Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
'' to keep sectarian hatred going '' Again its a case of it 'takes two to tango'. Would just point out that Protestants have always been a minority on the island. They have been numbered in thousands while Catholics are in millions. Wasn't it 8 million Catholics at the time of the famine? The number of Protestants given for the 1700's was 400,000. Many of these left for a new life in America.

When football was in it infancy it branched off into four Associations England,Scotland Wales and Ireland and ever since they have been reluctant to give that up. The Irish Association was all Ireland but split in the 1940's/50's due to a dispute over picking players. They now compete as Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Yes,the Republic supporters were strongly against the England team and a few years ago there was a riot at a match between them. Its not so bad now. Its ironic that they hate England yet Irishmen cross the sea in their thousands to support English football teams.
That riot was all due to English hooligans not the Irish. It was all one-sided.

Quote:
After the questions were raised about the conduct of the Gardaí, former Chief Justice of Ireland, Thomas Finlay was appointed to investigate the events. He found that the rioting was entirely caused by the English fans without any provocation. Finlay reported that the Gardaí had received intelligence that members of Combat 18 were intending to cause trouble, and that the rioting could have been avoided if the Gardaí had acted on the intelligence. The investigation found that the head of the NCIS had offered help to the Gardaí in dealing with the hooligans, an offer which the Gardaí refused. The segregation of the fans was also found to be insufficient, and this was found to be a contributory factor to the incident.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdo..._football_riot

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/021...nsdowne-riots/

It is a complete fallacy to say the Irish hate England. They do not and as I've stated previously many Irish have English relatives. There are plenty of English in Ireland as well living quite happily.

Irish football fans are known for their great behaviour not hooliganism. They are usually voted the best fans when they participate in any sporting forum. The Northern Irish football fans are also well liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
That riot was all due to English hooligans not the Irish. It was all one-sided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdo..._football_riot

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/021...nsdowne-riots/

It is a complete fallacy to say the Irish hate England. They do not and as I've stated previously many Irish have English relatives. There are plenty of English in Ireland as well living quite happily.

Irish football fans are known for their great behaviour not hooliganism. They are usually voted the best fans when they participate in any sporting forum. The Northern Irish football fans are also well liked.
What about the Colombia and Panama flags flying outside an Irish bar on the Falls Road when they were playing England. Seems to me its '' any team but England ''. Wonder would they fly the Northern Ireland flag if England was playing NI

Old 07-22-2018, 01:54 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
What about the Colombia and Panama flags flying outside an Irish bar on the Falls Road when they were playing England. Seems to me its '' any team but England ''. Wonder would they fly the Northern Ireland flag if England was playing NI
Northern Ireland is a bit different than the Irish Republic. In the Irish Republic they don't display this sort of animosity to the English either in football or rugby. I can't really give an opinion on what people in Northern Ireland are doing as all my family are in the Republic.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Northern Ireland is a bit different than the Irish Republic. In the Irish Republic they don't display this sort of animosity to the English either in football or rugby. I can't really give an opinion on what people in Northern Ireland are doing as all my family are in the Republic.
there are irish people who will support anyone who is playing england , funny thing is , the same people often support liverpool , man utd , chelsea etc

without a hint of irony

i was hoping england would win the world cup but never believed they would , they were just not good enough and the reaction to there semi final exit was pretty mild , as if most english supporters were content to have gotten that far

Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
When the topic of England and football came into this thread and folk were saying what you have said I pointed out that it was different in NI.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
there are irish people who will support anyone who is playing england , funny thing is , the same people often support liverpool , man utd , chelsea etc

without a hint of irony

i was hoping england would win the world cup but never believed they would , they were just not good enough and the reaction to there semi final exit was pretty mild , as if most english supporters were content to have gotten that far
You've summed it up pretty well. I agree about England not being good enough. It was hard to watch them sometimes.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
While certainly not a subject I am knowledgeable in, I wonder if maybe sport (if you can even consider soccer a sport), might be a common thread to bring the various factions together?
For example, Irish Bob said England didn't have the horses to bring home the trophy. My question would then be, could a combined team of England, NI, and the various other fractured teams combined be strong enough to win this once every 4 year competition?

I know the DUP was wasting time regarding the pouching of players (presumably for this gathering of hobbyists know as the World Cup), and I was deriding them for focusing on such things. Yet maybe sport, like nothing else, might have the orange & the green tribes work together for a common goal.
Heck if the RoI had one of the best teams, and NI did as well, why not unify to make a team that couldn't be beaten?

In America you can have hateful, even violent Black Panthers and KKK members sitting side by side rooting for the hometown team.
If that can happen, why not across the pond?

`

Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While certainly not a subject I am knowledgeable in, I wonder if maybe sport (if you can even consider soccer a sport), might be a common thread to bring the various factions together?
For example, Irish Bob said England didn't have the horses to bring home the trophy. My question would then be, could a combined team of England, NI, and the various other fractured teams combined be strong enough to win this once every 4 year competition?

I know the DUP was wasting time regarding the pouching of players (presumably for this gathering of hobbyists know as the World Cup), and I was deriding them for focusing on such things. Yet maybe sport, like nothing else, might have the orange & the green tribes work together for a common goal.
Heck if the RoI had one of the best teams, and NI did as well, why not unify to make a team that couldn't be beaten?

In America you can have hateful, even violent Black Panthers and KKK members sitting side by side rooting for the hometown team.
If that can happen, why not across the pond?

`
Thing is the Black Panthers and the KKK would probably agree that they are Americans. Yes, the island of Ireland is one but like Haiti and the Dominican Republic there are two different identities on the island of Ireland. However, there are a lot of organizations which are on an all-Ireland basis. Even the Orangemen are under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Ireland. It's the Church of Ireland too. These things were left in place when BU opted out.

The different football associations are not going to give up their 'own wee corner'. These associations have been in place since football became organized in the 1800's and the only matches played was between the four home countries.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Came across this on the net.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ireland-v-germany-1936-football-match.jpg  

Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 PM

465 posts, read 607,854 times
Some crazy points being made on both sides. You’d have to look long and hard to find Irish people boycotting British products in the 21st century. And I daresay the majority of Irish people were rooting for England in the World Cup. Sure there’s some tongue and cheek rivalry and insults, and I won’t argue with the point about who the Falls Road crowd is rooting against, but most people on the island were rooting for their neighbor, not to mention the Harry Kanes and Harry Maguires and any other English players with Irish ancestry. You’ll find many more footballers on the English team with Irish ancestry than any other team that made the World Cup....though I did raise an eyebrow when I saw a Delaney on the Danish team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom