Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,313 times

Advertisements

Surely nobody will be forced to leave, or the EU nations would retaliate by expelling UK expats. I just can see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,049,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Surely nobody will be forced to leave, or the EU nations would retaliate by expelling UK expats. I just can see it happening.
Of course its not going to happen, in fact I don't know why people think otherwise? Brexit was about taking control of our borders nothing else, for some reason people seem to think it means something completely different! Nobody is going to get deported, in fact there will still be immigration, just not an open border.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 AM

16,683 posts, read 17,455,385 times
I am fortunate in that I have the situation where I can walk away from this country and set up elsewhere, including in the delightful area of France that we are considering.

It misses the point however.

To go over the points that have been raised during the debate leading up to the vote would be like beating my head against a brick wall but already some of the consequences that were expressed by 'project fear' have happened or may be imminent.

Believe it or not I was very anti EU and still am but leaving is not the answer, as Nicola Sturgeon did an excellent job of pointing out in a far more mature debate north of the border.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
I don't know why they would leave voluntarily. Whatever brought them to Britain is still there for them. The only thing that makes illegal immigrants leave is a total lack of jobs. When we had a bad patch in the economy in the USA a few years back and jobs disappeared, some of the illegal immigrants packed up and went home.

I have to point out, though, as the economy has recovered, they have returned.

If Britain leaves the EU, it should be possible to get better control of legal immigration, no automatic admission just because a person was born in an EU country. It should be possible to tighten up border controls.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,577,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
You guys seeing any movement in your cities?

A lot of them are saying there is hostility, especially Polish are saying this, and planning to leave or at least thinking about it

I guess this will happen on it's own right, without government doing a single thing

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/wo...ritain-eu.html
I would think many multi generational Brits will likely be following them out as well. Most of these will be highly educated and well compensated business people tied very much to the international economy. London and the UK will no longer be a hub for people or international companies. I would think this will be especially true for American companies that want a base in Europe. The UK will no longer make much sense as a home for their European interests as it will not be a part of the European Union.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,439,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I would think many multi generational Brits will likely be following them out as well. Most of these will be highly educated and well compensated business people tied very much to the international economy. London and the UK will no longer be a hub for people or international companies. I would think this will be especially true for American companies that want a base in Europe. The UK will no longer make much sense as a home for their European interests as it will not be a part of the European Union.
Well we'll have to find a way to survive without them. There is more to my country than the nouveau riche of London.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,313 times
London will always be one of the world's major cities and it will always be a major center of business and finance. It's not going to fade away.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 AM

26,661 posts, read 28,733,368 times
I think you've done the right thing and that immigrants who came legally should be allowed to stay. That's about fairness--they came in a way that was legal at the time. They are not undocumented types who sneaked in, stole someone else's identity, and no one even knows who they are (like millions here in the USA--if you've got those in the UK, they should go.) They didn't break a law and do anything wrong. They came legally.

They came to the UK the right way and most have probably become part of the fabric of the country by now. Now the door will be closed but the country will have its own immigration policy so that those who meet the requirements are welcome.

No country can just allow Anyone to come in and live there permanently. Unlimited immigration doesn't work when there are limited jobs, limited space, limited housing.

You're not going to get the England of olde, but that's not possible nor is it necessarily desirable in this global age.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:06 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,684,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Well we'll have to find a way to survive without them. There is more to my country than the nouveau riche of London.
Indeed. This Yank has been subjected to the same sort of trans-nationalist prattle for decades, from people known here as "Neoconsevatives", who've told us incessantly that the U.S. will collapse, full on Road Warrior dystopia, if we don't have immigration, multiculturalism, and low cost overseas manufacture. Many of my fellow countrymen have finally caught on to the whole scam and no longer accept the current crop of Neocons and their lies, which is why there's a virtual insurrection in U.S. politics today within our so-called "conservative" Republican party.

Britain: It's called that because the people who live there are supposed to be British.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,544,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
You guys seeing any movement in your cities?

A lot of them are saying there is hostility, especially Polish are saying this, and planning to leave or at least thinking about it

I guess this will happen on it's own right, without government doing a single thing

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/wo...ritain-eu.html
NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Is the answer mate

No but seriously I'd hate for the polish ( especially ) or any other that was intimidated into leaving.... Some have wives and children plus the issue of visas or the crackdown won't happen for ages yet IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom