Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to start the process.

My husband is UK citizen and would like to return to the UK now that his parents are older.

He is currently in a C-level role in the US.

Any advice on how to make the transition back to the UK? Headhunter/recruiters suggestions? Should we just relocate and hope he find something.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm not sure where to start the process.

My husband is UK citizen and would like to return to the UK now that his parents are older.

He is currently in a C-level role in the US.

Any advice on how to make the transition back to the UK? Headhunter/recruiters suggestions? Should we just relocate and hope he find something.

thanks
Honestly ... it is very hard. I was in a pretty senior position in my own profession when I tried to move back to the UK. Despite working for a very well known firm, having an MBA and having years of good experience, I couldn't even get an interview. Eventually, a recruiter explained it.

1. They didn't understand my experience because much of it was outside the UK.
2. They didn't know my clients (companies like Pirelli, Philip Morris, Firmenich, Nestle, etc.) because they were not UK based.
3. They certainly didn't want to pay expenses to interview me (though I never asked for that).
4. They were more comfortable interviewing someone from 4 tube stops away.

By all means start looking from the US but be aware that you may have to move back without a job at the level you would like. Alternatively, find a US company that is looking to fill a position in the UK.

I was in Switzerland at the time and ended up transferring with my company to the USA.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Honestly ... it is very hard. I was in a pretty senior position in my own profession when I tried to move back to the UK. Despite working for a very well known firm, having an MBA and having years of good experience, I couldn't even get an interview. Eventually, a recruiter explained it.

2. They didn't know my clients (companies like Pirelli, Philip Morris, Firmenich, Nestle, etc.) because they were not UK based.
3. They certainly didn't want to pay expenses to interview me (though I never asked for that).

By all means start looking from the US but be aware that you may have to move back without a job at the level you would like. Alternatively, find a US company that is looking to fill a position in the UK.

I was in Switzerland at the time and ended up transferring with my company to the USA.

Thank you those are sort of the roadblocks I see. He did have 1 interview a while back but nothing panned out on that. He is more engaged now on searching in the UK and is there regularly. I could easily work for my current employer in the UK but my job isn't what pays the bills ;-).

Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Thank you those are sort of the roadblocks I see. He did have 1 interview a while back but nothing panned out on that. He is more engaged now on searching in the UK and is there regularly. I could easily work for my current employer in the UK but my job isn't what pays the bills ;-).
The more senior you are the harder it is. A lot of the hiring for those types of jobs (C suite) are based on networking and becoming known within that network. And that us where the recruiters and head-hunters are looking. Even if your hubby is qualified, he is not known in the UK and that is one of the road-blocks.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Getting a spouse visa should be your first consideration. It can be quite difficult/expensive these days.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Getting a spouse visa should be your first consideration. It can be quite difficult/expensive these days.
Really? My kids have UK passports and my husband does too. How hard can it to be to get a spouse visa? We were married in the UK.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:39 PM

9 posts, read 6,367 times
I've just applied for a settlement visa so we can move back. My husband and daughter are UK citizens. To apply cost about $2700 ( including courier service and the new healthcare surcharge) and we hope they approve it.
The UK citizen has to have a job or a job offer and has to have met financial minimums, proof of accommodation and relationship. The documentation required is significant and very specific. That gets you 2.5 years if approved. Then you do it again. It's a crazy process.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
I'm originally from Dublin, but have lived in Wash DC for 25 years. In 2013 I spent 20 weeks in Dublin for family issues. For multiple reasons I was glad to get back to the US, and I'm not c-suite.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Quote:
Really? My kids have UK passports and my husband does too. How hard can it to be to get a spouse visa? We were married in the UK.
Nothing to do with your kids, or where you were married. Rules were changed two years ago.

From my memory, your UK spouse will have to have a job making at least $18.5k pounds, and have had it for 3 months I believe. If he doesn't have a job, you have to have 62.5k pounds in a savings account, and it has to have been there for six months, under your control. No gifts or loans. No 3rd party sponsors. The $62.5k pounds must stay in savings for 2.5 years, until you apply for ILR. There are more rules after that. You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been in UK for five years. You cannot claim benefits during this time, although you would be eligible for NHS.

Need to check appropriate links for proper info - I'm just stating this by memory.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Nothing to do with your kids, or where you were married. Rules were changed two years ago.

From my memory, your UK spouse will have to have a job making at least $18.5k pounds, and have had it for 3 months I believe. If he doesn't have a job, you have to have 62.5k pounds in a savings account, and it has to have been there for six months, under your control. No gifts or loans. No 3rd party sponsors. The $62.5k pounds must stay in savings for 2.5 years, until you apply for ILR. There are more rules after that. You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been in UK for five years. You cannot claim benefits during this time, although you would be eligible for NHS.

Need to check appropriate links for proper info - I'm just stating this by memory.

You may be right, but she can definitely get a visa to live and work in the UK. She won't necessarily be granted citizenship but will be able to get a temporary permit of some kind. Citizen comes further down the line, but really doesn't matter so long as she can enter and live in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom