by someone else feeding him. The fact of the matter is we are NOT created equal, and those entities should not be punished or held back from creating greatness!

I agree. A world of mediocrity would not be desirable. Indeed, it would be impossible to achieve even if we wanted it because as you say we are not created equal, and our abilities, aspirations, strengths and weaknesses ensure that that will always be the case. But then, that always has been the case.
However, I would contend that the level of intense insufficiently regulated competition we see now has not always been the case.

It's the lack of regulation since the 1980's that has brought us to where we are. Best example being the banks, and with a chancellor firmly on their side I see nothing changing for the better under this government.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Because they would be able to have a much better quality of life when they add there MacD income to there basic.
I agree with what poster Sentry 12 just said here.

and that is, if you didn't need to work at Macd's or wash dishes, clean toilets etc., you just wouldn't do it.

Come on , no one would really choose these jobs long term if they didn't need to.

I think that is the problem with the basic income idea; people will just slacken off and the boring jobs would become very hard to fill.

And how about inflation? that would shoot up surely.

I think maybe this could work within a Marxist type society, but not in what we have in the UK today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom