Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM

296 posts, read 260,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Explain this to an American, how many parties does the UK have? Or rather how do you have so many people stepping down from leadership? How many leaders were there and what? Isn't the captain suppose to get off last?
The UK now has 3 major parties, Conservative, ( Tory ) Labour & The Scottish National Party. ( SNP )
There are of course smaller parties, about half a dozen, the Liberal party being the biggest ( most seats in parliment ) of the smallest

In the case of this thread, the UKIP leader stepped down, as he felt he had accomplished his goal, ie, the UK leaving the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
I thought Tory was separate from Labour, looks like I was wrong. News just goes back and forth with the names so I thought they were talking about different parties.

So if Cameron, and the labour party left, and that leaves the Scottish party, does that mean because Scottland voted to stay in the EU, they get the "majority" of parliament and can then "veto" the brexit vote? Can they "veto", or is that an American thing?

For some reason I thought the parliament there had a house of lords and commons? Are these people resigning all from one house of parliament? Can the other house just not pass brexit?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I thought Tory was separate from Labour, looks like I was wrong. News just goes back and forth with the names so I thought they were talking about different parties.

So if Cameron, and the labour party left, and that leaves the Scottish party, does that mean because Scottland voted to stay in the EU, they get the "majority" of parliament and can then "veto" the brexit vote? Can they "veto", or is that an American thing?

For some reason I thought the parliament there had a house of lords and commons? Are these people resigning all from one house of parliament? Can the other house just not pass brexit?
There are two major parties in Parliament that take turns in forming governments. Similar to your Republicans and Democrats. These are the Conservative, and Labour parties. We have smaller parties that win seats, but are always a minority, such as the Liberal Democrats. We also have a large group of MPs representing Scotland, northern Ireland, and Wales.

I'm doing this from memory, so if I make any mistakes..........

At a general election, we have a first past the post system. 650 constituencies fought for seats in the 2015 election. In each, the person who won the most public votes became the Member of Parliament for that area. The political party that wins the most seats forms a government. Preferably, with more seats, than all the other parties added together. This is known as having a workable majority.

The government right now, is the Conservatives. The Prime Minister, who has resigned, did so because he fought on the side to remain in the EU, and lost. He felt he had lost his mandate to remain as PM. So, there is now an election within his party, the winner of which will become PM.

The official opposition, the Labour party, are having an internal dispute. The majority of MPs have decided they don't like their leader, or his policies. So, they are trying to make him resign. The problem they have, is that he became leader by vote from Labour party members, who are ordinary people. The ones who post leaflets through doors during elections, that sort of thing. They want Jeremy Corbyn to remain as leader.

The Scottish National Party have 56 seats in Parliament. The Conservative government have about 330, or did so at the election last year. They cannot 'veto' the vote to leave the EU. The House of Lords are a load of old people, who like to talk, then doze off after a nice lunch. They don't have the power, the politicians in Parliament do.

There will be people here with a vast knowledge of how the political system runs here, but what I say is basically right.......I think.....

Old 07-05-2016, 01:06 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,336 times
This hissyfit isn't the first time Farage has "resigned" from UKIP as leader: once in 2009, and again in 2015.

I also wonder if he'll be quitting as an MEP and subsequently giving up his rather lavish salary & benefits from a Union he purports to hate?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
This hissyfit isn't the first time Farage has "resigned" from UKIP as leader: once in 2009, and again in 2015.

I also wonder if he'll be quitting as an MEP and subsequently giving up his rather lavish salary & benefits from a Union he purports to hate?
I think this time he means it Zola. He has achieved what he set out to do many years ago. I guess he wants to step back, and have more of a normal life. He may well remain as a MEP just to annoy them...... He really seemed to enjoy himself there with his last speech.

Plus of course, the money is really good. I don't see ol' Nigel through any rose tinted glasses. But, he got us a vote, which would never have happened without him. This one man has shaken up the whole political establishment. Not just here, but the entire world. For that, I thank him.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think this time he means it Zola. He has achieved what he set out to do many years ago. I guess he wants to step back, and have more of a normal life. He may well remain as a MEP just to annoy them...... He really seemed to enjoy himself there with his last speech.

Plus of course, the money is really good. I don't see ol' Nigel through any rose tinted glasses. But, he got us a vote, which would never have happened without him. This one man has shaken up the whole political establishment. Not just here, but the entire world. For that, I thank him.
He was laughed and jeered at , but by the ones who hadnt the balls to say what he did.. On you go Nigel, you did and said what you meant and achieved your goal..

Old 07-05-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
He was laughed and jeered at , but by the ones who hadnt the balls to say what he did.. On you go Nigel, you did and said what you meant and achieved your goal..
Yep. Laughed at for years. Like he said, they're not laughing now......... More balls than the rest of them added together.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yep. Laughed at for years. Like he said, they're not laughing now......... More balls than the rest of them added together.
"Great Balls of Fire Farage"

Old 07-10-2016, 08:50 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
I am an American that really didn't know all that much about Farage until Brexit. Watching his election night speech and seeing his act in Brussels as well as reading more about him, I can't but help be reminded of Ian Paisley. They have a lot of similarities from what I see and that is not something to be proud of.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I am an American that really didn't know all that much about Farage until Brexit. Watching his election night speech and seeing his act in Brussels as well as reading more about him, I can't but help be reminded of Ian Paisley. They have a lot of similarities from what I see.
Shows how much you know then, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom