Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM

18,543 posts, read 18,794,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I can appreciate the soldiers participation in the war at home any day I want no one needs a massive parade. How much do you think the parade costs? £300or £1? Probably costs in the millions or hundreds of thousands.
might be a quid for every life lost in two world wars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,491,750 times
Putin's doing the same thing that hitler did and he's totally nuclear. He's got bombers and subs going to your borders and senses weakness with scotland trying to break free.

You better remember!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't care though... so no don't celebrate.
Celebrate!? Celebrate what exactly, the death of millions of men defending freedom? The word you're looking for is commemorate. We need to commemorate the fact that other people sacrificed their lives so that you and I can live in a free country, these people NEED to be remembered for 7000 years let alone 70!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,396,464 times
I think 7,000 years in the future people wouldn't give a ****.

I can commemorate the soldiers at home over dinner. They should make Victory day like Christmas make everyone get involved - most people don't that note of the day.

All this parade is just doing it all wrong, I'd much prefer Victory day to be like Christmas and its more relevant than Christmas....

Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM

IF this is more to do with money being wasted by some..... if parades etc are stopped maybe the money could go towards helping severely wounded military who seem to be forgotten once theyve done their duty...

Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Celebrate!? Celebrate what exactly, the death of millions of men defending freedom? The word you're looking for is commemorate. We need to commemorate the fact that other people sacrificed their lives so that you and I can live in a free country, these people NEED to be remembered for 7000 years let alone 70!
You hit it on the nail. We do need to commemorate those brave men. There are sites online which show pictures of badly injured servicemen from both World War 1 and 2. Horrific facial injuries. Much of modern plastic surgery has it's origins in treatments first carried out after World War 1.

There is no glory in war. Only death and misery for all caught up in it. Those young men who went off to fight in the Second World War, had grown up seeing injured ex soldiers from the First World War all around them. Some reduced to selling boxes of matches in the street. Yet, they got called up, and off they went to fight for their country......... most very young men indeed.

Of the 120,000 who served in Bomber Command, over 55,000 were killed. It took guts to climb in those planes, and many were just teenagers to early 20s. Ordinary people like my wife's father. Just 19 years old shipped out to the deserts of north Africa to fight. We should never forget their sheer guts, and in many cases sacrifice. Yes, hold parades, and commemorate them. Without their bravery, our lives today would be very different.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM

16,647 posts, read 8,660,601 times
Quote:

Will we still be remembering in 70 years to come?
Hopefully future generations will be honoring the greatest generation and the sacrifices made to help keep your ilk pontificating as to whether they deserve remembrance.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,396,464 times
[quote=dizzybint;39580748]IF this is more to do with money being wasted by some..... if parades etc are stopped maybe the money could go towards helping severely wounded military who seem to be forgotten once theyve done their duty...[quote]

Yes, I think I've been misunderstood - my point was the money and the whole ''show'' VE day could be akin to Christmas, the money raised or available could used to donate to charities. Put up decorations NOT just a parade down Whitehall.

The parade is just a parade, its not helping or making the country remember. People remember the war throughout the year I don't need a parade to remind me. Its ''forced'' down our throats the poppies, too.

It may sound harsh but I routinely think about the war after all my own city was badly damaged of course I care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hopefully future generations will be honoring the greatest generation and the sacrifices made to help keep your ilk pontificating as to whether they deserve remembrance.
Maybe you're stupid or have issues reading but I clearly said I have no problem remembering, commemorating and reflecting on the war, the soldiers sacrifice or the suffering of the families during and after the war. I'm not the devil

I think dizzy gets my point the money could be used for even better uses.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times
Quote:

The parade is just a parade, its not helping or making the country remember. People remember the war throughout the year I don't need a parade to remind me. Its ''forced'' down our throats the poppies, too.
Oh gawd........ P......P........ listen. Stop digging a hole for yourself. Now you've mentioned poppies 'forced' down our throats............. You must have seen the many thousands who went to see the poppy display at the Tower of London. You know, the 888,000 ceramic poppies. Each one representing a dead soldier of the First World War? Just stop now........ I get what you're trying to say.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Oh gawd........ P......P........ listen. Stop digging a hole for yourself. Now you've mentioned poppies 'forced' down our throats............. You must have seen the many thousands who went to see the poppy display at the Tower of London. You know, the 888,000 ceramic poppies. Each one representing a dead soldier of the First World War? Just stop now........ I get what you're trying to say.
Poppy sales go towards Help for Heroes... as someone has said stop while your ahead..and please dont insult more by bringing up the wearing of a white poppy instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom