Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Trench foot too when the poor souls couldnt get the proper help and many lost feet and limbs.. no one waa there to pick up the pieces and it still goes on today..Prince Harry though has highlighted the needs of badly injured servicemen and does much more than our politicians do..Places like Erskine hospital near Glasgow whouldnt rely on charity to keep the going..
My wife's dad was badly injured fighting the Germans in North Africa in 1941. He was blown up from a bomb dropped by a Stuka dive bomber. You can imagine, nowhere to shelter, just surrounded by sand. While being carried away on a stretcher, he was shot in the side.

He spent two years in hospital, because of his injuries, and his foot being mangled. He was lucky not to lose his leg. He came home, and was given a small pension. He went back to work, and struggled on as best he could. Because he managed to keep working, a few years after the war, his pension was stopped. He never complained, and was a wonderful man.

Like I said, politicians back then, like now, have short memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:10 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times
Just think how many lives could have been saved and men ruined for life with injuries if Maggie Thatcher wouldnt have been so stubborn on the Falklands issue, she was offered a deal and turned it down flat..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
Quote:
Just think how many lives could have been saved and men ruined for life with injuries if Maggie Thatcher wouldnt have been so stubborn on the Falklands issue, she was offered a deal and turned it down flat..
Thatcher was absolutely right on the Falklands.

You cannot make a 'deal' with an extreme right wing military junta which has a well documented record of torturing and murdering innocent civilians and which invades another country and subjugates its citizens.

By winning the Falklands war, not only did we liberate our own people but we contributed to the fall of the junta and, no doubt, saved many Argentine civilians from the depredations of their military leaders.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Thatcher was absolutely right on the Falklands.

You cannot make a 'deal' with an extreme right wing military junta which has a well documented record of torturing and murdering innocent civilians and which invades another country and subjugates its citizens.

By winning the Falklands war, not only did we liberate our own people but we contributed to the fall of the junta and, no doubt, saved many Argentine civilians from the depredations of their military leaders.
still have to feel she was out to show just how much power she had... I didnt know about this recontruction going on in Glasgow and others places on the 1st, seems it was kept a secret, Id love to have got some photos.. First World War soldiers appear across country in moving Somme tribute - ITV News

Old 07-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
still have to feel she was out to show just how much power she had... I didnt know about this recontruction going on in Glasgow and others places on the 1st, seems it was kept a secret, Id love to have got some photos.. First World War soldiers appear across country in moving Somme tribute - ITV News
I saw this on the news yesterday dizzy. A fitting tribute to those brave men, and also at the same time, making it real to the people of today.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,074,130 times
There was a programme on BBC Wales last night, about Welsh soldiers at the Somme. The rugby player Gareth Thomas was presenting it, as he had two Great Uncles that had died there.

They told the story of the battle and showed him where his Uncles had died - it was all very emotional for him and his parents (he took them over there too).

So many Welsh soldiers died, that they called it 'Death Valley'. Of course, I couldn't help but think of my Great Grandfather, who lost his life too.

Gareth Thomas visits Mametz Wood in steps of ancestors - BBC News

Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
There was a programme on BBC Wales last night, about Welsh soldiers at the Somme. The rugby player Gareth Thomas was presenting it, as he had two Great Uncles that had died there.

They told the story of the battle and showed him where his Uncles had died - it was all very emotional for him and his parents (he took them over there too).

So many Welsh soldiers died, that they called it 'Death Valley'. Of course, I couldn't help but think of my Great Grandfather, who lost his life too.

Gareth Thomas visits Mametz Wood in steps of ancestors - BBC News
Visiting the place where his Great Uncles died must have been hard to deal with. Unlike nowadays, where there are videos, and lots of photos of us, and our relatives, all that's left of those brave men are a few faded black and white photos. We must always keep them in our collective memory, and never forget their bravery, and desire to serve their country.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Visiting the place where his Great Uncles died must have been hard to deal with. Unlike nowadays, where there are videos, and lots of photos of us, and our relatives, all that's left of those brave men are a few faded black and white photos. We must always keep them in our collective memory, and never forget their bravery, and desire to serve their country.
Yes, all that Gareth and his family had left was a photo each of his Great Uncles.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:45 AM

A few years back I spoke to a woman in Austrailia who wanted photos of graves in Stewarton Ayrshire of her two relatives who had died in WW1. both brothers... so I offered to go and find them for her.. luckily she had grave or lair numbers and wasnt too difficult to find.. I took some photos of both and posted them through to her.... She then sent me photos of both men and it was so touching.. to actually see these strangers who were in those graves ..

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
A few years back I spoke to a woman in Austrailia who wanted photos of graves in Stewarton Ayrshire of her two relatives who had died in WW1. both brothers... so I offered to go and find them for her.. luckily she had grave or lair numbers and wasnt too difficult to find.. I took some photos of both and posted them through to her.... She then sent me photos of both men and it was so touching.. to actually see these strangers who were in those graves ..
That was a nice gesture. Was it because you have a family tree on Ancestry? As I know that there are people on Ancestry who kindly offer to take photos of graves for others.

It was on Ancestry that I was able to find out details about my Great Grandfather. They have lots of military records to search from. Also, someone (I'm not exactly sure who they are) had a photo of the Thiepval Memorial and linked it to his name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom