Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There's only one poll that counts.
52%-48%.
Yes, I get that, and maybe to your surprise I think the UK should have gotten away from the EU. That also has nothing to do with how it might have a role in NI's future. However it does seem to have brought the issue into the light for a great many people that otherwise were ambivalent to what happens there.

So when you look at that graph, it does make clear that only a small section of NI voted to leave, with a majority (presumably Irish, moderate Unionists, etc.) wishing to stay within the EU.
As another poster pointed out, it is likely due to an economic self interest, which is the reverse of why some moderate Nationalists would prefer to stay attached to the UK's teat. This despite in theory wanting a united Ireland in principle.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:37 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yes, I get that, and maybe to your surprise I think the UK should have gotten away from the EU. That also has nothing to do with how it might have a role in NI's future. However it does seem to have brought the issue into the light for a great many people that otherwise were ambivalent to what happens there.

So when you look at that graph, it does make clear that only a small section of NI voted to leave, with a majority (presumably Irish, moderate Unionists, etc.) wishing to stay within the EU.
As another poster pointed out, it is likely due to an economic self interest, which is the reverse of why some moderate Nationalists would prefer to stay attached to the UK's teat. This despite in theory wanting a united Ireland in principle.

`
Only a small section ?
44.2% of people in Northern Ireland voted to leave the EU, while 55.8% voted to remain.
That's hardly a small section.
In fact the percentage difference with the national result is only just over the accepted 3% margin of error most opinion pollster allow in their results.
Besides,in a national poll it is irrespective of what one region decides - it would be like California refusing to accept the result of the last presidential election because it voted Democrat.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
It was so terribly difficult and challenging for the soldiers away back then with terrorists floating about residential areas mixing with people there and popping in and out making things so trying. Popping in and out of houses and so on. Despicable peopleWho was "innocent" and who was a killer was not like a normal warfare situation I also remember many years ago a van being stopped on a country road and a whole group of workers travelling in it were all taken out and massacred being Protestants. I still hold to the view that that clown Blair did what he did but soldiers singled out hardly balanced is it? Oh and let us not forget the church in Glasgow I mentioned years ago storing killing material and a monastery in Ulster that did likewise.

I remember there was another priest who was involved. He was getting timers something like what are used in car parks. A former IRA man had this to say.

Sean O'Callaghan IRA

I was the first though the door Peter Flanagan was at the bar reading the Irish Independent. He understood what was happening and moved from his stool: 'No please no !' I steadied, took aim and fired. He was still moving trying to escape. He stumbled to the door leading to the toilets and fell though it. I fired eight times in total and knew that most of, if not all, my shots had hit him. I remember looking at him as he lay face down on the floor of the toilet.

Eventually we pulled into a driveway leading to a house a couple of miles from Carrickmore. We drove round the back. As the car came to a halt the back door opened. A middle-aged priest was standing there. I knew him quite well, as I, had often stayed with him. The IRA had regularly used this house for meetings, for the induction of recruits and as a general safe house and base in the area. The priest was an active IRA sympathizer with influence at the highest levels of the republican movement. He was as good as regarded as a senior IRA activist.

As the four of us entered the house the senior priest insisted on blessing us with holy water from the little font inside the door. It was something he always did. Over dinner and more holy water, having listened to more radio and TV reports of the day's events, the senior priest said to me, 'Flanagan was an abominable man who sold his soul to the devil.'. The whole business left me feeling uneasy.

Peter Flanagan was a Roman Catholic policeman.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
I have occasionally wondered about that priest who fled to Eire and was the weapon storer here in Glasgow. For a while after he fled his chapel had to occasionally get protection. Unfortunately Ulsterman there were occasionally others who were supportive of the murderous rat bag sand makes one shake the had at supposedly Christian but okay iong terrorism?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
maoists!

Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I have occasionally wondered about that priest who fled to Eire and was the weapon storer here in Glasgow. For a while after he fled his chapel had to occasionally get protection. Unfortunately Ulsterman there were occasionally others who were supportive of the murderous rat bag sand makes one shake the had at supposedly Christian but okay iong terrorism?

Yes the same happened with Father Chesney . According to different reports he was involved in the Claudy bombing in which 9 people died

'Nine people died as a result of the three bombs in Claudy on a summer day in July 1972.
Their loved ones now know that Father Chesney played a central role in the attacks and that there was enough evidence for police to investigate his involvement.'

Last edited by Ulsterman; 04-03-2019 at 05:25 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I had not even heard they made their story into a movie. I will take the time to watch it if you say it is worth it, as some of these Netflix movies are so-so.

As we have discussed much of the mayhem and carnage was senseless killing without a purpose, other than an eye for an eye.
This was presumably something akin to that, assuming one can even get into the mind of people who do such things.

`
It's a documentary. One of the survivors spent a lot of years trying to piece together who was involved in the killings.

There is another very good documentary on Netflix as well called Bobby Sands: 66 days. It gives a lot of background history as well about The Troubles and Ireland, very interesting. It was made in collaboration with BBC Northern Ireland, Swedish Television, Danish Broadcasting Corporation and the Irish Film Board so I can't see how people can complain it is biased.

Last edited by Bernie20; 04-03-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
#lestweforgetthebarbarians

On this day in 1987 the IRA murdered Jimmy Oldman.
He was a 39-year-old store manager in Ederney.
The murderers ordered his schoolgirl cousin out of car & shot the off-duty UDR officer as he arrived at work.
To make absolutely sure he was dead they pumped 47 bullets into him in front of the young girl.
The IRA had held a family nearby hostage overnight & stole their car to get away.

Jeremy Corbyn has been a friend of and apologist for the IRA for decades.It's why there is so much anger at Theresa May's decision to sub-contract Brexit out to him.

The Tories will pay a heavy price at the next election.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It's a documentary. One of the survivors spent a lot of years trying to piece together who was involved in the killings.

There is another very good documentary on Netflix as well called Bobby Sands: 66 days. It gives a lot of background history as well about The Troubles and Ireland, very interesting. It was made in collaboration with BBC Northern Ireland, Swedish Television, Danish Broadcasting Corporation and the Irish Film Board so I can't see how people can complain it is biased.
Sounds interesting, so I will give it a shot and let you know.

As to claims of bias and the like, I have posted some fairly neutral sources and videos, and the orange tribe thinks they were written and directed by Adams himself.

`

Old 04-03-2019, 07:36 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Roscoe Conkling you are very spot on about that cold Corbyn and his long association with such people and becoming leader of a UK party. Head shaking stuff in that he was so pally with terror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom