Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:05 AM

703 posts, read 446,851 times

Advertisements

The Honours List stinks in my opinion and should be seriously reformed or scrapped.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 04:40 AM

16,685 posts, read 17,457,574 times
It may be seen as archaic, but for many it is a nice way to be thanked for hard work and dedication in various fields.

What it should not be is a means of bestowing honours on political cronies, as highlighted by the awarding of a knighthood, for goodness sake, to Lynton Crosby. It's totally disproportionate.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 AM

367 posts, read 409,787 times
Crosby helped keep an economically-illiterate Ed Miliband out of power. Sounds like fine public service to me.

If he helps keep an even more economically-illiterate Jeremy Corbyn out of power, the Queen should grant him an hereditary title.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
The Honours List stinks in my opinion and should be seriously reformed or scrapped.
What do you think?
What 'harm' does it do to society? Why not honour somebody for hard work or dedication to a cause? Being honoured by anybody in anyway is something 'nice' surely? Getting a prize at school, an FA cup winners medal or a medal for running the London Marathon are all 'honours', why stop something that has positive connotations? I'm sure you have your reasons but out of interest why do you think it stinks?

Old 12-31-2015, 05:13 AM

531 posts, read 595,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
Crosby helped keep an economically-illiterate Ed Miliband out of power. Sounds like fine public service to me.

If he helps keep an even more economically-illiterate Jeremy Corbyn out of power, the Queen should grant him an hereditary title.
Somehow I think Corbyn should do a fine job of that without any help.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:22 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What 'harm' does it do to society? Why not honour somebody for hard work or dedication to a cause? Being honoured by anybody in anyway is something 'nice' surely? Getting a prize at school, an FA cup winners medal or a medal for running the London Marathon are all 'honours', why stop something that has positive connotations? I'm sure you have your reasons but out of interest why do you think it stinks?
well I think it stinks as when some of these people are being honoured when their past or present behaviour isnt investigated enough or maybe covered up.... Jimmy Saville, Mugabe.. Rolf Harris, Blunt... and many more who had theirs taken from them when most had long records of misappropriate behavour, or downright torture.....

Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,613,693 times
definitely scrapped, its used too much for political cronyism. also honours when given to "ordinary" people are given for them doing their jobs which they are paid for, example a teacher is given an award for "services to education"...

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
definitely scrapped, its used too much for political cronyism. also honours when given to "ordinary" people are given for them doing their jobs which they are paid for, example a teacher is given an award for "services to education"...
have to agree Paul.... and not only that, its a lot to live up to once you have that award isnt it.... a boy I used to know built up his own business in Glasgow.. made a fortune, and he got an MBE for it ... why...

Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,613,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
have to agree Paul.... and not only that, its a lot to live up to once you have that award isnt it.... a boy I used to know built up his own business in Glasgow.. made a fortune, and he got an MBE for it ... why...
my point exactly.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,070,828 times
I think Damon Albarn deserves his OBE just for being handsome! Oh and he's a good singer and song-writer too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom