Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times

Advertisements

Most cards in the US don't have the chips, and most US credit cards don't use PIN numbers (though debit cards do). I keep reading mixed reports in travel books and on blogs - some say we should have no problem and others say we can expect some issues with some merchants.

We'll be in London for three days and Yorkshire for four(our plans are a lot more "rural" in that area). Should we steel ourselves for embarrassing drama? Should we carry a lot of cash with us? Will banks have any issues giving us cash when we're using a magnetic strip debit card? Should we buy (gasp) traveler's checks? We were planning on carrying about 1200 pounds in cash and already feel a little nervous about that.

(We've already paid for our hotel, vehicle, public transport so we'll only be paying for gas, food, admissions, and souvenirs).

Also - I have a Discover card, which is accepted at all Diners Club and I believe it is Link locations. Are those very common? I also have a Chase Visa credit card which I believe does have a chip - but it doesn't use a PIN number.

We traveled throughout Belgium, France, and Germany with these same cards a few years ago and had no issues at all - maybe I have been lulled into a false sense of security. Please tell me I shouldn't have any worries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 AM

490 posts, read 682,999 times
I found myself in a shop in Bath a couple of weeks ago behind an American guy paying for stuff with a non chip card. He just signed the till receipt, didn't seem to have any hassle. It just took a little longer.

I don't see that you'll have any real problems, even in the rural areas. They all use the same equipment.

How long now? 4 days? The London weather is looking good for the next week. Low 70's and fairly sunny.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
I found myself in a shop in Bath a couple of weeks ago behind an American guy paying for stuff with a non chip card. He just signed the till receipt, didn't seem to have any hassle. It just took a little longer.

I don't see that you'll have any real problems, even in the rural areas. They all use the same equipment.

How long now? 4 days? The London weather is looking good for the next week. Low 70's and fairly sunny.
I know - I am so glad about that! And the weather in Yorkshire is looking pretty optimistic as well!

I am probably worried about nothing, but I am very anal when it comes to travel plans leading up to the moment. I am always a little freaked out before a big trip because I can imagine all sorts of logistical things going wrong! I don't know why I am so worried - I've activated my Visa debit cards for international use and I know I can go to just about any ATM and just withdraw cash if we are getting low. I'm just not used to dealing with cash and don't really like carrying around much of it, especially when traveling. But...I am overthinking this!

I am counting down the days, though - so excited I can hardly sleep! I'm already packed! LOL

Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,743,599 times
In Europe I have had no problems using a debit card as most merchants have both a swipe and a chip and pin function on their credit/debit card machines. That being said though I have had problems trying to get train/public transit tickets because some of the automated kiosks will only accept chip and pin cards so it would probably make sense to have a few pounds on you just in case.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM

162 posts, read 359,626 times
Just hand them the card and say, "it's a swipe card." The teller will either swipe it though for you or direct you to swipe it yourself.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM

16,695 posts, read 17,466,448 times
Diners Club Card!

Is that still around?

I imagine that it is not the most widely accepted card these days.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM

994 posts, read 1,238,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Diners Club Card!

Is that still around?

I imagine that it is not the most widely accepted card these days.
Some places have indeed stopped taking them, but as long as you keep a supply of Luncheon Vouchers as backup, you'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,238,525 times
Plus, a little known fact is that most taxi drivers and some drug dealers are now happy to accept book tokens.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM

75 posts, read 164,900 times
Traveler's checks may work but are unnecessary, and are becoming more and more of a PITA. Debit cards will likely work fine at ATM machines, so wads of cash are usually unnecessary. For swipe credit and debit cards with MC or VISA logo, you should be fine at places involving face-to-face transactions. Just be sure to notify the issuing bank of your travels. Automated point of sale terminals are where people usually encounter difficulties with non EMV/chip-and-pin cards.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
OP, pay in cash instead. Most Brits, in my experience, pay for their stuff in cash, not cards. Also, as long as your card is Visa or Mastercard you shouldn't have an issue. I never paid with anything with my card, I always withdrew a set amount of cash to keep on hand (about £100 every withdrawal) it's much cheaper doing it that way since every transaction carries a foreign currency surcharge. Better to pay one lumpsum surcharge instead of multiple small ones. Pay in cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom