Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I grew up in Glasgow and went to college in Manchester at age 18. I was quite shocked by the violence in Manchester on a Friday or Saturday night. Made Glasgow seem quite tame in comparison.
Cant compare Jaggy as Ive never seen Manchester at night but can well imagine and believe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,716,001 times
Quote:
I was on holiday one time at the Beaches resort in Turks & Caicos. All inclusive including the alcohol and a drinking age of 18. Needless to say, the American kids went crazy. So it isn't just the Brits.
Absolutely right. My first experience with spring breakers was not a good one, all these kids wanted to drink was Tequila shots, so you can imagine the sort of carnage that was bound to ensue after a few rounds.

I saw a young couple trying to make their way back from the pool to the hotel, the young man fell and hit his head hard. His girlfriend was screaming and eventually the hotel first aid people got the kid back on his feet. This is the worst part, as they were led back to the hotel, the young lady, who was wearing a bikini, lost control of her bowels, not a pretty sight.

So every time I travel to Mexico I make sure it's not during spring break.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Absolutely right. My first experience with spring breakers was not a good one, all these kids wanted to drink was Tequila shots, so you can imagine the sort of carnage that was bound to ensue after a few rounds.

I saw a young couple trying to make their way back from the pool to the hotel, the young man fell and hit his head hard. His girlfriend was screaming and eventually the hotel first aid people got the kid back on his feet. This is the worst part, as they were led back to the hotel, the young lady, who was wearing a bikini, lost control of her bowels, not a pretty sight.

I have never seen young Americans at play. We go to Las Vegas, but not at spring break. It sounds like they are as bad as the young British.

I noticed while on holiday in Bulgaria a couple of weeks ago, this love of shots. Lots of little glasses lined up on the bar. This isn't something I ever saw in my salad days......... we just drank beer........

Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Not that long ago, my wife and I took a trip to the Czech Republic.

Prague was spectacular. Filled with tourists from all over - US, Germany, Russia, France... and Britain.

The British ones really stood out... and not in the best way.

Incessant loud swearing in public places in front of other people's kids ? Check.

Throwing fits in a restaurant because what they were served wasn't what they thought they ordered ? Check.

Yelling songs at 1 am while leaving the bar ? Check. (Apparently the Czech Police doesn't consider this a nuisance worth their time).

To be fair, English lads were OK... almost all of that kind of behavior came from young women. At least what we've observed.

So, is this typical ? Or did we just get a wrong impression ?
No, you didn't get the wrong impression, sadly things have been sliding that way for a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The only British tourists I ever seem to be aware of are older couples who seem like quite sophisticated travellers. Occasionally younger couples. Never have seen obnoxious behaviour from any of them.

Is Prague drawing a certain crowd?
Yes, it sells itself as THE place for stag and bachelorette parties, as does Riga in Latvia, and Budapest, Hungary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
This is possible - after all some beer over there was quite literally cheaper than water.

However, there were tons of tourists there. It's not a really large city, so the proportion of tourists vs locals was pretty high. You could hear German, French, American and British English everywhere. As I said, the ones that clearly stood out were the Brits. We did observe an Eastern European woman who was leaving a restaurant obviously drunk and barely able to walk straight but she was quiet. The rest of people were behaving well.

E.g we were sitting at the Globe - which is a nice bookstore / small restaurant with decent food and atmosphere - and the three British girls looking in their mid-20s at the next table who were loudly speaking the entire time, all we heard was "f#ck this" and "f#ck that" and "the f#cking c#nt dared to say" and so on. They didn't even appear all that drunk. And there were some other English speaking people with kids an arm length away. I was going to tell them to shut up but my wife intervened, she's always afraid I'd make a scene
Your wife was probably right, I can understand you wanting to ask them to tone it down, but you'd be taking your life in your hands with these skanks.
I was in a quite upmarket hotel bar in Carvoiero, Portugal once, where a 'hen party' of British women were effing and blinding curse words in loud tones, and spilling drinks on tables.
An English guy, around 38-45, politely and quietly asked them to ease up a bit, as there a few 14-15 y.o. kids there with their parents.
He was told to shut the blank up, or they would "cut him badly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
British people don't seem so bothered by the use of those words as Americans.
Unfortunately because we've become inured to it from our delinquent youth, it doesn't make us right, and the Americans wrong though, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Brits - toffs or hooligans.
Not true, and not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't see any of the locals turning English tourists away from their bars when they offer all day 'happy hours'! Honestly people like you make me sick, happy enough to take their money only too quick to complain about them when they're gone. I am sick and tired of 'Europeans' attitude to the British, personally I too hope we vote out, perhaps then it would be more difficult to spend our money in Spain and we can holiday in the UK instead, lets see if the Spanish are happier with empty resorts instead.
I haven't been to a Spanish beach resort for years now, preferring cities like Madrid, Valencia, or Murcia, but I think that I'd take my chances in Fallujah, Iraq, before contemplating Skegness in summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
There's nothing wrong with British beaches. Sometimes we even get sunny weather too!
You must have the memory of an elephant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have been on over 70 foreign holidays in the last 30 years or so. I have watched the British at play over those decades. I Have seen some horrendous behaviour, and also quiet folk just enjoying a family holiday.

A lot depends where you go, and the sort of British tourists the place attracts. Some places get a reputation for wild behaviour, and this in turn attracts mainly young tourists looking for that.

It should have been nipped in the bud many years ago. British tourists should have been shown quite clearly, that behaviour that won't be tolerated in Britain, won't be tolerated abroad. It's a little late in the day trying to regain control now.
Sadly Dave, as you no doubt are aware, it IS tolerated in Britain, a lot of city centres are like war zones on weekends, with the police unable to contain feral drunks of both sexes.
To a lot of this lowlife pond life, this is normal, and they carry on the same when abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I plan to visit Budapest one of these days, but I'd like to know if that other touristy central european city is as popular with "stag and hens parties"?
In a word, YES.

Quote:
I found that they tended to back off when the heard my Glasgow accent, however.
Probably couldn't understand you, and thought that you were a Russian ultra soccer hooligan.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
You must have the memory of an elephant!
Lol, yes I have actually! At least you didn't accuse me of having an arse the size of one.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,318,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post

Yep, same here. Back in the mid 90s went to a resort in Acapulco full of spring break kids from US and Canada and it was something else. People puking in the pool, people jumping in the pool from 2nd story balcony at night (it's a miracle nobody got hurt), people passed out in the sun, and the whole plane coming back to States full of puking teenagers. Yikes.

However, I'd say the big difference between them and what I observed these British girls do in Prague was demeanor - the spring break kids were far more drunk but not aggressive or mean, actually rather polite if you caught them with their brain still functioning to some degree.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:05 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Lol, yes I have actually! At least you didn't accuse me of having an arse the size of one.

I could hardly do that, I've never seen you, and on the off chance that you are female, I wouldn't do it anyway, we Southerners are nothing if not polite.
Reminds me of when a London black cab driver friend was telling me of the time he picked up Nigella Lawson.
He said, "Blinding boat race, (face), but she has an arse the size of a small country. He was a Scot.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I could hardly do that, I've never seen you, and on the off chance that you are female, I wouldn't do it anyway, we Southerners are nothing if not polite.
Reminds me of when a London black cab driver friend was telling me of the time he picked up Nigella Lawson.
He said, "Blinding boat race, (face), but she has an arse the size of a small country. He was a Scot.
Yes, I am female. Poor Nigella!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with Nigella....... When she looks sideways at the camera in her cookery shows, I just melt......

I think she is slimmer now, but even at her fattest, she was sex on legs.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Nothing wrong with Nigella....... When she looks sideways at the camera in her cookery shows, I just melt......

I think she is slimmer now, but even at her fattest, she was sex on legs.
She did slim down. She had drug problems, didn't she? And husband problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom